Photo

Your First Car

• Please log in to reply
90 replies to this topic

zortan

zortan

AE Winner

• 2,515 posts

You can't fit three people in the front row of a suburban. Not only are there only two seats, but to carry 8 passengers (so 9 including driver) you need a special drivers license, at least in North Carolina and i assume in many other US states. 

Not in washington :P There is a option to get a front bench, it's still offered in some places.

JP.

JP.

The resident Dutch Belgian

• 1,384 posts

User's Awards

Not in washington :P There is a option to get a front bench, it's still offered in some places.

No.

DWA_10_years_sig.png

YAjRqwL.png

zortan

zortan

AE Winner

• 2,515 posts

No.

yes

HanTseng

HanTseng

AE Luver

• 335 posts

User's Awards

21    7    6    3   

If it's like that, what the difference between a full-size SUV like the Yukon or Suburban compared to a minivan. Toyota Sienna and Honda Odyssey can seat 8 or 7 people. And, the minivans are a lot cheaper than the SUVs, something like about 30,000 to 50,000.

Are they used for different purpose? Or why do people choose each one?

post-80164-0-49508800-1518631495.png

BV6atB1.png

vxfPiWg.png

zelalemon

zelalemon

immature

• 116 posts

If it's like that, what the difference between a full-size SUV like the Yukon or Suburban compared to a minivan. Toyota Sienna and Honda Odyssey can seat 8 or 7 people. And, the minivans are a lot cheaper than the SUVs, something like about 30,000 to 50,000.

Are they used for different purpose? Or why do people choose each one?

A suburban can do things a minivan can't. It has much more engine power than a sienna, so it can actually tow things. A suburban can also handle rough terrain, a sienna cannot. A suburban also has a tiny bit more storage space. minivans are also not cool at all

CLT, BOS, JFK, LGA, EWR, ALB, BDL, SYR, HPN, EWN, RDU, PHL, ATL, CVG, MCO, DCA, IAD, BWI, MDW, HOU, DFW, PHX, DEN, BZN, FAT, SAN, LAX, BUR, SBA, SFO, SEA, ANC, KOA, MTJ, MBJ, SXM, CUN, PVR, YVR, SJO, JNB, LLW, LGW

A319, A320, A321, A333, A346, B734, B738, B752, B762, CRJ2, CRJ7, CRJ9, E145, E170, E190, DH8B

AWE, AAL, DAL, UAL, SAA, SWA

Stevphfeniey

Stevphfeniey

Bad m*****f*****

• 4,249 posts
Also having a huge SUV lets everybody know that your penis is definitely not like a little button in a fur coat

please don't kill us we're just the aquabats

The Best Discord Server

zortan

zortan

AE Winner

• 2,515 posts

A suburban can do things a minivan can't. It has much more engine power than a sienna, so it can actually tow things. A suburban can also handle rough terrain, a sienna cannot. A suburban also has a tiny bit more storage space. minivans are also not cool at all

haha true. Also - most minivans are made by toyota and honda, at least here in usa. and ppl here like the domestic cars (tesla and the big three) better. Like, my dad was looking at minivans, but bought a tesla model x instead. Worse car, but it's american and looks amazing

HanTseng

HanTseng

AE Luver

• 335 posts

User's Awards

21    7    6    3   

haha true. Also - most minivans are made by toyota and honda, at least here in usa. and ppl here like the domestic cars (tesla and the big three) better. Like, my dad was looking at minivans, but bought a tesla model x instead. Worse car, but it's american and looks amazing

True, but aren't Dodge Grand Caravan and Chrysler Pacifica domestic cars?

post-80164-0-49508800-1518631495.png

BV6atB1.png

vxfPiWg.png

zortan

zortan

AE Winner

• 2,515 posts

True, but aren't Dodge Grand Caravan and Chrysler Pacifica domestic cars?

They're the only ones, also - the Caravan is terrible and outdated and the pacifica is rly expensive for a minivan

zelalemon

zelalemon

immature

• 116 posts

They're the only ones, also - the Caravan is terrible and outdated and the pacifica is rly expensive for a minivan

the base pacifica is less expensive than the base sienna and the base odyssey

CLT, BOS, JFK, LGA, EWR, ALB, BDL, SYR, HPN, EWN, RDU, PHL, ATL, CVG, MCO, DCA, IAD, BWI, MDW, HOU, DFW, PHX, DEN, BZN, FAT, SAN, LAX, BUR, SBA, SFO, SEA, ANC, KOA, MTJ, MBJ, SXM, CUN, PVR, YVR, SJO, JNB, LLW, LGW

A319, A320, A321, A333, A346, B734, B738, B752, B762, CRJ2, CRJ7, CRJ9, E145, E170, E190, DH8B

AWE, AAL, DAL, UAL, SAA, SWA

zortan

zortan

AE Winner

• 2,515 posts

the base pacifica is less expensive than the base sienna and the base odyssey

lol I didn't see that. whoops. 

Tesla

Tesla

Inactive

• 2,392 posts

How is a tesla model x a worse car than a minivan. A Model X is frickin' awesome wherever you are sitting.

zortan

zortan

AE Winner

• 2,515 posts

How is a tesla model x a worse car than a minivan. A Model X is frickin' awesome wherever you are sitting.

Well - there's a long list. Here goes - don't say I'm wrong, I have one!:

1. Seat Comfort and Legroom: The third row seat is almost touching the back of the second row, so you don't really have any space. Luckily - We have the 6-seat, so I can put my seats up the aisle, but for the 7-seat package, i can't imagine it would be good, especially for me at 6 feet or even my brother at 5'4" - he was complaining after a 1-hour drive in the third row Seat comfort: Second row seats, while they do have the cool power recline and stuff, are really thinly padded, and the cushions on the third row don't provide much support at all. The headrests on all seats are rock-hard, but that's not tesla's fault - they're all like that these days. Just saying though, I'd rather sit in my 2004 Volvo V70R than in the Tesla - plus the Volvo seats 7 instead of the tesla's 6 - so.....
  2. Cargo room: When the third row is up - I can barely fit anything in that minuscule trunk. Example: Once we (family of 4) took two extra guests (6 total) on a trip to a family friend's birthday party. We also have a dog. We stuffed the Frunk full - and that isn't AC'ed BTW, and then also the smuggler's hatch. The dog then had to stand on top of the lid the smuggler's hatch, and we could barely close the trunk with him in it behind the third row - definitely NO room for his crate - he could barely move the entire time - I doubt he was happy - I definitely wasn't in the third row - see point above
  3. Autopilot: While many people like this feature - we've got the AP2.0 on our recent P100D model - and it is pretty damn idiotic. once it tried to turn off the road and into a ravine, and once it very nearly rear-ended a BMW 3-series after taking a corner on a normal downtown city street - it isn't the smartest
  4. Price - I know that Tesla's added more standard features for the new models, but honestly, we had to pay more for heated and cooled seats on a $150,000 car - we also had to pay more for good speakers, more for any paint color other than black, and more for other wheels, should we have wanted them. We also had to pay for a decent climate control system, and we had to pay for many other things which are standard on sub-$100,000 cadillacs 24-7
  5. Doors - while the doors are frickn' amazing - they do have a few flaws. They require a lot of height, which is definitely not ideal for an urban parking garage. Also see the next point for another bit on the doors.
  6. Reliability: As soon as we got the car - the AC was broken. The heater worked, but no cold air ever came out of it. It was January - so that was fine, but in May, we realized it didn't work. It took them over a month to get parts, etc. and it took forever to get the sweating done with. Also - doors. The right falcon wing is broken for us. it's badly aligned, so when you close it, it sometimes strikes the window with the main body of the car, so our rear window on that side is very chipped - and so we can't even use the door for fear of breaking the window totally.

Probably a bunch more i'm forgetting - But my fingers are getting tired from typing so much

Tesla

Tesla

Inactive

• 2,392 posts

Well - there's a long list. Here goes - don't say I'm wrong, I have one!:

1. Seat Comfort and Legroom: The third row seat is almost touching the back of the second row, so you don't really have any space. Luckily - We have the 6-seat, so I can put my seats up the aisle, but for the 7-seat package, i can't imagine it would be good, especially for me at 6 feet or even my brother at 5'4" - he was complaining after a 1-hour drive in the third row Seat comfort: Second row seats, while they do have the cool power recline and stuff, are really thinly padded, and the cushions on the third row don't provide much support at all. The headrests on all seats are rock-hard, but that's not tesla's fault - they're all like that these days. Just saying though, I'd rather sit in my 2004 Volvo V70R than in the Tesla - plus the Volvo seats 7 instead of the tesla's 6 - so.....
  2. Cargo room: When the third row is up - I can barely fit anything in that minuscule trunk. Example: Once we (family of 4) took two extra guests (6 total) on a trip to a family friend's birthday party. We also have a dog. We stuffed the Frunk full - and that isn't AC'ed BTW, and then also the smuggler's hatch. The dog then had to stand on top of the lid the smuggler's hatch, and we could barely close the trunk with him in it behind the third row - definitely NO room for his crate - he could barely move the entire time - I doubt he was happy - I definitely wasn't in the third row - see point above
  3. Autopilot: While many people like this feature - we've got the AP2.0 on our recent P100D model - and it is pretty damn idiotic. once it tried to turn off the road and into a ravine, and once it very nearly rear-ended a BMW 3-series after taking a corner on a normal downtown city street - it isn't the smartest
  4. Price - I know that Tesla's added more standard features for the new models, but honestly, we had to pay more for heated and cooled seats on a $150,000 car - we also had to pay more for good speakers, more for any paint color other than black, and more for other wheels, should we have wanted them. We also had to pay for a decent climate control system, and we had to pay for many other things which are standard on sub-$100,000 cadillacs 24-7
  5. Doors - while the doors are frickn' amazing - they do have a few flaws. They require a lot of height, which is definitely not ideal for an urban parking garage. Also see the next point for another bit on the doors.
  6. Reliability: As soon as we got the car - the AC was broken. The heater worked, but no cold air ever came out of it. It was January - so that was fine, but in May, we realized it didn't work. It took them over a month to get parts, etc. and it took forever to get the sweating done with. Also - doors. The right falcon wing is broken for us. it's badly aligned, so when you close it, it sometimes strikes the window with the main body of the car, so our rear window on that side is very chipped - and so we can't even use the door for fear of breaking the window totally.

Probably a bunch more i'm forgetting - But my fingers are getting tired from typing so much

Ouch. Sounds like the X is a poor purchase compared to an S then.

zortan

zortan

AE Winner

• 2,515 posts

Ouch. Sounds like the X is a poor purchase compared to an S then.

Yes - probably it is. It has the show-off factor, but just isn't that great. Another thing: Absolutely NO storage in the second row for ANYTHING. There's a couple of cupholders, but that's it. I hear that they're now offering a console, but we didn't get offered that at the time - literally no where to put anything except on the floor!

Tesla

Tesla

Inactive

• 2,392 posts

Yes - probably it is. It has the show-off factor, but just isn't that great. Another thing: Absolutely NO storage in the second row for ANYTHING. There's a couple of cupholders, but that's it. I hear that they're now offering a console, but we didn't get offered that at the time - literally no where to put anything except on the floor!

That's so bad. Clearly, the way it is going. The S is going to be tesla's best product, then the 3, then the X. The X is looking more and more pointless the more I read and hear about it.

Spyrosv

Spyrosv

AE Addict

• 855 posts
The doors look really cool but as Zortan said, it's not the most convenient thing for a family mid-SUV vehicle. The fact that you need to pay so much extra money for really basic stuff for a car sounds stupid. I could go for a GT-R or even an R8 in pretty much the same price.

zortan

zortan

AE Winner

• 2,515 posts

The doors look really cool but as Zortan said, it's not the most convenient thing for a family mid-SUV vehicle. The fact that you need to pay so much extra money for really basic stuff for a car sounds stupid. I could go for a GT-R or even an R8 in pretty much the same price.

Yes!!! I totally agree with that. 

That's so bad. Clearly, the way it is going. The S is going to be tesla's best product, then the 3, then the X. The X is looking more and more pointless the more I read and hear about it.

Yeah - that's how it's going. I mean - the X has its good points like power front and rear doors, but the S is far better

Tesla

Tesla

Inactive

• 2,392 posts

I would say that an X is a far better buy than those two, as it is quicker at legal speeds, but the S is even better still, and the 3 is set to radically change how the entire market operates and what people expect

zortan

zortan

AE Winner

• 2,515 posts

I would say that an X is a far better buy than those two, as it is quicker at legal speeds, but the S is even better still, and the 3 is set to radically change how the entire market operates and what people expect

Possibly. The X may be quicker than those two, but it only ties the Corvette Z06 when it's in ludicrous. The 3 may change the market because it's a tesla and has the wow feature, but there is also the Bolt, which does compete quite heavily in that market, in terms of cheap electric cars that aren't terrible and have some semblance of range.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users