I am very excited to launch of this year's edition of the AE Arabic Design Contest. I decided to bring out this year's AE Arabic Design earlier than the usual June-July season to help everyone stay home and to build on some of the great design momentum I've noticed on the graphics forums nowadays. Initially, the idea was to launch a spinoff version, but judging by the last one's performance I figured it would be a better idea to bring out the full contest a little earlier than June/July, when I expect to be busy with real life obligations anyways.
I started the the AE Arabic Design Contest in 2018 to encourage the creation of high quality Arab designs. In the past couple years I noticed a dramatic improvement, with some exceptional entries last year and an overall greater attention to the use of Arabic design elements. Ever since, I have been delighted to see more great initiatives for regional or specialized design challenges. I would like to congratulate the winners of the East Asian Design Challenge 2020, and thank the hosts N.x.w.m and Boeing707 for holding a great event!
In addition, I have decided to start a new tradition for Arabic Design Contests to come. Every year I shall select a favorite entry of mine (not necessarily one of the winners) and ask that they carry the AEAD branding of the year with a special livery and "host" the contest in their respective state. I am proud to announce that this year's "host" is Jumeirah Airways. Jumeirah entered in the first edition of AE Arabic Design (2018) and finished strong as a runner up. The design has come a long way since and has become one of my personal favorites.
I hope this year's edition builds upon some of the great design I've noticed in other contests and that everyone can have fun with a challenge that I've become very fond of hosting every year. I encourage everyone to visit the previous contests (2018 & 2019) and draw from the design and commentary of these editions. I also would like to point out the updated rules for this year's edition, including the addition of a brand new submission category. I hope to see some of the strongest Arabic Design entries yet this year.
Good luck, بالتوفيق
Submit a brand portfolio for an original airline based in the Arab World* by May 12th.**
Carefully read the rules, guidelines, and point categories for more information.
Figure 1. A map of the Arab World. Israeli designs will not be considered
- "Brand portfolio" means a logo and livery at minimum.
- Logo and/or Livery must contain Arabic titles.
- Submissions are grouped as follows:
Group [A] - National Carriers - Group [B] Low Cost Carriers - Group [C] Cargo & Other Carriers
Note: Entries to the AE Arabic Design: LCC Edition are accepted for submission to Group B as the contest was never completed.
- Participants may submit a single entry to each group. This means one participant may submit up to three entries (one to each Group).
[a] Clearly indicate which group(s) your entry(-ies) belongs to;
[b] Include all your entries within the same post;
- Total submissions cannot exceed three airlines per base to each category.
- Submissions must be based in the Arab World (see figure 1); Israeli designs will not be considered.
- Re-submission of entries from previous Arabic Design editions is not allowed:
[a] Designs greatly changed and/or improved upon may be allowed to re-enter;
[b] Previous Top Three entries and Runners Up are not allowed to re-enter.
- Entries must follow the following format:
[a] All submissions for all groups must be included in the same post;
[b] Include as a centered heading before your entry for each Group the following title:
"[Group (A/B/C)] [Airline Name] [Base City]"
e.g. "GROUP A | Arab Airlines | Cairo";
[c] Disable your signature by unchecking "enable signature?" on your post's full editor mode;
- Reservations need to include the planned base city and the planned group.
- Entries are recorded on the Official Entry List.
- Name and overall design must be as original as possible.
- Both entries made from scratch and ones previously prepared or released are accepted, so long as they follow the rules and guidelines.
- Submit modern airline designs (~2010s–).
- Written descriptions, explanations, or histories are not required but will be considered.
- Limited branding advice is available upon request or if necessary.
Originality & Inspiration 5pts.| Realism & Accuracy 5pts.
Design 5pts. | Cohesiveness 5pts.
Arabic Elements 5pts. | Arabic Fonts & Font Pairing 5pts.
* See Figure 1.
** Deadline may be extended.
***BoingTheOstrich reserves the exclusive right to modify any rules, guidelines, or point categories.