Photo

Double Standards of Gate Hogging

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
137 replies to this topic

eti555

eti555

• 82 posts
Why is this more legal than the LF bug? Who decides that? Once again is there a thread wich explain what's cheating and what's not?

ian

ian

• 436 posts
i think its not considered cheating because it happens in the real world every day.

drv4truk

drv4truk

AE Winner

• Veteran
  • 2,273 posts

Why is this more legal than the LF bug?

Gate hogging is not abusing a bug in AE.
Posted ImagePosted Image

eti555

eti555

• 82 posts

I know it's worst to abuse a bug than to use gate hogging but still it's not written anywhere...

glarus

glarus

• 93 posts

Neither is selling a plane at 1/2 price. I really don't see a problem with that, though I have never done it. I think it's particularly "not cheating" since a player that can afford to sell a plane so cheaply usually is already established high in the rankings, is going to take a loss, and likely is selling it to a much smaller airline, since other alliance mates that are large don't need such charity.

glarus

glarus

• 93 posts
I've read this entire thread, and here's what I think.

This is a game. Last round was my first full round, and I did reasonably well. So far this round, I'm doing better. That's what makes it fun, learning lessons and applying them. Cheating works against the fun factor. I feel like more of you should realize it's not about the rankings. If you think it is, you should re-think. The rankings serve as an effective tool for gauging how you're doing. That's it. By now, I realize that if players dominate certain cities, they'll dominate the rankings. That's just the way the game is. But if you're not hung up on rankings, you can derive just as much joy from building a solid hub at a small city, and being the king of a small kingdom.

People who abuse the way the game works reduce the fun others have. That's just not cool. Holding gates, however, and alliances that are able to do major plane buys, are not cheating. That's just economies of scale and cooperation at work. The AE community as a whole could do other things that would defeat the game engine, like engage in mass price-fixing (since AE has no US Dept of Justice Antitrust Division :D) , but it doesn't happen.

Anyway, I try not to get hung up on what other players do. Is it frustrating that I can't get the gates I need? Sure. Is it more frustrating now that I know people might be holding them? Absolutely. It's a pain in the butt too, to try to get on the computer at changeover to snag the precious gates that might be available at that time. Kinda takes away from the fun. And people wonder why others have stopped playing.

hightimesair

hightimesair

• 23 posts
I wonder what Hightimes is doing with his 15 Beeches? Hmm? Strange that no one points the finger at the airline with the games #2 sized fleet. I think this thread has much more to do with bashing other players rather than going after gate hoarding. Let's keep it friendly people, it's just a game, and some people, like me, have a responsibility to their alliance to maintain gates for late game purposes.

Timsher

Timsher

Just a ling

• 573 posts
  • WLM ID:Timsher@gmail.com
  • Yahoo ID:Timsher19
For everyone's information there is no policy about gate holding within ACE. It is officially discouraged if it's outside the spirit of the game (more on that below). We were going to vote in a policy, but a senior member pointed out that in my disgust/anger about this practice I had virtually forced members to vote for it, something I did/do not want to do or be accused of. I saw what I had done wrong and decided let it pass to give myself some time to cool off about the subject. No doubt this practice upsets me greatly and it is one of the main reasons I decided not to start playing this round. We may have a policy voted on soon, but it will have to be done in the right way, not the crooked political way.

Directed @ Ian:Then explain me why I saw you were flying it 25 times a couple days ago???

I believe that holding gates for aircraft soon to be delivered is in the spirit of the game, whereas buying mass gates to keep competition out is not. Many people disagree with me (on both sides), and I can understand thier arguments, but I think there's a stark difference between the two.
Posted Image

LOT 737-300

LOT 737-300

• 274 posts
  • WLM ID:kw5024@cs.com
  • AIM Screen Name:kw5024
  • Yahoo ID:lot767300

I wonder what Hightimes is doing with his 15 Beeches? Hmm? Strange that no one points the finger at the airline with the games #2 sized fleet. I think this thread has much more to do with bashing other players rather than going after gate hoarding. Let's keep it friendly people, it's just a game, and some people, like me, have a responsibility to their alliance to maintain gates for late game purposes.

Well, there have to be at least 30 in the top 50 that are involved in this, we can't get them all. Anyways, its your loss (why can't you guys just save up for a terminal, then you guys can hold all the gates you want and not lose anything from it (and its cheaper to pay for then)).

I believe that holding gates for aircraft soon to be delivered is in the spirit of the game, whereas buying mass gates to keep competition out is not. Many people disagree with me (on both sides), and I can understand thier arguments, but I think there's a stark difference between the two.

I could've sworn that you guys did have one, perhaps I misread something. Well I guess that this makes W900A the only alliance with a enforced policy on gate hogging.
Here is the poll from our forum if you guys wanna see:
http://z14.invisionf...hp?showtopic=90
If any of you guys see any W900A in widespread gate hogging ops, then please, contact me or Free Jet airways (n777co on this forum), then we'll try to get it worked out ASAP.

i think its not considered cheating because it happens in the real world every day.

Yes, it does, but not to the extent that you guys do it. I don't recall airlines putting 15 Beeches on with 100x frequencies ORD-MDW or LHR-GTW or any route like that. A airline would be committing suicide for that. And they're holding like one or two gates worth of slots, as opposed to 10-15.

shoman

shoman

• 9 posts
why don't you allow unlimited gates/airport? guess competition will sort out most routes by itsself and not by holding gates ....
cargogroup

Africaspotter

Africaspotter

Mr McCool

• 323 posts
  • Skype Name:Africaspotter
Here is another one, doing gate hogging, also one of the top airlines: Braniff Airways (http://sim.airlineem...p?player=12318). Just look at SFO-SJC (http://sim.airlineem...=SFO&city2=SJC), 31 frequencies on a 32 mile route. Really sad to see this happening. Available gates at SFO just dropped from about 30 to zero because of this. Really sad that people feel the need to do this. And you can't tell me he is gonna fill all this slots he is holding with valuable routes soon.

Cheers,

Felix
Voyage (13814) ... Number one airline.

The Number 1-Travel-Wiki at http://www.wikivoyage.org

Americana

Americana

• 19 posts
Oh yeah, but Braniff got mad because I started throwing 1 dollar fares on those routes so then all of his RFA buddies came in and snatched up all the gates to lock me out. Whatever, I moved and Im making more money now.

BTW, that was my airline u posted, not his, and I wasnt gate hogging.

JuanTrippe

JuanTrippe

• 69 posts
He'll get an asterick too then. :thumbdown:

Anyone else got a hogger in their backyard??

JuanTrippe

JuanTrippe

• 69 posts
And for our KLM and Australis WAA gate hoggers,

I had a stellar year last year and even picked up some more of those CDG gates at the change over. So put that in your pirate pipe and spoke it.

So much for idle threats. :D

Maestro69

Maestro69

El Original Mod, AE Beta Tester

• AE Moderator
  • 4,010 posts

User's Awards

3    3   

And for our KLM and Australis WAA gate hoggers,

I had a stellar year last year and even picked up some more of those CDG gates at the change over. So put that in your pirate pipe and spoke it.

So much for idle threats. :D

U got more gates? Am i supposed to be worried? Yeah.. didnt think so

dleLlDN.png?raw=1

JuanTrippe

JuanTrippe

• 69 posts
Well, I guess we both agree on one thing.

Neither of us is scared. :D

JuanTrippe

JuanTrippe

• 69 posts
I'm getting the feeling you don't like me Australis.

Glennos

Glennos

toowit towoo

• Veteran
  • 1,683 posts
  • WLM ID:badtothebone99@gmail.com

http://sim.airlineempires.net/playerinfo.php?player=12318)[/url]. Just look at SFO-SJC (http://sim.airlineem...=SFO&city2=SJC), 31 frequencies on a 32 mile route. Really sad to see this happening. Available gates at SFO just dropped from about 30 to zero because of this. Really sad that people feel the need to do this. And you can't tell me he is gonna fill all this slots he is holding with valuable routes soon.

Cheers,

Felix

And you can bet your life that this is Braniff aswell

http://sim.airlineem...1=SFO&city2=OAK

But like I care ...
Posted Image

Americana

Americana

• 19 posts
Ahhh, thats where all those gates went.....Real classy. Oh well, Im doing just as well, elsewhere.

Maestro69

Maestro69

El Original Mod, AE Beta Tester

• AE Moderator
  • 4,010 posts

User's Awards

3    3   

I'm getting the feeling you don't like me Australis.

I dont like people who dont think before they post. Had u been playing for over 2 years, as i have and seen what i do round after round, u have known that getting a few gates for later isnt as bad as u make it.

Oh well, as i always said, i let my actions in the game do the talking.

dleLlDN.png?raw=1

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users