Photo

What do you think is the hardest country to operate out of?

• Please log in to reply
201 replies to this topic

Avelo

Avelo

ae4ever

• 1,328 posts

User's Awards

5    2   

What's 5/20?

A regulation in the Indian aviation market that requires new airlines to operate domestically for five years and have a minimum of 20 planes in order to expand internationally.

Marb1

Marb1

Transport and aviation fan

• 1,782 posts

A regulation in the Indian aviation market that requires new airlines to operate domestically for five years and have a minimum of 20 planes in order to expand internationally.

Cool, I didn't know that!  :P

Avelo

Avelo

ae4ever

• 1,328 posts

User's Awards

5    2   

Cool, I didn't know that! :P

In fact, applying that rule helped my airline become profitable enough to open more hubs and order widebodies in future years without incurring losses.

HanTseng

HanTseng

AE Luver

• 335 posts

User's Awards

21    7    6    3   

Before the whole thread gets off-topic, another hard country I've experienced that is hard to operate out of is New Zealand.

Firstly it's very isolated, like very very isolated, the only big market you can serve with narrowbodies is Australia. Secondly, if you were to serve anywhere else, the demand is there but it's not that high, around 300-400 daily passengers for major cities and 100-200 for secondary cities, which isn't huge. Lastly, if you have a competitor in the domestic market, be prepared to make losses and go on price wars.  ;)

Agree! Now running Air New Zealand and found out most of the Australian and domestic routes are under competition from spamming, and Asian destinations have very low demand out of AKL.

post-80164-0-49508800-1518631495.png

BV6atB1.png

vxfPiWg.png

kingoftheskies

kingoftheskies

I breathe SQ but not their fares :/

• 377 posts

Agree! Now running Air New Zealand and found out most of the Australian and domestic routes are under competition from spamming, and Asian destinations have very low demand out of AKL.

I had a period of time where I was competing with another NZ player, and also against 2 Australian carriers, I was losing $$ on most of the transtasman routes.  :rolleyes:

xkDm6U0.png

aZ0BcgW.png

MGnazId.png

194wCOY.png

C49JvWP.png

Infestation

Infestation

Sardines Are Decent In A Way Only Monkeys Understand..

• 664 posts

User's Awards

Rwanda sucks

post-84154-0-29696800-1507229128_thumb.jae3ra_6.jpgae3o2_412.jpg

I am edible. If you eat me though, you are a cannibal

Avelo

Avelo

ae4ever

• 1,328 posts

User's Awards

5    2   
Try India domestically. I bet most players who start in that country focus on flying internationally to big-name destinations like BKK, DXB, and HKG while neglecting otherwise popular domestic network, as is the case with Rα. In fact, I even have a near-monopoly on the Indian domestic market there ^_^

Arianka

Arianka

eternal sunshine

• 2,057 posts

User's Awards

5          11   

French Polynesia.

Whirligig

Whirligig

AE Player

• 93 posts

User's Awards

Andorra, Liechtenstein, Monaco, San Marino, and the Vatican City. Why? 

Because none of these countries have airports.

NotSureWhatToUse

NotSureWhatToUse

AE Player

• 51 posts

User's Awards

North Korea I believe. I heard few people try it, good luck making a profit

Marb1

Marb1

• 1,782 posts

North Korea I believe. I heard few people try it, good luck making a profit

AHHC ▲☺▲

AHHC ▲☺▲

AE Player

• 46 posts

User's Awards

13    4      
North Korea

Marb1

Marb1

• 1,782 posts

North Korea

AirOrlando

AirOrlando

AE Addict To-Be

• 15 posts

I've been trying to make Bahamasair work. I've made a little niche into the market, but I'm constantly losing money. So, the Bahamas (or really anywhere in the Caribbean) is a pretty hard area to work out of.

Pasti

Pasti

Fowl Play

• 1,032 posts

User's Awards

Any part of the Caribbean owned by a European country.

Airports don't have much demand, are far away from big airports, and any other airline from the mainland country can easily set up shot and ruin what you have going on.

siggie3.png

Jarkii

Jarkii

Airline Simulation Addict

• 301 posts

User's Awards

2    3   

Isn't Greenland the obvious first?

Avelo

Avelo

ae4ever

• 1,328 posts

User's Awards

5    2   

Any part of the Caribbean owned by a European country.

Airports don't have much demand, are far away from big airports, and any other airline from the mainland country can easily set up shot and ruin what you have going on.

Then why does Air Caraibes still fly?

Nikki Takeya

Nikki Takeya

Look at me

• 14 posts

No.

The hardest country to start with is Monaco, that micronation surrounded by France - it had only one helipad with about 200k traffic each year, and plus, it's not an European Union member, so it's not in the open sky agreement of EU. You can't fly in EU routes, and you really can't fly anywhere because the range of helicopters are limited. 

You can fly probably only to Nice, maybe Marseille and Milan also, but that's it.

It's likely the only country without an actrual proper airport that you can play with in AE - you can't startup in San Marino or Vatican, because they don't even have a helipad.

Avelo

Avelo

ae4ever

• 1,328 posts

User's Awards

5    2   

No.
The hardest country to start with is Monaco, that micronation surrounded by France - it had only one helipad with about 200k traffic each year, and plus, it's not an European Union member, so it's not in the open sky agreement of EU. You can't fly in EU routes, and you really can't fly anywhere because the range of helicopters are limited.
You can fly probably only to Nice, maybe Marseille and Milan also, but that's it.
It's likely the only country without an actrual proper airport that you can play with in AE - you can't startup in San Marino or Vatican, because they don't even have a helipad.

Nobody would even be willing to fly in helicopters anyway, so they're virtually useless in AE.

Nikki Takeya

Nikki Takeya

Look at me

• 14 posts

Nobody would even be willing to fly in helicopters anyway, so they're virtually useless in AE.

yep.

But technically, you can open an airline operating in Monaco, and use helicopters.

So it's the hardest.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users