Photo

What if Delta and Continental Merge?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

deltafan

deltafan

• 117 posts
I've heard possibility of this going around for awhile now. What would you guys think? Do you think they'd keep the name Delta, or Continental, or change it entirely?

airline55

airline55

• 1,198 posts
Well, if this were to happen, they might get a new name. But, I don't see thiis happening. Delta is not in good shape and CO has a much closer relationship with NW.

Phil2016

Phil2016

• 37 posts
CO is actually making money, so why mess with what is working?

deltafan

deltafan

• 117 posts
Well, if they merge, they'de become the world's largest airline. What if NW, CO, and DL merged?

Coeurlion

Coeurlion

• 349 posts
Itll be like when TWA merged with AA. I think they would keep the Continental name. Which makes me sad because all the old airline name are disappearing. Pan Am, TWA, and now Delta. The US will be taken over by regional flying, and new name airlines like JetBlue. Until the day that GE or RR make a hydrogen engine then regionals would loose out dueto the cost of fuel would drop.

deltafan

deltafan

• 117 posts
Actually, Delta being the larger, more famous, would probably retain that name or change it.

Syrami764

Syrami764

• 57 posts
  • AIM Screen Name:Chandaman61388
  • Yahoo ID:delta76234

Originally posted by deltafan
Actually, Delta being the larger, more famous, would probably retain that name or change it.

I doubt it. Continental has a name around the world too. Plus if Continental was doing the buying then they'd have a right to keep the Continental name and drop the Delta name.

piercey

piercey

I heart Embraer!

• 1,375 posts
  • Yahoo ID:pierceyohio@sbcglobal.net
Hell would freeze over if this happened

Syrami764

Syrami764

• 57 posts

Originally posted by piercey
Hell would freeze over if this happened

Too soon...... UA would exit Chapter 11 before this happened ;)

RmTrice

RmTrice

• 255 posts
  • AIM Screen Name:RmTrice07
NW actually owns controlling interest (about 25% i believe) of Continental. It was rumored a long time ago NW and CO were going to merge but it never happened. Recently, in a Managers conference my dad had to attend at MSP, the discussion of a merger with CO was brought up and talked about for a while.

However seeing that CO is showing a profit and NW is nearing CH. 11, I doubt the two airlines will merge until both are on a similar financial status.

Syrami764

Syrami764

• 57 posts

Originally posted by RmTrice
However seeing that CO is showing a profit and NW is nearing CH. 11, I doubt the two airlines will merge until both are on a similar financial status.

That isn't stopping America West from buying US which is doing worse than Northwest. I don't think it's the smartest thing, but being near or in chapter 11 wouldn't stop CO from actually doing it. The gov't will do that haha

[Edited on 8/5/2005 by Syrami764]

Atlantic_Air

Atlantic_Air

• 846 posts
IMO, they would never merge. Delta's financial state is currently in ruins and Continental's actually making money and expanding. Why kill the situation? Just cuz ther in the same alliance?

piercey

piercey

I heart Embraer!

• 1,375 posts
  • Yahoo ID:pierceyohio@sbcglobal.net

The gov't will do that haha

If that happened, every single American airline, from the legacys to the unknowns, will sign a temporary treuce and march up to the supreme court with workers with shotguns! :P :P

HADC10

HADC10

• 273 posts
If DL and CO merged, they might end up keeping both names, like Air France and KLM

Atlantic_Air

Atlantic_Air

• 846 posts
why would CO want to sink down? :P

[Edited on 11/28/2005 by Atlantic_Air]

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users