- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

Yuxi

Yuxi

AE Developer

• AE Developer
  • 4,365 posts
I have decided to revise our development plans to focus on improving the core gameplay as the highest priority for the next major update (AE 3.1). For the next few months, we will focus on improving the economic model in AE to control runaway profits and making loadfactors more predictable.

So, our objectives for the next update are now as follows (this is all subject to change, so always check the wiki timeline for the latest plans):
  • Company image index (takes frequency, on-time performance, advertising, staff, legroom, IFE, and company age into account)
  • Loans, forced bankruptcy
  • Credit system (affects loans, aircraft leases)
  • Detailed financial breakdowns (fuel cost by type, etc)
  • Revised fuel burn calculations
  • More sources of revenues and costs
  • New realistic demand script
  • More labor controls (salaries, layoffs), possible strikes
  • Payload/weight penalties, runway flexibility (tentative, depends on data collection)
  • Random events (e.g. storm shutting down entire airport(s) for 1-2 days)
  • IFE updates and cabin service will continue to be in AE3.1 due to the work already put into it.
Other bells and whistles (including modifying aircraft orders, etc) have been pushed back so we can focus on more substantive parts of the game.

If you have other suggestions (important things I've left out) for AE's economics, feel free to post them in the feature requests forum. :)

9M-TKS

9M-TKS

• 888 posts
What do you mean by "runaway profits"?
Posted Image

First to fly - Airbus A350, B787-9 in AE8

Maestro69

Maestro69

El Original Mod, AE Beta Tester

• AE Moderator
  • 4,010 posts

User's Awards

3    3   
Isnt saying a couple of months with all the above to be implemented a bit of too much of a scope?

And most of this stuff i have heard before. Why the sudden want to implement them?

Too much of a convenience for mine.. then again, we shall what the end result will be. :pout:

dleLlDN.png?raw=1

Yuxi

Yuxi

AE Developer

• AE Developer
  • 4,365 posts

Isnt saying a couple of months with all the above to be implemented a bit of too much of a scope?

And most of this stuff i have heard before. Why the sudden want to implement them?

Too much of a convenience for mine.. then again, we shall what the end result will be. :pout:

None of the plans are new (in fact they've been on the wiki for months). I just rearranged the order. ;)

Yuxi

Yuxi

AE Developer

• AE Developer
  • 4,365 posts

What do you mean by "runaway profits"?

Costs not keeping up with revenue growth, leading airlines to accumulate $ billions of assets in the first couple of years. After that they're virtually invincible, and continued growth just depends on how many hours a day you're willing to spend putting planes on routes. :/

BritAbroad

BritAbroad

Moderator and Data Collector

• Data Manager
  • 1,677 posts
Sounds good to me.

Also will we ever be seeing a return of the stock market, or has that been written off after what happened last time?

sagsmall.png

Yuxi

Yuxi

AE Developer

• AE Developer
  • 4,365 posts

Sounds good to me.

Also will we ever be seeing a return of the stock market, or has that been written off after what happened last time?

That's going to take a while. I do plan to bring it back in the future, but it will be a separate update. :P

un1

un1

AE Developer

• AE Developer
  • 1,187 posts

User's Awards

2    3         
Of course I got no input in this... :P

R6 - NSW Airlines

Kirkland

Kirkland

AE King

• 1,504 posts
I have a question. Do you know any good services to make a website look like an airline's reservation website? Thanks , I have 3 websites and I think I could use them.

nWcLJH0.png

Yuxi

Yuxi

AE Developer

• AE Developer
  • 4,365 posts

Of course I got no input in this... :P

Hence the post starting with "I" and not "We" :whistling:

Clutch Airball

Clutch Airball

Hallo.

• 430 posts

Hence the post starting with "I" and not "We" :whistling:

Heh, heh.
Proud AE member since 15th August, 2010
Planes I've travelled on:
A319, A320, A330, A380, B767, B777-200, B777-200ER, B777-200LR, B777-300, B777-300ER, ERJ-175,

craigdwatson

craigdwatson

AE Know It All

• 112 posts

User's Awards

All sounds great, especially the idea of storms and other issues causing closures, here is a few of my ideas, some are already mentioned...

> Scheduling? Have a 1 week overview per aircraft (and for each route), when creating route be required to select the time slot on the aircraft’s schedule (table format?). Night departures at certain cities could be banned or cause additional costs? Per airport, slots could be another competition factor, with limits for how many flights can operate per hour which could help slow the pace some of the large airlines grow, giving new users a better experience. Demand model could represent demand for peak times and lower demand for night flights for different classes (Y-Class more popular for tourists on night flights? Flights to “business hubs” more popular at peak times?). The randomised “inconveniences” such as storms and unscheduled maintenance for unreliable aircraft would work great alongside a scheduling feature.
> Option to open a subsidy of existing airline such as “City Flyer” or “Regional Express” operations, simply choose which “name” an aircraft flies under and be able to make logo and liveries for it, but to have the same home country restriction as parent airline, but for the statistics to collectively take subsidies into account. This could help reduce game world slots running out so fast? Alternatively, users only allowed one airline per game, then up to 3 subsidies, with 1 or 2 being able to operate in a different home country?
> Passenger charges? Baggage costs, high cost = lower demand, low cost or free = higher demand, this could impact fuel costs and route profits. Ratio for passenger to bag, and weight could be shown on route overviews or finance pages, so that we can alter the chargers to suit the ideas of each user.
> Stop over? I’ve mentioned this in another forum, however combined with scheduling, stopover could be created without the need to rent gates, but instead when creating a route out of range, be required to choose the city you want to stop over for fuel at, then have the stop over charge factored into that route and the slot be rented in that way instead of leasing 25 slots for a few stop over’s per week?
> Taxes for airlines with older fleets? fuel efficiency to be stricter so that modernising fleet is a costly but necessary factor of the game?

Apologises for my very detailed response however i do hope some of my ideas to help saturate the grown of airlines without making things boring, are taken into consideration and i welcome any comments or feedback on the things I’ve brought up here, My recommendations are hopeful seen as a strong way of eliminating run-away profits and unrealistic growth and size of airlines.

Yuxi

Yuxi

AE Developer

• AE Developer
  • 4,365 posts

> Scheduling? Have a 1 week overview per aircraft (and for each route), when creating route be required to select the time slot on the aircraft’s schedule (table format?). Night departures at certain cities could be banned or cause additional costs? Per airport, slots could be another competition factor, with limits for how many flights can operate per hour which could help slow the pace some of the large airlines grow, giving new users a better experience. Demand model could represent demand for peak times and lower demand for night flights for different classes (Y-Class more popular for tourists on night flights? Flights to “business hubs” more popular at peak times?). The randomised “inconveniences” such as storms and unscheduled maintenance for unreliable aircraft would work great alongside a scheduling feature.

Timetabling requires major changes in the code and is planned for next summer.

> Option to open a subsidy of existing airline such as “City Flyer” or “Regional Express” operations, simply choose which “name” an aircraft flies under and be able to make logo and liveries for it, but to have the same home country restriction as parent airline, but for the statistics to collectively take subsidies into account. This could help reduce game world slots running out so fast? Alternatively, users only allowed one airline per game, then up to 3 subsidies, with 1 or 2 being able to operate in a different home country?

I need to look into this some more - subsidiaries might require major code changes, depending on the implementation. Added to "maybe" list for 3.1 for now. :)

> Passenger charges? Baggage costs, high cost = lower demand, low cost or free = higher demand, this could impact fuel costs and route profits. Ratio for passenger to bag, and weight could be shown on route overviews or finance pages, so that we can alter the chargers to suit the ideas of each user.

Planned for 3.1 :)

> Stop over? I’ve mentioned this in another forum, however combined with scheduling, stopover could be created without the need to rent gates, but instead when creating a route out of range, be required to choose the city you want to stop over for fuel at, then have the stop over charge factored into that route and the slot be rented in that way instead of leasing 25 slots for a few stop over’s per week?

I believe un1 is working on this for 3.1... ;)

> Taxes for airlines with older fleets? fuel efficiency to be stricter so that modernising fleet is a costly but necessary factor of the game?

Age will be a bigger factor in maintenance costs (the new cost vs. age graph will stay steady for the first 10 years and will slope up past that). Costs will increase even more if the model is out of production.

9M-TKS

9M-TKS

• 888 posts
While I agree maintainence costs should be increased for older aircraft, I don't see why the fuel consumption makes it unprofitable. If airlines around the world are still operating aircraft over 20 years old, I think it should also be is way in AE to make it realistic
Posted Image

Kirkland

Kirkland

AE King

• 1,504 posts
I like the new ideas , especially the close the airport idea. It would remind people to spread out your flights and not depend on one airport.

nWcLJH0.png

Britannia

Britannia

• 266 posts

uw_ting.png

joflo

joflo

• 32 posts
If the main aim of the next launch is to prevent to fast airline growth, then the main reason for this should be looked at: The unrealistic high demands for all routes.

For example, the route Frankfurt to JFK has a demand of 1,600 people every day. In reality, there are only about 1,200 economy seats every day on this route. And many of these seats are connecting passengers. Even more funny is the route Berlin-Longyearbyen (this small Norwegian island close to the north pole): 70 people every day!!! In reality, there are only one or two daily flights from this island, and both are to Tromso and/or Oslo. In other words: The demand on single routes has to drop drastically - thereby, the competition will become much harder and ticket prices more realistic. At the same time, the calculation of connecting passengers has to be done in a much better way, as otherwise there will be only a handful of routes left on which you can place a 747.

So, I suggest to put the more realistic demand calculation on the top of the list and combine it with a more realistic calculation of connecting passengers.

Britannia

Britannia

• 266 posts
if that happens the worlds should be a little smaller otherwise airports like LHR and JFK will get eaten quickly. I suggest lower profits to stop rapid growth

uw_ting.png

un1

un1

AE Developer

• AE Developer
  • 1,187 posts

User's Awards

2    3         

if that happens the worlds should be a little smaller otherwise airports like LHR and JFK will get eaten quickly. I suggest lower profits to stop rapid growth

I have a few tricks that I am willing to use to lower profits of airlines... while still being fair.

R6 - NSW Airlines

9M-TKS

9M-TKS

• 888 posts
How will forced bankruptcy work? Auto bankruptcy after a certain period of time being in debt?
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users