Photo

Advice for pilots

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

wintrop

wintrop

• 24 posts
I want to become a pilot and have no idea where to start, and if I am thinking it so must other on this site so.....

please share your information with us want to be pilots, specifily schools, costs, and landing first job requirements

lurch

lurch

Beta Tester

• 211 posts
  • Yahoo ID:lurch8584@yahoo.com

I want to become a pilot and have no idea where to start, and if I am thinking it so must other on this site so.....

please share your information with us want to be pilots, specifily schools, costs, and landing first job requirements

I went to the University of Dubuque, Dubuque, IA 52001 for my flight training. Currently they have majors in Flight Operations (Pilots) and Aviation Management. I would suggest getting another major or minor with the Flight Operations. This is just in case something comes up later down the road with your medical that prevents you from being able to pilot. I just graduated and currently majored in Flight Operations and Aviation Management. This option, I think, is the best way to go. Cost for flight has a lot of variables. Typically you can figure $6,000 per rating / license - Private Pilot, Instrument, Commercial, Multi-engine, etc. This is all an estimate however. It may be more or less. Training in the US tends to be a lot cheaper than anywhere else. Part 141 schools tend to be better than Part61 just because the hour requirement in the air is less. www.dbq.edu can give you more information on that particular school. It is a private school but the grants tend to be pretty good.

Chaostah

Chaostah

• 181 posts
If you go through college, you get a license and an education on aviation. That's what my friend is doing right now. I know for fact that Waterloo University here offers an aviation program and you actually get marked on your flying skills :P

tom14cat14

tom14cat14

• 17 posts
Get a degree in something other then aviation! Get your ratings on the side. If you can not hold a medical one day your degree will be useless. I went to University of North Dakota Great school but costs way to much. When you get your first job plan on making 18k-23k a year the first and then in the 30k range for awhile. At least a few years. It is rare that you upgrade with in 2 years. This means that you will have a hard time paying the bills. Right now you might not think that it will be that bad but take it from a FO and all of my buddies that are struggling. Get Your ratings and instruct for a few years and you will make it when this industry will hopefully be turning around.

wintrop

wintrop

• 24 posts
I have an A.A. in Manufactoring Managment, working on 2 more in Jouralism & Anthropology.

Then 2 bachlors in Manufactoring & Marketing with a minor in Anthropology

Followed by my MBA or a PHD in Anthropology depending on which schools I get into!

And I still want to fly planes even if it is just a private licence.

vidofnir

vidofnir

• 1 posts
Join the Military as an officer, specifically the Air Force or Navy. You can major in whatever in college, then pick up a flight slot on graduation. Even if you don't, it's a stable career and you can get your wings either way. If you DO, then they will give you all the training you need. When your commitment is up, go to the reserves and join the airlines. You now have two jobs where you get to fly and you didn't even pay anything except for time.

BritAbroad

BritAbroad

Moderator and Data Collector

• Data Manager
  • 1,677 posts

Join the Military as an officer, specifically the Air Force or Navy. You can major in whatever in college, then pick up a flight slot on graduation. Even if you don't, it's a stable career and you can get your wings either way. If you DO, then they will give you all the training you need. When your commitment is up, go to the reserves and join the airlines. You now have two jobs where you get to fly and you didn't even pay anything except for time.

I'm guessing that is in the US? Is that still the case now?
Its not like that in the UK any more. There's no recruitment to the forces anyway, and a lot of airlines don't have such a great preference for ex-military pilots. Nearly all commercial pilots in the UK self-fund their training, as far as I can tell.

sagsmall.png

MarkATC4N64

MarkATC4N64

AE Player

• 82 posts

I went to the air force and got an awosme job with great lakes aviation then southwest airlines
MarkATC4N64

n.x.w.m

n.x.w.m

taiwanball

• Data Collector
  • 2,061 posts

I'm guessing that is in the US? Is that still the case now? Its not like that in the UK any more. There's no recruitment to the forces anyway, and a lot of airlines don't have such a great preference for ex-military pilots. Nearly all commercial pilots in the UK self-fund their training, as far as I can tell.

Is there really a step-by-step guide to doing it? :D

cUDPatH.jpg

M4matthew

M4matthew

M4Matthew

• 673 posts

Is there really a step-by-step guide to doing it? :D

Nope, you've hit the nail on the head... you really don't want to hear my plans :giggle:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users