Photo

FSX Replacement

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

Spyrosv

Spyrosv

AE Addict

• 855 posts

Most of us are probably using FSX as their flight simulator. It's 2017 though and we should start thinking what the best replacement for it would be. I haven't made my final decision but I'm between Xplane 11 or Prepar3D V4. Since it's pretty much a matter of who supports the best addons, I think I would go with the one that supports the most popular ones, which I believe is Prepar3D. Xplane though is a very beautiful sim out of the box while Prepar3D is more like FSX.

zortan

zortan

AE Winner

• 2,515 posts

xPlane 100000000000%. They have a ton of addons - which xPlane has on their site, and there are more on many other sites - they're very supportive. They also have the best graphics I've ever seen - heat coming off the back of the engines, wing flex, tons of tiny details - you can type on the many cockpit computers on glass cockpit planes without clunky keyboard commands, etc. 

A220

A220

A220 ftw

• 327 posts

I'd buy P3D if you want something similar to FSX. I have FSX but I want P3D. Also It has the same addons.

BV6atB1.jpg

Spyrosv

Spyrosv

AE Addict

• 855 posts
To be honest I don't want to pay for Orbx Global and stuff which Prepar3D I think needs, while Xplane 11 has amazing scenery out of the box. Not to mention elevation changes on the runways, working highways, trains and other ground transportation. The price is pretty much the same too. Around 60-65$.

DeltaIVSSBN

DeltaIVSSBN

Project 667BDRM

• 213 posts

User's Awards

2    2   

Well, I got X-Plane 11 on steam. Paid $60, but apparently, I have a ton of lag. :( Yes, I tried the demo and that worked perfectly fine.

Spyrosv

Spyrosv

AE Addict

• 855 posts

Did you download any addons/mods ? Make sure it's not a mod causing it.

Guest_Adam0896_*

Guest_Adam0896_*
  • Guests

I've been playing Flight Simulator X for 11 years, and am also in the same boat.

I already own X-Plane 11 but I am also planning on purchasing P3DV4. Basically your choice will come down to this:

If you want better graphics and overall general realism: Get X-Plane 11

If you want a game that's like FSX, but more streamlined and less prone to crashes: Get P3DV4.

X-Wing @Aliciousness

X-Wing @Aliciousness

I think you'll like them!

• 1,760 posts

I've been playing Flight Simulator X for 11 years, and am also in the same boat.

I already own X-Plane 11 but I am also planning on purchasing P3DV4. Basically your choice will come down to this:

If you want better graphics and overall general realism: Get X-Plane 11

If you want a game that's like FSX, but more streamlined and less prone to crashes: Get P3DV4.

Nah, P3D still has better graphics, and generally X-Plane is known the be the less crash-prone of the two. though FWIW, P3D V4 is very stable for me.

The issue really comes down to what you want to do. X-Plane is still extremely lacking in good payware addons, though it does have a few very good free addons. That said, there is nothing in X-Plane that even comes close to rivaling P3Ds options. The best payware addons for X-Plane are the Rotate MD-80 and IXEG 737 Classic, otherwise the landscape is pretty barren, and there is a better MD-80 in P3D anyway. People like FlightFactor, but IMO all of their addons have some glaring issues that I just can't get past. Also, on the scenery front, X-Plane has very few good options.

If you want to spend the least amount of money, and are okay with limited options, than X-Plane is good. Otherwise, I'd get P3D4, the academic version of course. (wink, everyone buys the academic version)

UbxSbIt.png

PingPong

PingPong

Dormant and Highly Sarcastic

• 1,206 posts
X Plane has really accurate flight dynamics. You can tell that they are a long way beyon dP3D if you try it. Their default aircraft are payware rgade for the small ones and there are free mods, such as the Zibo 738 which will take the others to that level.

Example: P3D has no wing flex. Even the mobile version of x plane, where some of the aircraft have no proper controls beyond turning, rudder, flaps, gear, and speedbrake, simulates wing flex. X Plane is a simulator from the ground up. FSX is a game. P3D is a game which has been converted to a simulator, but can never be quite as good.
post-80164-0-63668800-1520707454.png
Member, Vice-President, and Website Developer of Universal Alliance

Spyrosv

Spyrosv

AE Addict

• 855 posts

Xplane's flight dynamics are unbeatable. I tried Xplane 11's tutorial and it felt like it was too much. Turns out that Xplane's dynamics are the closest you can get. The lighting might be a little bit too soft during specific times of the day but I guess that can be fixed with color correction mods etc.

I have to agree that Xplane is lacking addon developers like PMDG, Qualitywings, Aerosoft and all the big developers in the FSX/P3D world. With XPlane's rise in popularity, more developers may release products to it.

PingPong

PingPong

• 1,206 posts
Default mods and flightfactor do end up producing a pretty unbeatable experience, but I agree that competition to bring down prices would be good.

KJS607

KJS607

The O.G. Savage

• 3,860 posts

User's Awards

6       3   

I'm the only one still stretching FS9 to its absolute limits with 50GB of add-ons then...

msg-1341-0-50048700-1680446869_thumb.png

I did a thing: thetravelsavage.com

X-Wing @Aliciousness

X-Wing @Aliciousness

• 1,760 posts

X Plane has really accurate flight dynamics. You can tell that they are a long way beyon dP3D if you try it. Their default aircraft are payware rgade for the small ones and there are free mods, such as the Zibo 738 which will take the others to that level.

Example: P3D has no wing flex. Even the mobile version of x plane, where some of the aircraft have no proper controls beyond turning, rudder, flaps, gear, and speedbrake, simulates wing flex. X Plane is a simulator from the ground up. FSX is a game. P3D is a game which has been converted to a simulator, but can never be quite as good.

P3D has wingflex dude...

Also, P3D is based on Microsoft ESP which is a fully certified flight sim, just like X-Plane.

Default mods and flightfactor do end up producing a pretty unbeatable experience, but I agree that competition to bring down prices would be good. 

FlightFactor's planes are terrible compared to their P3D counterparts. The fact is that there is simply no add-ons for X-Plane that are up to the level of A2A, PMDG, Leonardo, or Majestic. And when it comes to scenery, it's not even a comparison. 

I like X-Plane, I really do, but P3D just has a better ecosystem at the moment.

That said, X-Plane out of the box + 737 Ultimate is 90% of the experience of a well tuned P3D for a fraction of the cost. However, the fact remains that if you want the best experience, P3D is it.

For proof, I submit the following screenshots:

unknown.png

unknown.png

2018-5-12_22-17-34-841.png

unknown.png

unknown.png

UbxSbIt.png

PingPong

PingPong

• 1,206 posts
I rephrase, XPlane can generate wingflex. P3D uses a lookup table. XPlane directly calculates the load on different aircraft surfaces, so you can’t have a really unrealistically handling aircraft, so long as the visuals are well modelled on the original. They are interlinked.

X-Wing @Aliciousness

X-Wing @Aliciousness

• 1,760 posts

I rephrase, XPlane can generate wingflex. P3D uses a lookup table. XPlane directly calculates the load on different aircraft surfaces, so you can’t have a really unrealistically handling aircraft, so long as the visuals are well modelled on the original. They are interlinked.

While it's true that P3D uses lookup tables and X-Plane uses blade-element theory, that does not mean one is always better. Level D full motion simulators, for example, also use lookup tables to calculate flight dynamics. 

UbxSbIt.png

DeltaIVSSBN

DeltaIVSSBN

Project 667BDRM

• 213 posts

User's Awards

2    2   

Well, basically it comes down to either X-Plane: ultra-realism or P3D: Addon quality. I am not saying that P3D is not realistic or X-Plane does not have good addons.

PingPong

PingPong

• 1,206 posts

Well, basically it comes down to either X-Plane: ultra-realism or P3D: Addon quality. I am not saying that P3D is not realistic or X-Plane does not have good addons.

TBH the only good source of payware XPlane addons is FlightFactor (and they are not cheap!). On the other hand, you don’t get good looking bad handling addons in XPlane and Zibo’s 737-800 is a free PMDG rival.

gvgch

gvgch

Someone on AE

• 202 posts

Stay with FSX. The end. no dilemma

Guest_Adam0896_*

Guest_Adam0896_*
  • Guests

Stay with FSX. The end. no dilemma

No, gonna be a good idea to upgrade soon. FSX is a GPU / CPU hog, crashes the most out of all 3 major titles, and lacks the same physics characteristics present in more modern titles. Not to mention it's based off a 2006 game engine.

G.J.

G.J.

• 1,462 posts

Microsoft actually did plan on a successor to FSX but they cancelled development. I forgot why.

Venture Co-Owner | Aloft Staff | Ex-Polaris Member | Unitedwings Co-Owner | Dynasty World Alliance Member

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users