Photo

If you could take charge of your country's flag carrier...

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
80 replies to this topic

markantony9692

markantony9692

AE Player

• 78 posts
I'm sure that your ex-president, Ms. Kirtchener did not help with Aerolineas Argentinas...

kingoftheskies

kingoftheskies

I breathe SQ but not their fares :/

• 377 posts

Oops, I don't know whether this is considered a bump or not, but if I were to run my country's flag carrier, the first thing I'd do is lower fares, because we all know how ridiculously expensive Singapore Airlines' tickets are.

xkDm6U0.png

aZ0BcgW.png

MGnazId.png

194wCOY.png

C49JvWP.png

A220

A220

A220 ftw

• 327 posts

Not sure if Aegean is a flag carrier, but I would start a few LH flights and expand a bit and massively complain to the government about the ME3 taking over our airspace and jobs (oh wait). I would start waaayy more flights from the islands (because those ****ers still have demand in the winter) and definitely some LH full service flights to JFK/EWR, LAX, ORD, YYZ, YVR, YUL, PEK, PVG, SIN, KUL, SYD, MEL, BNE, PER and maybe AKL as well. And when the Greek economy had a stroke I would ask for massive loans, and because all Greek politicians are autistic they would give them to me. 

BV6atB1.jpg

Avelo

Avelo

ae4ever

• 1,328 posts

User's Awards

5    2   
Aegean is NOT a flag carrier, although it's predecessor Olympic Airlines once was.

Avelo

Avelo

ae4ever

• 1,328 posts

User's Awards

5    2   

Oops, I don't know whether this is considered a bump or not, but if I were to run my country's flag carrier, the first thing I'd do is lower fares, because we all know how ridiculously expensive Singapore Airlines' tickets are.

And I bet Hong Kongers keep whining how expensively woeful Cathay Pacific is. Name and heritage can only take you so far, which means that alone isn't enough to help you survive in an ever-changing market in the long term.

zortan

zortan

AE Winner

• 2,515 posts

Sorry - not trying to bump the topic - just want to add my opinion.

If I were to run Air Canada, I would get rid of the airbusses, send them all to Rouge. I would replace 320 with max and 330 with 787, also 319 with cs300. I would then operate the CS100 and 300 under mainline, then order some E-175E2 to replace all the regional express planes. Then, I would order more Q400s to increse regional routes, which they are sort of lacking in. I would introduce IFE on the Q400, which has long been something I want to see, as well as C class on the Q400. I would replace the 1900s with the Twin Otter - routes it couldn't handle I would replace with something bigger, such as Q400. Then, for rouge, I would give them all the ancient airbusses and 767s AC is going to get rid of. They would start operating more LongHaul flights all over, and less domestic flights - AC can handle those. Then - services. I would introduce Free y class food on transcon flights (YVR-YYZ, YVR-YUL, YVR-YHZ, YYC-YYZ, YYC-YUL, YYC-YHZ, YEG-YYZ, YEG-YUL, YEG-YHZ) etc. Then I would accelerate the Wifi addition into Rouge's fleet - they really need that :) Then, I would install wifi on all of the AC mainline fleet. Finally, I would order the 747-8, which is AWESOME, and introduce the Apex Suite in Business class - more seats for the same amount of space with even more comfort.

berubium

berubium

AE Luver

• 331 posts

User's Awards

If I were to run Air Canada, I would get rid of the airbusses, send them all to Rouge. I would replace 320 with max and 330 with 787, also 319 with cs300.

That part is basically happening as we speak; it's just a slow process.  The 737 maxes will be arriving pretty soon & the CS300s in 2019 I think.

Berubium.png

Avelo

Avelo

ae4ever

• 1,328 posts

User's Awards

5    2   

That part is basically happening as we speak; it's just a slow process. The 737 maxes will be arriving pretty soon & the CS300s in 2019 I think.

I bet this is a politically motivated move...

zortan

zortan

AE Winner

• 2,515 posts

I bet this is a politically motivated move...

Of course it is - they need to since they are representing the country. The maxes, no, but the cs orders were totally government required.

Avelo

Avelo

ae4ever

• 1,328 posts

User's Awards

5    2   

Of course it is - they need to since they are representing the country. The maxes, no, but the cs orders were totally government required.

Anything wrong with a North American flag carrier flying Airbuses? Nothing wrong with Boeing or Bombardier aircraft, but just curious.

And for Canada requiring the purchase of the CSeries, I bet it's because they struggled to attract customers in other parts of the world...

zortan

zortan

AE Winner

• 2,515 posts

Anything wrong with a North American flag carrier flying Airbuses? Nothing wrong with Boeing or Bombardier aircraft, but just curious.

And for Canada requiring the purchase of the CSeries, I bet it's because they struggled to attract customers in other parts of the world...

Airbusses - they did, I guess they didn't like them as much as the max. Currently, they fly a lot of airbus, but that'll all be retired by 2022 or so. In terms of something "wrong", I think that they should be ordering locally, as airbus is in Europe and Boeing and Bombardier are in North America, so that may work better for them. Personally, I'm pretty biased 'cuz I LOVE​ Boeings and Bombardiers, however, there are reasons why they are better planes, I just don't really want to get into an argument about that... They did struggle to get customers in other parts of the world, which is why they had to order it. But it's also a matter of national pride, which is why AC flies the Qseries, CRJ, and now Cseries.

berubium

berubium

AE Luver

• 331 posts

User's Awards

Actually there is a bit of a political motivation behind the 737s as well I'd argue.

I remember back in the early 90s when Air Canada was still a crown corporation, the government of the day got taken to cleaners for accepting bribes from Airbus when AC was doing their fleet renewal/expansion at the time.  I think the new order of the 737s is an attempt to "make things right" 25+ years on.

I personally have a preference for the Airbuses, but it's only a slight preference.  There's nothing wrong with the 737s.  The CS300s may or may not have been politically motivated, but I personally think it's a better alternative than the 737 MAX 7 because the range that AC will be flying those aircraft is well suited to the CS300 & it is supposed to be more economical.  Not to mention that they may replace some of the E190s with CS100s which would give them better fleet commonality.

Whatever happens, this is a pretty exciting time at AC.  Tonnes of new aircraft coming in, low fuel prices, & big expansion underway.  I always enjoy reading about the new routes they keep opening up.  My prediction for the next big international route would be YVR-BKK.

Berubium.png

Avelo

Avelo

ae4ever

• 1,328 posts

User's Awards

5    2   

Airbusses - they did, I guess they didn't like them as much as the max. Currently, they fly a lot of airbus, but that'll all be retired by 2022 or so. In terms of something "wrong", I think that they should be ordering locally, as airbus is in Europe and Boeing and Bombardier are in North America, so that may work better for them. Personally, I'm pretty biased 'cuz I LOVE​ Boeings and Bombardiers, however, there are reasons why they are better planes, I just don't really want to get into an argument about that... They did struggle to get customers in other parts of the world, which is why they had to order it. But it's also a matter of national pride, which is why AC flies the Qseries, CRJ, and now Cseries.

Like when Lockheed got busted after the bribery scandals involving the negotiation of L-1011 sales to ANA. That surely led to the downfall of the company.

zortan

zortan

AE Winner

• 2,515 posts

Actually there is a bit of a political motivation behind the 737s as well I'd argue.

I remember back in the early 90s when Air Canada was still a crown corporation, the government of the day got taken to cleaners for accepting bribes from Airbus when AC was doing their fleet renewal/expansion at the time.  I think the new order of the 737s is an attempt to "make things right" 25+ years on.

I personally have a preference for the Airbuses, but it's only a slight preference.  There's nothing wrong with the 737s.  The CS300s may or may not have been politically motivated, but I personally think it's a better alternative than the 737 MAX 7 because the range that AC will be flying those aircraft is well suited to the CS300 & it is supposed to be more economical.  Not to mention that they may replace some of the E190s with CS100s which would give them better fleet commonality.

Whatever happens, this is a pretty exciting time at AC.  Tonnes of new aircraft coming in, low fuel prices, & big expansion underway.  I always enjoy reading about the new routes they keep opening up.  My prediction for the next big international route would be YVR-BKK.

You're right, whatever happens, it is really exciting, and I'm looking forward to seeing what comes next! I've always loved AC because they offer entertainment across almost their entire fleet, including large parts of AC Express, and they give free drinks, etc. They also have good FAs who are really polite (at least in my case). I will always fly AC anyhow - so yeah. Even though I hate the ageing A320s etc. in their fleet, I love flying on them because they have entertainment, so even on a two-hour flight, I can watch a movie, tv show, or listen to music. That is better than pretty much any airline in Europe or most American planes.

zortan

zortan

AE Winner

• 2,515 posts

Like when Lockheed got busted after the bribery scandals involving the negotiation of L-1011 sales to ANA. That surely led to the downfall of the company.

Probably it did. I was wondering why AC had so many airbuses put into the fleet at the same time :)  They probably got a pretty hefty bribe to take the guzzler A340 instead of something else.

Avelo

Avelo

ae4ever

• 1,328 posts

User's Awards

5    2   

Probably it did. I was wondering why AC had so many airbuses put into the fleet at the same time :) They probably got a pretty hefty bribe to take the guzzler A340 instead of something else.

I'm surprised as to how Airbus was able to get away with it...

zortan

zortan

AE Winner

• 2,515 posts

I'm surprised as to how Airbus was able to get away with it...

I know right? Ac would have ordered boeing otherwise. Poor AC.

Avelo

Avelo

ae4ever

• 1,328 posts

User's Awards

5    2   

I know right? Ac would have ordered boeing otherwise. Poor AC.

What if AC had my airline (CAS) as a competitor in the real world? Ever since they absorbed Canadi>n, they'd been a virtual monopoly in Canada's aviation market (or an oligopoly if you count WestJet, which doesn't even compete with AC in certain markets). Canada needs more airline competition, big time...

zortan

zortan

AE Winner

• 2,515 posts

What if AC had my airline (CAS) as a competitor in the real world? Ever since they absorbed Canadi>n, they'd been a virtual monopoly in Canada's aviation market (or an oligopoly if you count WestJet, which doesn't even compete with AC in certain markets). Canada needs more airline competition, big time...

maybe... but I really like AC as I already said.... plus WestJet counts - There are more coming - Air Transat, NewLeaf, WestJet's new subsidiary...

Avelo

Avelo

ae4ever

• 1,328 posts

User's Awards

5    2   

maybe... but I really like AC as I already said.... plus WestJet counts - There are more coming - Air Transat, NewLeaf, WestJet's new subsidiary...

Nothing's wrong with AC, except I've personally never flown with them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users