Photo

Livery Making for New Players

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

Kirkland

Kirkland

AE King

• 1,504 posts

Hi, I'm Kitty. By this point you might be confused by Photoshop and "templates" or you might just be annoyed at not being able to get your own livery done. Get ready to be blown away (or mildly impressed at your own ability).

The software I use in this tutorial is 'paint.net' . You can get it for free from this link . Before you start dismissing this tutorial as complicated, I can promise* you that it will be as easy as just painting your colors on the plane.

Why the asterisk? Because, this is where the tutorial splits. If you are OK with a white background behind your plane, you can download the Simple version  . If you want to shake it up and add some chill colors behind your plane, download the Extended version .

Part One:  for Simple & Extended versions

Open up the .pdf file in Paint.net. Hit F7 on your keyboard. If something disappears, hit it again. If something appears, don't hit it again. What has been disappearing/appearing is the "layers tab". At the layers tab, click on Paint Here. 

On the "Paint Here" layer, you add the colors/words/designs to your plane. Use F5 to toggle your tools and F8 to toggle your colors. It's just like Microsoft Paint (paint bucket, paintbrush, pencil, eraser, line tool) , and it should be easy to understand. Some options for the tools you select can be found at the top of your canvas.

Remember to use the 'text' tool if you want to add some text to your airplane.

c728fdae0e520501378fdeab1e8d41f3.png

Here we see my beautiful livery. Time for AE, right? Not yet. 

Step 2A:  For SIMPLE users

Ok. Now go to "File > Save". It's just like saving a picture, except you need to change the file type from .pdf to .png or .jpeg . Once you've done that (click OK to everything, including when it asks you to Flatten), you can upload it to AE.

818c8b23500816a1b4772aac6edfcceb.png

Step 2B: For EXTENDED users

Go back to the layers tab, and select "Your Background". Then go to your tools tab and select the magic wand. If you don't see it, look at the picture below. Once you've selected the wand, reduce your "tolerance" in the upper menu to around ~20%. Then, click anywhere on the page but where your plane is. The background should turn blue.

(should look like this)

kmR69qW.png

From that point, you can do whatever you like in the background, just like the paint tab. If the background becomes un-selected, you'll have to Ctrl-Z back to when it turned blue. A cool option is to use 'gradients' like this.

4v8yG2w.png

When you are absolutely done with your background, type Ctrl-D. Now go to "File > Save". It's just like saving a picture, except you need to change the file type from .pdf to .png or .jpeg . Once you've done that (click OK to everything, including when it asks you to Flatten), you can upload it to AE.

~ the template is perfectly fitted to AE and should go without any blurring 

Enjoy :)

nWcLJH0.png

Kirkland

Kirkland

AE King

• 1,504 posts

This is mostly meant to help newer players.

nWcLJH0.png

KPV922

KPV922

AE Player

• 43 posts
Thanks for this tutorial!

hayhaa

hayhaa

christs sake

• 1,681 posts

User's Awards

ugh any tutorials on gimp i dont have wondows 7 so i cant get paint.net

Kirkland

Kirkland

AE King

• 1,504 posts
Are you sure you can't get it? :(

nWcLJH0.png

Guest_Eastwind CEO_*

Guest_Eastwind CEO_*
  • Guests

ugh any tutorials on gimp i dont have wondows 7 so i cant get paint.net

Its available on Windows 8 and 8.1

Stryker8686

Stryker8686

AE Player

• 65 posts

User's Awards

I use GIMP and this is what I used:

http://www.airline-e...-gimp-tutorial/

I have never done photo editing before, and I find GIMP pretty easy to use. Hardest part was getting used to the different layers.

S K Y

S K Y

None of anyone's interest

• 865 posts

User's Awards

7    4   
I find this to be very helpful for the beginners and can be a good alternative from asking the so-called designers to make them liveries.
Thread starter is very thoughtful and I appreciate you for that. :)

msg-21998-0-02795400-1542637702.png

msg-21998-0-01263700-1542637720.png

X-Wing @Aliciousness

X-Wing @Aliciousness

I think you'll like them!

• 1,760 posts

Take+this+higher+quality+version.+You+de

UbxSbIt.png

AirlinePH

AirlinePH

Why is the A350 amazing?

• 20 posts

User's Awards

Can we add a logo at the tail?  :D

Its_More_Fun_logo_horizontal.jpg

Tesla

Tesla

Inactive

• 2,392 posts

Can we add a logo at the tail?  :D

The livery is yours in the end. What is on the livery is dependent on you. Also, Paint.Net requires a 64-bit processor which only high-range laptops have!

AirlinePH

AirlinePH

Why is the A350 amazing?

• 20 posts

User's Awards

The livery is yours in the end. What is on the livery is dependent on you. Also, Paint.Net requires a 64-bit processor which only high-range laptops have!

Oh. Okay. Thanks  ;)

Its_More_Fun_logo_horizontal.jpg

LockheedTristar

LockheedTristar

Trijets

• 285 posts

User's Awards

Pretty much every computer is 64 bit nowadays. Except the netbooks. Not just high end laptops.

lvan

lvan

AE Addict

• 864 posts

Paint.Net requires a 64-bit processor which only high-range laptops have!

I'd like to know where you source your information from, on both claims.

Tesla

Tesla

Inactive

• 2,392 posts

Pretty much every computer is 64 bit nowadays. Except the netbooks. Not just high end laptops.

My laptop is 32 bit and it cost £379. 64 bit here is looking at £550+! Most people cannot afford to spend that much. 

lvan

lvan

AE Addict

• 864 posts

Do answer my question please.

LockheedTristar

LockheedTristar

Trijets

• 285 posts

User's Awards

My laptop is 32 bit and it cost £379. 64 bit here is looking at £550+! Most people cannot afford to spend that much. 

Paint.net can run on 32 bit and also 550+ is the average price range for a personal computer / laptop. Most computers nowadays cost over 550.

Kirkland

Kirkland

AE King

• 1,504 posts

I completely re-did the tutorial. Have fun

nWcLJH0.png

lovekid

lovekid

AE Player

• 26 posts
Son I need paint net for this

lovekid