Photo

The effect of trophies on player behavior

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

Stevphfeniey

Stevphfeniey

Bad m*****f*****

• 4,249 posts
Hello. So this question has been bugging me for a little while now.

I'm interested in the relationship between trophies for valuation and reputation, and player behavior. Does the prospect of earning a trophy make players more or less competitive? If so why or why not. Does the trophy system encourage a vertical hierarchy of airlines and countries in game? Again if so why or why not.

I'm also all ears about any questions, comments or concerns you guys might have that I did not mention above.

please don't kill us we're just the aquabats

The Best Discord Server

konj1

konj1

whatever

• 562 posts

User's Awards

3       3    3      

I'd say it's very hard to tell, it's all psychological. 

You can now get subjective impressions from players in a few sentences, but if you really want answers you would need to make a complex statistical survey and an even more complex analysis. It would be a good topic for a serious research, but it's really hard to drag answers out so simply. :D

NicholaiGaul

NicholaiGaul

Furry Airline Tycoonist of Airline Empires

• 89 posts

You can now get subjective impressions from players in a few sentences, but if you really want answers you would need to make a complex statistical survey. It would be a good topic for a serious research, but it's really hard to drag answers out so simply. :D

Konj1 does have a point. It all has to do with the player's psychology, whether if they choose to be a show-off or abuse the trophies they worked hard to win. For me, I only have one trophy, and I see trophies as a way of showing how hard the player is willing to work to make his airline so great to the point where they do end up winning that trophy. I simply play Airline Empires for fun, and find it as the most realistic airline tycoon game I have ever played so far.

uddNEMA.jpg

Stevphfeniey

Stevphfeniey

Bad m*****f*****

• 4,249 posts

You can now get subjective impressions from players in a few sentences, but if you really want answers you would need to make a complex statistical survey and an even more complex analysis. It would be a good topic for a serious research, but it's really hard to drag answers out so simply. :D

I'm planning on a survey in the future if I can get enough interest in this topic. Problem being I can't think of good responses for that survey, hence this thread.

The Best Discord Server

The Flying Cow

The Flying Cow

AE Know It All

• 148 posts

User's Awards

I'm interested in the relationship between trophies for valuation and reputation, and player behavior. Does the prospect of earning a trophy make players more or less competitive? If so why or why not. Does the trophy system encourage a vertical hierarchy of airlines and countries in game? Again if so why or why not.

I'm also all ears about any questions, comments or concerns you guys might have that I did not mention above.

This question can be approached from different perspectives but to keep it short, check on Google Scholar about:

1) Neurobiology: dopamine, oxitocine, games and experience.

2) Psychology / Management: Escalation of commitment, competences, personality attributes, intrinsic motivation, etc.

Depending on what's your background - existing research already found most of the answers to the research question you are considering.

Stevphfeniey

Stevphfeniey

Bad m*****f*****

• 4,249 posts

This question can be approached from different perspectives but to keep it short, check on Google Scholar about:

1) Neurobiology: dopamine, oxitocine, games and experience.

2) Psychology / Management: Escalation of commitment, competences, personality attributes, intrinsic motivation, etc.

Depending on what's your background - existing research already found most of the answers to the research question you are considering.

I'm well aware of the science behind it. I'm looking for a view through the lens of peoples' conscious thoughts. 

The Best Discord Server

The Flying Cow

The Flying Cow

AE Know It All

• 148 posts

User's Awards

I'm well aware of the science behind it. I'm looking for a view through the lens of peoples' conscious thoughts. 

Then I'm sure you are fully aware that for conducting any kind of proper quantitative-based research you start from a solid and validated theoretical framework... that for your case and given you are aware of the science behind it is.......................................????? :rolleyes:

And what sample size and statistical significance you were considering for making your research meaningful to not to be confused with a copilation of free, biased and random opinions with severe validity threats unadressed?  :rofl2:

Stevphfeniey

Stevphfeniey

Bad m*****f*****

• 4,249 posts

Then I'm sure you are fully aware that for conducting any kind of proper quantitative-based research you start from a solid and validated theoretical framework... that for your case and given you are aware of the science behind it is.......................................????? :rolleyes:

And what sample size and statistical significance you were considering for making your research meaningful to not to be confused with a copilation of free, biased and random opinions with severe validity threats unadressed?  :rofl2:

Because I was wondering what people thought about this topic.

Edited by Delta-Northwest, 05 May 2016 - 06:56 PM.
Removed offensive content

The Best Discord Server

hayhaa

hayhaa

christs sake

• 1,681 posts

User's Awards

lolol

n.x.w.m

n.x.w.m

taiwanball

• Data Collector
  • 2,061 posts

It just makes them think that they're something and higher than those without trophies.

That is all.

cUDPatH.jpg

konj1

konj1

whatever

• 562 posts

User's Awards

3       3    3      

It just makes them think that they're something and higher than those without trophies.

That is all.

Uhm, no. I certainly don't.

konj1

konj1

whatever

• 562 posts

User's Awards

3       3    3      
It only means they're better at (or have more time or motivation to do) things that can get you a trophy. Objectively, that's it.

Everything else is in individual heads.

S K Y

S K Y

None of anyone's interest

• 865 posts

User's Awards

7    4   

Nothing, I guess.

Personally, I'd be happy to get a trophy, but if I don't, well, who cares anyway.

And the attraction of getting trophy whithers the longer you play AE.

msg-21998-0-02795400-1542637702.png

msg-21998-0-01263700-1542637720.png

Jarkii

Jarkii

Airline Simulation Addict

• 301 posts

User's Awards

2    3   

I do think trophies effect players' dedication to this game, spending more time on it. I don't really care about trophies, which is why i let my 1st place slip. In my opinion, spam is a result of trophies.

#EndTrophiesOnAE

Chubby Bear

Chubby Bear

AE's Noob

• 1,213 posts

User's Awards

2    5      

Nothing, I guess.

Personally, I'd be happy to get a trophy, but if I don't, well, who cares anyway.

And the attraction of getting trophy whithers the longer you play AE.

This is very true, well for me anyway

When I just started to play AE I wanted a trophy really bad, and I build up my airlines and got better until I eventually got one or two.

Now though I really couldn't care less although I wouldn't mind getting more ;)

South-Africa_240-animated-flag-gifs.gifNew-Zealand_240-animated-flag-gifs.gif

9IYxwsM.png

ND7sS8w.jpg

#AspireMember  #EnvoyMember #Unknown Alien Species #WorldAllianceMember

The Flying Cow

The Flying Cow

AE Know It All

• 148 posts

User's Awards

I do think trophies effect players' dedication to this game, spending more time on it. I don't really care about trophies, which is why i let my 1st place slip. In my opinion, spam is a result of trophies.

#EndTrophiesOnAE

If one is productive and can generate higher DOP per dedicated minute of AE gameplay than other players there's no need to spend too much time to end up sooner or later at the top of any ranking even without going for it. Regarding the reputation trophies - that's even easier and straighforward :rofl2: 

Airboss777

Airboss777

Just don't mess with me

• 564 posts

User's Awards

20    15    9    2   

You tell me - what do you think or feel about a player when you see their trophies? Take mine for example - does it make it seem like I'm an experienced player who knows what they're doing? Does it deserve respect? Is it intimidating? I'm not suggesting it should, although some might. Do you ignore it altogether? How you feel about it may well be answer enough to your own question.

I would also note that reputation trophies can be easier to get than valuation trophies. To get reputation trophies, you just have to be benevolent to your staff & pax & spend a lot of money on marketing. You could be as mean as you like for almost the entire game & just shift tact in the final year, & can finish with a reputation trophy. A Valuation trophy means you have to get ahead & stay ahead & is much more work.

Valuation also over-rides reputation, so you can be in the top 10 for both but only get one trophy.

bAnderson

bAnderson

Timeless

• 2,139 posts

You tell me - what do you think or feel about a player when you see their trophies? Take mine for example - does it make it seem like I'm an experienced player who knows what they're doing? Does it deserve respect? Is it intimidating? I'm not suggesting it should, although some might. Do you ignore it altogether? How you feel about it may well be answer enough to your own question.

I would also note that reputation trophies can be easier to get than valuation trophies. To get reputation trophies, you just have to be benevolent to your staff & pax & spend a lot of money on marketing. You could be as mean as you like for almost the entire game & just shift tact in the final year, & can finish with a reputation trophy. A Valuation trophy means you have to get ahead & stay ahead & is much more work.

Valuation also over-rides reputation, so you can be in the top 10 for both but only get one trophy.

For me, it just means that you spammed a couple of worlds if they are valuation trophies or you can run a decent airline if they are reputation trophies.

wgOP4y0.jpg

highland

highland

AE Luver

• 393 posts

if i ever win a trophy.

​I will gloat to high heaven. 

Iones

Iones

Ricky Fort's Soldier

• 43 posts

1) For me, trophies are just a sign of how good you can be at this game, and it's an accurate reflection of how hard you worked on your airlines in the past (Maybe the amount can give, to everybody else, a sign of how much competitive you are). Nothing else than that. (Another history is if the trophies are very easy to earn, if they are devaluated or not, etc.)

In other words, trophies are just for the glory, personal glory (Only if you feel that)

2) I don't really know what are you referring to on the second question. Can you be more "graphical"?

seleccion_argentina_costado.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users