Gate Hoggers

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

Moldova96

Moldova96

AE Winner

• AE Moderator / Data Collector
  • 2,024 posts

R-Delta has reached the point that there are so few gates in game that it has become impossible to route aircraft which is why I feel the need that there needs to be pressure put on those people who are hogging gates. These are those people who are operating 1x weekly flights into airports meaning that they are just sitting on the gate. Whether this will work to get people to change the way that they are running their airlines to enable others to actually play the game is another question. However I feel that this must be done. Here are a number of airlines that are operating 1x weekly flights into airports:

Please post more airlines below that you feel are gate hogging.

eu30cUI.png

the DOC

the DOC

AE King

• 1,845 posts

User's Awards

2    3    4    3      

Could you give us the usernames of these people? :P

Lazy boy....

Moldova96

Moldova96

AE Winner

• 2,024 posts

More airlines to the list:

eu30cUI.png

the DOC

the DOC

AE King

• 1,845 posts

User's Awards

2    3    4    3      
Well this makes a very strong case for the usage of slots rather than gates.
Maybe: in your own country you can lease gates but in other countries you are given the option of slots so basically the airport you're flying to still has the same capacity but just more usage. This would save the airline money and also would allow more airlines to fly to the same time.
Sounds like a good solution but will probably need some coding and stuff but maybe it can be ready for the next round (though it'll probably turn out like AE4....)

����Justin����

����Justin����

AE Know It All

• 176 posts

My idea is to lease gate's at airport's where it is very busy so once you get the correct airplanes, you can go and add the flight's without hassle.

4075019335.pngGoogle Inbox invites available! PM for more info.

Pineair

Pineair

AE Luver

• 474 posts

User's Awards

10    16    12       9   
[quote name="justinxfan" post="149539" timestamp="1376603452"]My idea is to lease gate's at airport's where it is very busy so once you get the correct airplanes, you can go and add the flight's without hassle.

You sometimes have to reserve a gate for future use. You schedule one flight, which isn't profitable, knowing that in a few years, when new aircraft are available, you will be able to schedule extra flights. If you don't do this there are not going to be gates available later in the game.

Planning ahead was, I thought, part of the game. Incidentally there isn't in R Delta, an airport with the capacity to allow all those airlines who might want to fly there to do so. Perhaps some should stick to the S3 worlds where this is less likely to happen.

the DOC

the DOC

AE King

• 1,845 posts

User's Awards

2    3    4    3      

My idea is to lease gate's at airport's where it is very busy so once you get the correct airplanes, you can go and add the flight's without hassle.

People doing like you do are the problem :P READ THE TITLE bejaysis

the DOC

the DOC

AE King

• 1,845 posts

User's Awards

2    3    4    3      

Planning ahead was, I thought, part of the game. Incidentally there isn't in R Delta, an airport with the capacity to allow all those airlines who might want to fly there to do so. Perhaps some should stick to the S3 worlds where this is less likely to happen.[/quote]
People play the world simply because it's r delta. They won't want to switch. It isn't that simple

����Justin����

����Justin����

AE Know It All

• 176 posts

oops fail

4075019335.pngGoogle Inbox invites available! PM for more info.

sputnik23

sputnik23

back

• 298 posts

There should be a special world where gate number are doubled.

asdf gh jkl;

the DOC

the DOC

AE King

• 1,845 posts

User's Awards

2    3    4    3      

There should be a special world where gate number are doubled.

No that should be in delta or slots should be used :P

grimsleeper

grimsleeper

AE Player

• 44 posts

User's Awards

If you have 5 gates and fly 1x weekly, 4 of those gates should be reclaimed by the system for being unused. the issue with 5 gates would be an airline with 201x that should really be 4 gates. :P

I am not playing in this world, but if I was I would be ready on the 1st of each month to buy back gates.  Owning the airport's remaining gates and not having a terminal is a great way to keep compitition out in places like Japan.

Maestro69

Maestro69

El Original Mod, AE Beta Tester

• AE Moderator
  • 4,010 posts

User's Awards

3    3   

Let me get this straight, my airline in r-d is being accused of gate holding, because im pre-planning on flying those routes in the future with aircraft with the adequate range and capacity...

But when there is not any gate later in the game to connect to TLV every airport i can, who do i complain to? to you moldy? come on..

Again, another situation where someone rather make a forum thread about playing practices instead of talking to the individual and getting the correct story...

Just my 2 cents on this non-issue.

dleLlDN.png?raw=1

2ndAcr

2ndAcr

AE Know It All

• 246 posts

User's Awards

7    2      

Sounds like good planning to me. But then again, I dont like R delta due to 750 airlines, gets crowded enough with 300 flying.

grimsleeper

grimsleeper

AE Player

• 44 posts

User's Awards

But when there is not any gate later in the game to connect to TLV every airport i can, [snip]  come on..

I can kind of agree with this.  As my only active 2 airlines are both late joiners, sometimes you have to adapt your strategy. 

I don't have R-Delta experience, but I doubt the situation is too different from joining 10yrs before the end of the world.

Essentially, you reach a point where no glamour routes are left, even MKE<=>SVO will have 3 times as much supply as dempand and open gates to routes that work are rare.

It can stink, but its not an unworkable situation.  You just can't use strategies that worked in a brand new world with only open routes.

R-Delta has 750 airline slots and currently has almost twice as many airlines as any other world.  Gate shortages should be expected.

Sheepy

Sheepy

N/A

• 1,935 posts

User's Awards

Rather than trying to shame the people forced to work around a ridiculous requirement, we should be trying to implement solutions to the problem.

I would say these 'gate hoggers', while not acting perhaps in the best interests of AE as a whole, are carrying out a strategy that AE in its current form is conducive to.

I personally despise the current gate situation - it allows those who got in early to prosper, and those who arrived late to the party are stuffed.

I therefore propose;

Multiply the number of 'gates' at airports by 8-10 if we want realism, 4-7 if we want to maintain some gate shortages. Possibly make this a world based variable. It is worth considering that if there are more airlines in the world, real airports would have adjusted their gates to suit.

I am aware this can be changed by data collectors so should be fairly simple.

Change 'gates' to 'daily slots' This should be purely cosmetic so simple.

Change the number of slots on leasing a 'gate/daily slots' from 50 to 7. This is possibly more technical and depends on AE, but it should be fairly easy.

I am unaware of how AE is programmed, but this should be fairly easy.

There is no reason that I can see that as to why this cannot be fairly easily implemented in 3.1 in its current form. If there is a reason, I would be more than prepared to consider a different solution.

If the issue is technical, I am more than happy to consider a solution that is within the easily adjustable part of AE.

If the issue is related to this idea as a concept, I am more than happy to engage in further debate.

The inherent thing we need to consider is that in the real world, 95% of airports fall to the demands of airlines.

Therefore, when I look down a list of all European airports, I should expect to see a small number of airports, like Heathrow or London City without gates, whereas the vast majority should be more than willing to accept the carrier that is interested in flying there.

Administrator of UnitedSkies alliance

and also a member of some other ones, but they're 2vip4u

grimsleeper

grimsleeper

AE Player

• 44 posts

User's Awards

There is no reason that I can see that as to why this cannot be fairly easily implemented in 3.1 in its current form. If there is a reason, I would be more than prepared to consider a different solution.

If the issue is technical, I am more than happy to consider a solution that is within the easily adjustable part of AE.

As a programmer(not on AE), let me say it is easy to make big changes but not always the changes you intended.

Sheepy

Sheepy

N/A

• 1,935 posts

User's Awards

Well I'm thinking surely there must be a '50' written somewhere for number of slots per gate, which is the only real change to the code that needs to be made. If we change all the '50's to '7's, it should work, however I can't say this with confidence.

Tintinfan

Tintinfan

AE's No.1 Trainfan!

• 1,249 posts

Well I'm thinking surely there must be a '50' written somewhere for number of slots per gate, which is the only real change to the code that needs to be made. If we change all the '50's to '7's, it should work, however I can't say this with confidence.

If the each AE world has their own database (I believe they do) then all you'd really need to do is get something to run through and multiply all the gates in the database.

Either way, however it is done - I agree with concept of multiplication of gates are the only reasonable solution to the slot shortage.

AE Moderator | Globe Alliance Admin | AE's No.1 Railway Enthusiast

675143919b.jpg

Sheepy

Sheepy

N/A

• 1,935 posts

User's Awards

That's more for the increasing the number of gates at airports, the coding thing is what must be done to reduce the number of slots you get every time you lease a gate.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users