Photo

aviation student needs help!

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

JerseyShoreAir

JerseyShoreAir

• 3 posts
Hey Guys,

I have to run an airline on the AE2 1985 world for 10 weeks as a part of my class grade for AVN 390 at Ohio University. I have never used this, or anything like it before, and was wondering if anyone who knows their stuff could give me a head start on my classmates. I start with $5 million. I'm not looking to compete with any of you guys, I just want to know what I have to do and how I should set up my airline and routes with such limited funds available, in order to get to the top of my class. If anyone can help, please let me know. Thanks so much!

Evan

Delta Force

Delta Force

• 96 posts
Well, I have only flown 2000s worlds, but even in those I have found the small number of Lockheed L-1011s that you can get used to be quite good. They are like a cross between a 767 and 777 in terms of capacity, and with fuel consumption around that of modern 767s that makes it quite effective.

I advise flying from mid sized airports like IAD domestically, and avoid flying to larger airports.

JerseyShoreAir

JerseyShoreAir

• 3 posts
Thanks Delta Force. I appreciate it, and I will certainly look into that.

Anyone else with ideas/tips/pointers?

Modesto

Modesto

• 99 posts
Well if it is for a class I think that what your professor may want you to do is start off small, with maybe a few turboprops for the first year and develop from that. Probably have a good domestic market before going regional or long haul international. Probably wants you to say why you choose certain aircraft to fly the routes you are going to fly, which replacement aircraft your going to use after a few years. Maybe you should start off in a small airport and then transfer all your flights to a bigger airport as you become bigger. In your report you could talk about your difficulties of growing your airline and competing in routes. Try and make it interesting. Just be careful with the reset days, write down everything you do, so that you don't lose all your data. I think the next reset is in mid-November or end of November because there is going to be a new version, so have that in mind. Good luck to you.

Delta Force

Delta Force

• 96 posts
That is certainly true. Props or small jets produce reliable income when flown to mid or small sized airports. You can make more money flying long range to bigger cities, but the competition can be quite intense and routes have such greater supply than demand that you can lose large amounts of money.

You should also probably stick to economy and business class seats on all but the largest routes, because most routes do not have enough first class seats to make having first class much more profitable than jusy having business class as the highest. I only fly first class on international flights, although on my smaller international aircraft like the 767 I don't have first class.

JerseyShoreAir

JerseyShoreAir

• 3 posts
I feel like I have dug myself into a small hole....I have spent about $2.2m to get my operations going. I have two planes, an ATR and a Vickers VC10, both on lease. I operate out of Chattanooga, TN and Jacksonville, FL. Right now I average $129,000 profit per day. If I did my math right, I should break even in about 17 AE2 days. Right? How can I decide where to fly to and increase my daily profits? Thanks for all of your help. Let me know ASAP!

Moldova96

Moldova96

AE Winner

• AE Moderator / Data Collector
  • 2,024 posts
First of all I would get rid of the VC-10 due to fuel consumption, I would try to fly to airports that offer you at least a 1x daily flight and that gives you a decent profit, I would also explore trying to get flights in feeding your airline.

eu30cUI.png

Paco Ardizzone

Paco Ardizzone

• 119 posts
I am currently #2 in AE2 as I am too lazy to put all my airlines to work (about 40 of them doing nothing...).

The basics:
- dont expand too quickly
- make sure you use the right aircraft for the right distance
- dont start with too many gates (especially now as profit is lower)

cheers

Paco Ardizzone

Paco Ardizzone

• 119 posts

First of all I would get rid of the VC-10 due to fuel consumption, I would try to fly to airports that offer you at least a 1x daily flight and that gives you a decent profit, I would also explore trying to get flights in feeding your airline.

VC-10 helped me a lot in the beginning of the game as the cost nothing and give decent profit if there are no competitors.

At the moment I would either choose ATR or a Saab

Paco Ardizzone

Paco Ardizzone

• 119 posts

I am currently #2 in AE2 as I am too lazy to put all my airlines to work (about 40 of them doing nothing...).

The basics:
- dont expand too quickly
- make sure you use the right aircraft for the right distance
- dont start with too many gates (especially now as profit is lower)

cheers

Make that 72 airplanes doing nothing...

If anyone has time, feel free to offer help :P

Clutch Airball

Clutch Airball

Hallo.

• 430 posts
AE school project? AWSM!
Proud AE member since 15th August, 2010
Planes I've travelled on:
A319, A320, A330, A380, B767, B777-200, B777-200ER, B777-200LR, B777-300, B777-300ER, ERJ-175,

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users