Launch Customers

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

Guest_M4matthew_*

Guest_M4matthew_*
  • Guests
Launch customers should be determined by how large the order is rather than when they placed it...

For Example (under the current system):

The A320 starts delivery in 1988.
If Airline 'A' is the first to order the aircraft in 1986 and places an order for 2, they become the launch customer.
Yet Airline 'B' which orders 200 aircraft in 1987 is forgotten. Both airlines get their aircraft on the same day in 1988, yet airline 'A' is called the launch customer.

A new system could see the airline with the largest order (before the EIS date) becomes the launch customer.

The reason I suggest making an alteration to the current system is because some airlines order just 1 aircraft to have their airline name as the 'launch customer'. Once they've seen they're the launch customer they cancel their order. They end up with 0 of the aircraft type, yet are still called the launch customer.

Gusto

Gusto

• 6 posts
Hi M4matthew,

Personally, I prefer the "first come, first serve"-principle, so the airline that orders first becomes the launch customer. In fact, this is the very idea of being a launch customer, isn't it?

But what about this: if one airline cancels its orders, the next airline in row becomes the new launch customer? Maybe in addition with an reputation penalty for the airline who has canceled previously?

Regards

Guest_M4matthew_*

Guest_M4matthew_*
  • Guests
A lot of the time it's not that simple in the real world. For instance Air France was the first firm customer for the A380 in 2001, yet Singapore became the launch customer. Virgin America was the first airline to firmly order the NEO, yet it will be Qatar that will be the launch customer.

The problem with "first come, first serve" is it just comes down to who just happened to be online when the aircraft was launched. <_<

Gusto

Gusto

• 6 posts
However, if you just go after the ordered quantity this causes a major disadvantage for smaller airlines. There aren't that many airlines which order 200 aircraft at once. In this case I would be happier with the current launch customer system.

Guest_M4matthew_*

Guest_M4matthew_*
  • Guests
But in the real world very few small airlines become launch customers

Royen

Royen

CEO Of Royen Airlines

• 1,566 posts

A lot of the time it's not that simple in the real world. For instance Air France was the first firm customer for the A380 in 2001, yet Singapore became the launch customer. Virgin America was the first airline to firmly order the NEO, yet it will be Qatar that will be the launch customer.

The problem with "first come, first serve" is it just comes down to who just happened to be online when the aircraft was launched. <_<

I do agree with this. It is a first in first served basis but with different time zones, being a launch customer is basically luck. I think though we should still stick to the current format now and look into the options further down the track, maybe AE 4.0 :awesome: Also with the 787 DreamLiner Air New Zealand is the launch customer although All Nippon Airways or something like that was the first firm order! :P

Thanks,

Royen Airlines

we%20are%20vertice%202.png?dl=0

Sig.png

#gogolden2015 

zakariae

zakariae

Qatar Airways CEO

• 127 posts

User's Awards

3    4    2      

Hi M4matthew,

Personally, I prefer the "first come, first serve"-principle, so the airline that orders first becomes the launch customer. In fact, this is the very idea of being a launch customer, isn't it?

But what about this: if one airline cancels its orders, the next airline in row becomes the new launch customer? Maybe in addition with an reputation penalty for the airline who has canceled previously?

Regards

i totally i agree with that. if the first airline orders and and cancels the next airline to order after it should be the large customer :)

Sheepy

Sheepy

N/A

• 1,935 posts

User's Awards

Launch customers are tricky. I would possibly make it so you must order at least five of the type in order to become the launch customer, except within the first year of gameplay.
Five is enough to be annoying to dispose of if you're really not interested in the aircraft.
I strongly disagree with making it the largest order, however.

Administrator of UnitedSkies alliance

and also a member of some other ones, but they're 2vip4u

txaggie

txaggie

AE Know It All

• 157 posts

That's not at all accurate re: who Airbus considers to be launch customers of those programs. For example, Singapore, Emirates, Air France, and Qantas have all been considered launch customers by Airbus's A380 program.

Sheepy is on the right track.

craigdwatson

craigdwatson

AE Know It All

• 112 posts

User's Awards

I agree to an extend here....

There should be more info on an aircraft spec section such as...

Top 5 order customers
Top 5 Operators for an aircraft family overall, an airline could operate collectively the largest 737 family fleet with most of the 737 variants but gets no attention for it -_-

Delta787

Delta787

Delta787

• 92 posts
The launch customer thing is overrated. Like txaggie said, oh by the welcome aggies to SEC Country this year, you can put up a firm order, but maybethe airline wants to recieve the aircraft at a later date and they swap with another airline for that position on the manufacturing line to be the launch customer of that aircraft. It happens all the time. It happened with the 787 also. But I think they should have a minimum amount that you can order in order to be considered a launch customer and also, that aircraft that was first off the line must be put into revenue service in order to recieve 'Launch Customer' status. That way, no airline can order and then cancel so they can get recognition as number one to order. I hope I kind of made sense there. :lol:

Kelvie Smith
A&P Mechanic
Flight Sim Enthusiast

Posted ImagePosted Image

Moldova96

Moldova96

AE Winner

• AE Moderator / Data Collector
  • 2,024 posts
That is very complex though, yes there are some airlines that order aircraft and never use them, but I think the idea of the largest order should be the launch customer this would be complex as people are constantly placing orders in the run up to an aircrafts release so we may not have a specific launch customer until the launch day.

eu30cUI.png

Delta787

Delta787

Delta787

• 92 posts

That is very complex though, yes there are some airlines that order aircraft and never use them, but I think the idea of the largest order should be the launch customer this would be complex as people are constantly placing orders in the run up to an aircrafts release so we may not have a specific launch customer until the launch day.

Okay, I see your point on that. Try this one: In order to be considered a launch customer, the aircraft must be bought, not leased. Okay, I see a problem with that, but it might work and cut out the 'Order one for the Launch Customer status' syndrome. That way, they have committed cash, multi-million dollars worth of cash for that aircraft and if I spend about $10 to $60 million cash deposit on an aircraft, I am going to fly it! :salute:

Kelvie Smith
A&P Mechanic
Flight Sim Enthusiast

Posted ImagePosted Image

-Newcdn

-Newcdn

• 514 posts

I do agree with this. It is a first in first served basis but with different time zones, being a launch customer is basically luck. I think though we should still stick to the current format now and look into the options further down the track, maybe AE 4.0 :awesome: Also with the 787 DreamLiner Air New Zealand is the launch customer although All Nippon Airways or something like that was the first firm order! :P

Thanks,

Royen Airlines

Air New Zealand is not the launch customer of the 787 program, it is only the launch customer for the 787-9 version.

Moldova96

Moldova96

AE Winner

• AE Moderator / Data Collector
  • 2,024 posts
Yes the purchase thing would defiently work better than the current lease thing. It's fustrating when you place a $3 billion order for aircraft and a tiny airline that has a small fleet is considered the launch customer.

eu30cUI.png

Royen

Royen

CEO Of Royen Airlines

• 1,566 posts

Air New Zealand is not the launch customer of the 787 program, it is only the launch customer for the 787-9 version.

Oh, sorry. That is what I meant! :P

Yes the purchase thing would defiently work better than the current lease thing. It's fustrating when you place a $3 billion order for aircraft and a tiny airline that has a small fleet is considered the launch customer.

I completely agree. It should go to the largest airline up to the first 100 orders or something :P

we%20are%20vertice%202.png?dl=0

Sig.png

#gogolden2015 

Guest_M4matthew_*

Guest_M4matthew_*
  • Guests

It's fustrating when you place a $3 billion order for aircraft and a tiny airline that has a small fleet is considered the launch customer.

Haha, yes that's what I was getting at. Eloquently put :P

Amadeus Inc.

Amadeus Inc.

Group CEO, Amadeus Inc.

• 355 posts

User's Awards

6    7    10    6    2   
Another frustrating thing: I'm the launch customer for 787-9 in O1, but others airlines get their dozens of 787-9 first, simply because I still have lots of 787-8 pending delivery. :S

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users