Overcrowded Airspace

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
113 replies to this topic

Crazy764

Crazy764

• 206 posts

Originally posted by piercey
Crazy, It's not the fact that we hate the newbies, it's the fact that they are coming in swarms and taking over the routes very fast!:)

So? If they are good, then they'll win. If they suck, you will.

Like I said, it's survival of the fittest. Just like in real life. The losers will go bankrupt.

-------------------------------

Although we may want to rethink the easiness of declaring bankruptcy in this game. Right now, it's too easy. You just click a buttons, and you are reset with new planes and money. Doesn't really happen like that in real life.

Perhaps we should limit the number of bankruptcies before an airline must go into liquidation?

[Edited on 6/14/2005 by Crazy764]

Canadian

Canadian

AE Luver

• 347 posts
Or maybe not give them planes or cities as we do now? Make them buy a Beech and lease gates and actually work up?

Crazy764

Crazy764

• 206 posts

Originally posted by AirCanada
Or maybe not give them planes or cities as we do now? Make them buy a Beech and lease gates and actually work up?

I like that idea. :)

vimac

vimac

• 72 posts

Originally posted by Crazy764
I find it sad how selfish some people are.

Just because we found out about this site first doens't mean we are better than everyone else. Some of you make it sound like we own the divine right to this game just because we were here first.

Why shouldn't newbies be given a shot? If they all suck as you guys seem to think, then it won't be a problem right? They'll wage a price war for a little while, go bankrupt and stop. What do you have to worry about?

And if they are good, and surpass you one day, then maybe that'll shrink those oversized egos a little bit.

The bottom line is, it's simply not realistic for the game to limit the number of players just so you can make more money. In real life, large established airlines have to deal with new start-ups everyday. There is no legally-imposed limit on how many airlines can exist in the world. The world's population, supply and demand, and the nature of competitive business will take care of that. It's survival of the fittest. If you can beat the newbies, then you have nothing to worry about. If you can't, then maybe it's time to step down.

[Edited on 6/14/2005 by Crazy764]

I agree 100% with you, some of the people complaining here are newbie's them self's!!!

piercey - Registered: 6/6/2005

[Edited on 6/14/2005 by vimac]

dragon877

dragon877

• 13 posts
crazy, i agree with you, but you also have to take into consideration that in the real world there are many many more airports for the "unlimited" amount of new startups, where as right now in AE we have a limited amount of cities, with nearly 1000 airlines competing, it's almost like 1000 cars trying to squeeze into a 3 lane highway

just to make sure everybody knows im not complaining about the limited cities we have, im just trying to make a point

compuXP

compuXP

• 98 posts
We won't be restricting newbies with this worlds thing. We'll just be dividing up the players to make the came less cluttered...

vimac

vimac

• 72 posts

Originally posted by dragon877
crazy, i agree with you, but you also have to take into consideration that in the real world there are many many more airports for the "unlimited" amount of new startups, where as right now in AE we have a limited amount of cities, with nearly 1000 airlines competing, it's almost like 1000 cars trying to squeeze into a 3 lane highway

just to make sure everybody knows im not complaining about the limited cities we have, im just trying to make a point

You are right and I think Miller at some point will look at the airports problem.

Crazy764

Crazy764

• 206 posts

Originally posted by dragon877

Actually I agree with that. More cities will definitely solve a lot of problems.

I imagine that adding "new worlds" as some have suggested will take just as much work as adding new cities. And I prefer the cities idea because it's much more realistic.

maurice

maurice

• 31 posts
Another thing that makes all the airports crowded is that an american airline can make routes between France and Germany or inside Japan.

IRL that would never happen as there are laws against it. I'm tired of seeing people with a UK based airline flying between Rome and Vienna for example. That's not real at all.

If you choose to be in the UK, then all your routes must have an end in a british airport. If you're in Spain, always a spanish airport. (unless you're flying one way with scales.... as in real life)

This can be one of the easiest solutions to get the biggest airports a little less crowded

I'll vote for making this mandatory as in real life it would never happen.... My two cents

[Edited on 14/6/2005 by maurice]

RmTrice

RmTrice

• 255 posts
  • AIM Screen Name:RmTrice07
Adding different worlds or levels would make the game easier in terms of overcrowding though despite the bandwidth issues. More cities dosent do anything if you want to go for profitable routes plus there has to be a limit on how many passangers will fly routes.

Maestro69

Maestro69

El Original Mod, AE Beta Tester

• AE Moderator
  • 4,010 posts

User's Awards

3    3   
See, there is my point. Even u add more airports, doesnt solve AE problems. People will just jump in and fly various routes to the new airports and then, we got the same problem again, like in v1, when new airports where implemented, people would just open routes, left right and centre , to that airports and the profit level decreased.

The different worlds at the moment, seem like the best solution. It will just restricted each world to a certain amount of airlines and allow airlines to fly on more open skies, which will allow newbies to learn the game better and understand that $1 prices on very lucrative routes arent the way to go!!!!

[Edited on 14-6-05 by Maestro69]

Crazy764

Crazy764

• 206 posts

Originally posted by RmTrice
Adding different worlds or levels would make the game easier in terms of overcrowding though despite the bandwidth issues. More cities dosent do anything if you want to go for profitable routes plus there has to be a limit on how many passangers will fly routes.

Actually there are many profitable cities that aren't in the game yet.

Just an example:
http://www.airliners....file/812456/L/
http://www.airliners....file/849584/L/

Originally posted by maurice
Another thing that makes all the airports crowded is that an american airline can make routes between France and Germany or inside Japan.

IRL that would never happen as there are laws against it. I'm tired of seeing people with a UK based airline flying between Rome and Vienna for example. That's not real at all.

If you choose to be in the UK, then all your routes must have an end in a british airport. If you're in Spain, always a spanish airport. (unless you're flying one way with scales.... as in real life)

This can be one of the easiest solutions to get the biggest airports a little less crowded

I'll vote for making this mandatory as in real life it would never happen.... My two cents

Good point.

ealvarez

ealvarez

• 162 posts

Originally posted by maurice

erm, whered you get that info. sirtainly the first time ive ever heard of it. thats why theyll have hubs in those cities. heck even british airways does flights out of JFK to phoenix and a few others. nothing wrong with that

miller22 (inactive)

miller22 (inactive)

AE Developer

• AE Developer
  • 607 posts
  • AIM Screen Name:AeProjectManager
There are only three airports with no gates available:

DCA,
SAN,
ZRH

With over 250 cities in Ae, we are far from saturated. Remember that it doesn't do you much good to hub in a city without designating it as a hub, but don't just go and open a hub just because you want more passengers. There is a hub fee that can ground smaller airlines.

The fee required to build a terminal has also been lowered substantially from $300 million to $50 million. The fee per gate is still $5 million and you are still required to build a minimum of 5.

Guest_Cessnaflyer_*

Guest_Cessnaflyer_*
  • Guests
Just add more destinations. We need more cities to go to so we are more dispersed through out the game

maurice

maurice

• 31 posts

Originally posted by ealvarez
erm, whered you get that info. sirtainly the first time ive ever heard of it. thats why theyll have hubs in those cities. heck even british airways does flights out of JFK to phoenix and a few others. nothing wrong with that

I'm talking, OF COURSE, of airlines that do not have those hubs... Anyway, if and american company has a hub in brussels, they will always fly in and out of Brussels.

BUT, I'm talking about airlines that don't have hubs at the time, and being UK based, they are flying between Rome and Vienna but also between Paris and Madrid... THAT does not make sense.

ealvarez

ealvarez

• 162 posts
thats cause most folks dont have the money for a hub. so we "pretend" its a hub. lol

doug_Or

doug_Or

AE Addict

• Veteran
  • 896 posts

Originally posted by Maestro69
See, there is my point. Even u add more airports, doesnt solve AE problems. People will just jump in and fly various routes to the new airports and then, we got the same problem again, like in v1, when new airports where implemented, people would just open routes, left right and centre , to that airports and the profit level decreased.

The different worlds at the moment, seem like the best solution. It will just restricted each world to a certain amount of airlines and allow airlines to fly on more open skies, which will allow newbies to learn the game better and understand that $1 prices on very lucrative routes arent the way to go!!!!

[Edited on 14-6-05 by Maestro69]

I have to disagree with you here. The result of more worlds is lessairlines in each world. You mentioned V1 above. You saw how bad it got with just a hundred or so active airlines. Shrinking the number of airlines doesn't change anything except for the size of the airlines.

Now I do tihnk it would be cool if there were diffrent worlds with diffrent rules.

Maestro69

Maestro69

El Original Mod, AE Beta Tester

• AE Moderator
  • 4,010 posts

User's Awards

3    3   
Well, im open always to criticism!!!! :)

Well, im putting my faith in Miller and other develops that they could find a solution to some of the things mentioned by members here.

At the moment, everything is currently running ok, but i can only see things getting worse on the gate issue. Though, there is plenty of routes there still to be exploited, so there is money to be made!!!!!

ealvarez

ealvarez

• 162 posts
tons of routes. you just gotta have the right aircraft to do them. lol getting to that point is the challenge :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users