Photo

When should I replace aircraft and how do I do it efficiently?

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

kevin2016

kevin2016

• 8 posts

I have some Boeing 737-800s that are nearing the end of their 10-year lease and I am wondering if I should replace them or keep them. If I replace, I wonder how I could do it efficiently so I wouldn't lose revenue.

zortan

zortan

AE Winner

• 2,515 posts

Well, replacing, I would do after 15 or 20 years, rather than 10. You can extend or buy out your leases for now, that will be good. For replacing, get your replacement aircraft in (let's use the 737 MAX 8 as an example), and then you're ready to replace. You buy your 737-800s lease out, and then you go to its flight list. Then, you select all of the flights there and choose the 737 max 8 from the change aircraft menu. Then, you just click go, and it should change the routes to the MAX. Then, you can sell your -800, from its main page.

Jamesthomeson

Jamesthomeson

Desperate to Fly

• 451 posts
zortan is correct. Though the most efficient way to sell or extend leases on aircraft(whichever you choose to go with) is to go the aircraft tab and show all 737-800s and then select the checkbox far all aircraft on the page and at the bottom you should see how many items were selected and you can choose to sell, buy, terminate or extend leases for those aircraft.
t4lPIvQ.jpgUjfJ0sC.png

Infestation

Infestation

Sardines Are Decent In A Way Only Monkeys Understand..

• 664 posts

User's Awards

I personally like to start replacing my aircraft at 11 or 12 years but I think that you should get some A320 to replace them. I would say 737-800 but it will get very confusing replacing aircraft with the same aircraft
post-84154-0-29696800-1507229128_thumb.jae3ra_6.jpgae3o2_412.jpg

I am edible. If you eat me though, you are a cannibal

zortan

zortan

AE Winner

• 2,515 posts

I personally like to start replacing my aircraft at 11 or 12 years but I think that you should get some A320 to replace them. I would say 737-800 but it will get very confusing replacing aircraft with the same aircraft

I didn't say use the same plane. I said use the MAX

Infestation

Infestation

• 664 posts

User's Awards

But the 737MAX isn't available yet in his world

zortan

zortan

AE Winner

• 2,515 posts

But the 737MAX isn't available yet in his world

oh okay, but he said that his planes were only 10 years old. so, he could wait a few years.

Hans.

Hans.

I just really like airplanes

• 188 posts

User's Awards

Could also replace the -800s with larger -900s if there's enough demand on the network.

uw_sig2.png

Ejki

Ejki

AE Player

• 51 posts

Could also replace the -800s with larger -900s if there's enough demand on the network.

the 900 is the same size

Infestation

Infestation

• 664 posts

User's Awards

The -900ER is different than the -900. The -900ER has 220 seats instead of 189.

zortan

zortan

AE Winner

• 2,515 posts

the 900 is the same size

I think he meant -900ER

driver_46

driver_46

• 2 posts

Why buy aircraft only to replace them? Seems like a waste of money.

zortan

zortan

AE Winner

• 2,515 posts

Why buy aircraft only to replace them? Seems like a waste of money.

Well - when you buy out a lease, it costs less money than you get from selling it usually. So you usually get a couple of mils out of the deal.

Hans.

Hans.

I just really like airplanes

• 188 posts

User's Awards

Well - when you buy out a lease, it costs less money than you get from selling it usually. So you usually get a couple of mils out of the deal.

Actually, you lose a little bit of money by buying out the aircraft. But it is a lot less than you lose if you terminate the lease before it ends.

uw_sig2.png

Whirligig

Whirligig

AE Player

• 93 posts

User's Awards

buy them. It's realistic for airlines to operate planes anywhere between 20 to 30 years.

Tesla

Tesla

Inactive

• 2,392 posts

Actually, you lose a little bit of money by buying out the aircraft. But it is a lot less than you lose if you terminate the lease before it ends.

You get a discount of around 20% of the aircrafts original value after 3 years. You then must remove depreciation to get your lease buy-out price. When you sell, you sell without the lease discount, but with the (far smaller) market fee. Where you lose is the original lease payments. But overall, compared to letting a lease run dry, it is a gain.

WAZZ

WAZZ

Fan of being inactive

• 298 posts
  • Skype Name:wazzupyoshi

User's Awards

You never really have to replace them. Some aircraft have no replacements, and thus are worth keeping far beyond the 10 year lease (Canadair CL-44, Boeing 757, the DC-9 and its variants, Airbus A340 (shoutouts to the -500, and so many other that I don't feel like listing). Others, such as the Boeing 737, the Lockheed trijets, the Airbus A330, and most other airplanes can be retired after 25-35 years imo.

As for others that don't have replacements but are crap (shoutouts to SST here), don't get them period. If you do, keep it 10 years at max.

Discord: Farko#3900 lolbanned

RJM

RJM

AE Know It All

• 146 posts

User's Awards

17    2    8   

It may, but the buy-resale works if there is little on the used market. If the used market is flooded then you lose money.

RJM

Anzatax

Anzatax

Airline Manager

• 488 posts

Well, I personally like to replace aircraft between 5 - 10 years of age, though the more experienced players may think differently. It really is a personal choice whether and when you would like them replaced, though perhaps a certain age group would be more worth the money.

If you want to replace them efficiently, the best way would be to plan ahead. If you set a target for wgen you would like to have the replacement phase finished, then you will have to start ordering and acquiring aircraft way before that date. Calculate how many aircraft you need and how long it would take to acquire all of them by the deadline. Then, start ordering or leasing the aircraft you need. To make it easier, you could delay the deliveries into batches, for example, five aircraft a batch, one batch per 4 game weeks, etc. That will make replacement easier, faster, and more efficient (with less aicraft idle at a time, and a shorter replacement phase period). Also, to replace the aircraft, you should find a similarly-sized one, and of course a more profitable and efficient one, as replacement.

The process should not result in revenue losses, and the smoother you are at the replacement process, the better and more efficient it will be. But it is always a harrowing time to mass-replace your fleet :P

Hope this may be of some help. :)

Md8XK1m.png

Tc0zSqK.png

bC0X1JS.png

Whirligig

Whirligig

AE Player

• 93 posts

User's Awards

In this game, it really isn't worth replacing anything, unless your airline depends on it. Sometimes buying new planes helps refresh valuation, and newer fleet age is good, but it really doesn't matter much. anywhere under 20 years is a waste of money in my opinion. (and in the real world) BA is pushing their 744s to 30 years and beyond right now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users