Photo

3 Small 100 Airline Worlds

• Please log in to reply
80 replies to this topic

Poll: 3 Small 100 Airline Worlds (69 member(s) have cast votes)

Should 3 Small 100 airline Worlds be created

1. Voted Yes Definately (57 votes [82.61%])

Percentage of vote: 82.61%

2. No Way!! (12 votes [17.39%])

Percentage of vote: 17.39%

Which would be the best timeframe for the new Worlds

1. Voted 1960-2000 (3 votes [4.35%])

Percentage of vote: 4.35%

2. 1960-2010 (5 votes [7.25%])

Percentage of vote: 7.25%

3. Voted 1960-2020 (27 votes [39.13%])

Percentage of vote: 39.13%

4. 1990-2030 (20 votes [28.99%])

Percentage of vote: 28.99%

5. Voted Other (14 votes [20.29%])

Percentage of vote: 20.29%

Vote Guests cannot vote

QK Flight Industries

QK Flight Industries

a Wandering Guide to AE and Beyond

• 2,135 posts

adityapratama: if people would leave because they get bored of lack of competition, then there would be NO mega airlines so mega airlines and people leaving can not both exist, mega airlines would have higher rates because of possible (but again not garunteed lack of competition) so smaller airlines could come in and get a foothold providing lower rates, even if the mega airlines cut there rates to less profitable, the small airlines could open up at airports that everyone says will be ignored, giving them an option to grow, and they could grow enough to be able to compete with the mega airlines.

Problem with that scenario is that the majority of those players who start anew in the middle of worlds don't have the know how or the ability to find those small unused airports. As of right now, there are plans to try and update the wiki, but that will take time. In the mean time, we'll have the majority of people who don't quite understand the intricacies of the game whining and complaining in chat. If anything, these worlds should be marked expert (like S2) and should have stricter rules concerning the successful operation of such airlines. That should discourage the newbies from entering the world (especially if it is an open world, which is a popular place to learn how to play). I'm still not sold on the 50 year duration, because even the mega airlines will get bored and go stagnant after 20-30 years.

16590230781_7cc5cf6013.jpg

Sig.png

AXUbLwK.png

It's really me, now. #backtoAE

Chandler Keith Henson

Chandler Keith Henson

AE Player

• 59 posts

User's Awards

im still a fan of this, 50 year, 100 airlines, and i learned on my own about smaller airports, so they would too, if they cant learn then they cant compete, and if the mega airlines really get bored then they wont be around to crush the competition.

Sheepy

Sheepy

N/A

• 1,935 posts

User's Awards

Sheepy: that imposes too much restriction, especialy on an OPEN world

Again, open worlds are boring. Nothing says it can't be implemented in a realistic world. :P
The idea of this is to prevent these smaller worlds being exactly the same as the 300 person ones, just with fewer airlines.
I do not see limiting competition as an inherently bad idea.
Competition in fact, bores me. Wastes my time having to crush it and I find it in no way interesting.
Some people like competition. I recommend they play in the larger worlds.
Some people don't. They could play in the smaller ones. Problem solved?

I believe we really need to trial this world to determine how well it works, rather than just theorising.

Administrator of UnitedSkies alliance

and also a member of some other ones, but they're 2vip4u

Nexus8

Nexus8

Football Wingback

• 2,389 posts

User's Awards

How about make a system like in real life inwhich an airline will get paid by the government to fly to smaller airports. Or we limit how many major airports 15m, 20m, 30m that you can operate millions of pax from so you are restricteds.

Signature%203.png

adityapratama

adityapratama

Indonesian Sub-Forum Moderator

• 1,067 posts

adityapratama: if people would leave because they get bored of lack of competition, then there would be NO mega airlines so mega airlines and people leaving can not both exist, mega airlines would have higher rates because of possible (but again not garunteed lack of competition) so smaller airlines could come in and get a foothold providing lower rates, even if the mega airlines cut there rates to less profitable, the small airlines could open up at airports that everyone says will be ignored, giving them an option to grow, and they could grow enough to be able to compete with the mega airlines.

You don't get my opinion here, when I said mega airlines, that'll be only around 10-15% of the total airlines in the world and when I'm saying people are leaving is the newcomer.

I agree with sheepy for a trial world,let say 20 years world maybe?

Globe Alliance Leader

R1RDz7e.jpg

QK Flight Industries

QK Flight Industries

• 2,135 posts

How about make a system like in real life inwhich an airline will get paid by the government to fly to smaller airports. Or we limit how many major airports 15m, 20m, 30m that you can operate millions of pax from so you are restricteds.

Not supported in AE3.1. Perhaps add it to the AE4.0 bucket list? :P (Expect it within the century.)

Sig.png

AXUbLwK.png

pseudoswede

pseudoswede

Play to win.

• 403 posts

User's Awards

5    3      

I believe we really need to trial this world to determine how well it works, rather than just theorising.

I would certainly look forward to zero competition, as opposed to the very little competition that I get now.

Pineair

Pineair

AE Luver

• 474 posts

User's Awards

10    16    12       9   

You don't get my opinion here, when I said mega airlines, that'll be only around 10-15% of the total airlines in the world and when I'm saying people are leaving is the newcomer.

I agree with sheepy for a trial world,let say 20 years world maybe?

There were once ten year games could try that.

Isn't the real problem that with no limit on the number of terminals you have far more flights than the capacity of the runways?

Chandler Keith Henson

Chandler Keith Henson

AE Player

• 59 posts

User's Awards

i agree with Sheepy that competition especialy if its alot, bores me

i dont know about limiting the time, that might limit people from trying it cause they think its too short, a trial run should be a full game, some people might not join a 20 year game cause they would think it would be boring cause its soo short, id say a trial run of 40 years like normal. but maybe start with only One 100 airline world instead of 3 for the trial run.

JF Peng

JF Peng

AE Addict To-Be

• 22 posts
I have a very wild idea of a world that lasts from 1930 to 2050, max 100 airlines, and 10 minutes per day. :P

QK Flight Industries

QK Flight Industries

• 2,135 posts

I have a very wild idea of a world that lasts from 1930 to 2050, max 100 airlines, and 10 minutes per day. :P

I'm betting that the world would be dead by 1950, due to the fact that AE can't really replicate historical situations and the amount of data for aircraft back then is minimal, if existent.

Sig.png

AXUbLwK.png

Chandler Keith Henson

Chandler Keith Henson

AE Player

• 59 posts

User's Awards

yea 1950 start would be the earliest possible, but for now just start at 1960, i like 20min/day 1960 to 2010 or 2020 with 100 airlines.

QK Flight Industries

QK Flight Industries

• 2,135 posts
Even so, I question having such a long world to gauge interest.

Sig.png

AXUbLwK.png

Chandler Keith Henson

Chandler Keith Henson

AE Player

• 59 posts

User's Awards

yes but not for this small world, this small world would be ideal if it was a 1960-2010 or 2020. and a short world could turn people away, as they feel its too short.

Chandler Keith Henson

Chandler Keith Henson

AE Player

• 59 posts

User's Awards

yea but some people may think 20 years is too short, there airline would have no time to grow

Yuxi

Yuxi

AE Developer

• AE Developer
  • 4,365 posts
To the OP: sorry to be blunt, but it sounds like you're "doing it wrong," so to speak. If it's taking you hours to recover your routes every day, it seems you are operating on the most crowded routes (which also take much longer to recalculate each time). Smaller routes take 1-3 seconds to save for me, so focusing on those would greatly reduce the time spent saving each route AND the number of times you have to change your price, making for an exponentially less stressful experience for you. Players who like competition can go fight for JFK-ORD, and for people who don't (like you) there are huge numbers of small/medium routes out there with little/no competition.

As an example, in a previous round I had 1500+ aircraft on 2200 routes. After not logging in for an entire week, my DOP dropped about 5%. I did not feel the need to log in on a daily basis. Because I generally avoided the biggest airports (don't like heavy competition), a very small number of routes needed "fixing" every day, and there was VERY little competitive pressure. 20-30 years in the game I still found completely empty routes with more than 500 daily pax demand.

If you haven't noticed, AE has unrealistically high demand on routes between smaller airports (at least within the continental US, which you're operating in). Effectively this makes operating to smaller airports MUCH easier than it should be, as you can run many many routes profitably that can't support even a Q100 in real life. In the US at least, AE already makes it very easy to find tons of routes that would not exist in real life but would allow you to operate 1-4x daily 737 or A320 with no competition.

My hypothesis is that the trunk routes will still be crowded as ever in smaller worlds. If you focus on the trunk routes like ORD-ATL and JFK-MIA, of course there will be heavy competition. If you don't like competition, there are plenty of smaller airports to fly to.

But I suppose it doesn't hurt to start a 100-airline (1 per player) world to see how things turn out...

Chandler Keith Henson

Chandler Keith Henson

AE Player

• 59 posts

User's Awards

well im not focusing on trunk routes, but having a realistic american airline requries them, especialy if i want to semi model my airline after a real one. and yea there still will probably be overcrowding but reduced.

and the fact is it takes hours because of lag, heck it takes a long time just to open say airline finance or open new route page

Edited by Chandler Keith Henson, 17 July 2012 - 02:01 AM.

QK Flight Industries

QK Flight Industries

• 2,135 posts

well im not focusing on trunk routes, but having a realistic american airline requries them, especialy if i want to semi model my airline after a real one. and yea there still will probably be overcrowding but reduced.

and the fact is it takes hours because of lag, heck it takes a long time just to open say airline finance or open new route page

That sounds like an issue on your side, not AE's. All of my airline op pages load pretty close to 5 seconds or less.

Sig.png

AXUbLwK.png

Chandler Keith Henson

Chandler Keith Henson

AE Player

• 59 posts

User's Awards

well it always lags for me, no matter where i am, home, and school (and my school has fast internet, 100mbps at times

QK Flight Industries

QK Flight Industries

• 2,135 posts

well it always lags for me, no matter where i am, home, and school (and my school has fast internet, 100mbps at times

You sure your school doesn't try to filter? Also, if you are using a substandard browser, you can expect AE to act slow.

You may also want to try cleaning up your computer, clearing cookies, cache, temp files, etc.

Sig.png

AXUbLwK.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users