• 2,273 posts
Ooooops. try LAX-TIJ or LAX-SAN. :(

DevSilv7

DevSilv7

• 52 posts
  • WLM ID:djs50fiftyone@yahoo.com
  • AIM Screen Name:Fifty50baller237
  • Yahoo ID:djs50fiftyone
LAx-BUR?!?!?!?! I can drive that in about 35 minutes depending on traffic. Who would fly that!

Guest_Nathaniel_*

Guest_Nathaniel_*
  • Guests
lazy people like myself ;) .. well probly not that lazy

Crazy764

Crazy764

• 206 posts

Originally posted by DevSilv7
LAx-BUR?!?!?!?! I can drive that in about 35 minutes depending on traffic. Who would fly that!

Some airline was even flying ORD-MDW...;)

Luigi

Luigi

• 37 posts

Ya, same here. 405 can be brutal though...but who in their right mind would actually pay to fly that route...

Fredways

Fredways

• 90 posts

Originally posted by Luigi

Ya, same here. 405 can be brutal though...but who in their right mind would actually pay to fly that route...

People don't. United operates LAX-SNA with some frequency. The flights primarily serve connecting traffic. Fares SNA-JFK are a quarter of LAX-JFK fares frequently on United, so flying SNA-LAX-JFK makes more sense. Plus, it's the extra segment and frequent flyer miles and SNA is an easier airport to deal with as an originating/terminating passenger.

Pacific

Pacific

• 1,013 posts

User's Awards

2       2      
Again, let me mention "Stagecoach" of the UK.

Free busses
Triple Frequency
Paralell routes

As for the insanely short flights for gate hogging, it's kind of unethical but perfectly legitimate. They don't make that much money out of it...for now.

Gates running out in the US has made me start my Trans-Atlantic flights earlier than I envisioned, and I use the remaining 5 hours of the plane to hog a gate at another airport.

[Edited on 6/23/2005 by Pacific]

Luigi

Luigi

• 37 posts

People don't. United operates LAX-SNA with some frequency. The flights primarily serve connecting traffic. Fares SNA-JFK are a quarter of LAX-JFK fares frequently on United, so flying SNA-LAX-JFK makes more sense. Plus, it's the extra segment and frequent flyer miles and SNA is an easier airport to deal with as an originating/terminating passenger.

But that route actually makes some sense because if you live close or around LAX the drive down to Orange County would take a lot longer than if you flew there. That route actually makes some sense considering traffic down here in SoCal.

piercey

piercey

I heart Embraer!

• 1,375 posts
  • Yahoo ID:pierceyohio@sbcglobal.net
LAX-BUR??? One of the highest frequencies in Tokyo is haneda-Narita!!!;)

Sunshine Airways CEO

Sunshine Airways CEO

• 568 posts

User's Awards

5    5      
People are just trying to save up gates ;)

DevSilv7

DevSilv7

• 52 posts
  • WLM ID:djs50fiftyone@yahoo.com
  • AIM Screen Name:Fifty50baller237
  • Yahoo ID:djs50fiftyone
I just looked and saw LHR-LGW at some rediculous number. I think it was at 65x. Now you know that no one can make money off of that, its all for hogging gates. Now when I get my new planes I will have to fly them out of another city because people are greedy. But thats just business.

botachelli

botachelli

• 32 posts
Hi Devyn, I own JetShark and I admit I'm "gate hoarding" on the LHR-LGW route, it's due to the lack of gates available so when I want to expand or my alliance partners want to expand we have those gates available. You're right you can't make a profit on those but it is a business decision. When I build a terminal they will become available but until then try and see if someone let's one go at the change of the month.

sutkowij

sutkowij

• 17 posts
Back to the fare subject, Hooters Air put a five times daily $1 fare on ATL-LAX, so I sent him a message saying that I wasn't going anywhere and then I put my fares at $.50 just to annoy him.

Canadian

Canadian

AE Luver

• 347 posts
He's got his on ZERO now...with 3 planes, 2 A330-300s with 2 freq each and a 757-300 with 1 freq...can you say BANKRUPTCY? ;)

Salomon

Salomon

• 211 posts
Why dont real airline do that sometimes... ;)

tornado

tornado

• 45 posts
Considering the frequencies out of Heathrow, can Ijust say one thing!

I'm glad I fly out of Gatwick! lol ;)

Guest_AC787_*

Guest_AC787_*
  • Guests

Originally posted by Pacific

As for the insanely short flights for gate hogging, it's kind of unethical but perfectly legitimate. They don't make that much money out of it...for now.

That's up to the court to decide. A while back, Air Canada repeatedly tried to undercut Westjet, Canjet, Canada 3000, etc. fares on their routes. The airlines complained and AC was forced to put their fares at a price within limits.

actango

actango

• 56 posts

Originally posted by AC787

Originally posted by Pacific

That's up to the court to decide. A while back, Air Canada repeatedly tried to undercut Westjet, Canjet, Canada 3000, etc. fares on their routes. The airlines complained and AC was forced to put their fares at a price within limits.

I find that hard to believe, there must be more behind it. Jetsgo had "Loonie Sundays," nothing was ever done, and they had the sale every Sunday for quite sometime until they went under. Canjet still has 1$ websaver fares, and they are highly successful right now. So there must be more to the story than that...

sutkowij

sutkowij

• 17 posts
I don't know exactly how the Canadian Gov. regulates airlines but AC was most likely trying to become a monopoly, meaning that they would have complete control of the markets. They have the power and the money reserves to force the smaller carriers out of business whereas Jetsgo Canjet don't.

All that is purely speculation I might add.

actango

actango

• 56 posts

Originally posted by sutkowij
I don't know exactly how the Canadian Gov. regulates airlines but AC was most likely trying to become a monopoly, meaning that they would have complete control of the markets. They have the power and the money reserves to force the smaller carriers out of business whereas Jetsgo Canjet don't.

All that is purely speculation I might add.

Jetsgo is gone, they went bankrupt in March. AC would never have a domestic monopoly as long as Westjet is around anyways...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users