How to become a pilot

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

DiscoverFRA

DiscoverFRA

Long Time Member

• 296 posts
  • AIM Screen Name:simpleton21j
Okay I had a question, I live in the US and will be finished with high school in 2 years an I am dying to become and airline pilot :), and I was wondering were to start, I tried the AOPA and other buts, and I am confused. I trying to look for a scholarship or something I just don't where to go or where to start, your help would be greatly appreciated :shappy:,
Thanks!

travelhouse

travelhouse

AE Winner

• Veteran
  • 2,066 posts
  • WLM ID:travelhouse007@gmail.com

Okay I had a question, I live in the US and will be finished with high school in 2 years an I am dying to become and airline pilot :), and I was wondering were to start, I tried the AOPA and other buts, and I am confused. I trying to look for a scholarship or something I just don't where to go or where to start, your help would be greatly appreciated :shappy:,
Thanks!

There was a player some time back called (Salomon) PM him he pops in now and again, he has a scholorship and is near his end and getting his wings.

Salomon

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I'm a moderator, that's all.

Consult me for AE moderation issues.

flightsimer

flightsimer

Senior Member/Beta Tester

• 507 posts

User's Awards

2    2   
oh where to start... first find an airport near you that has a flight school. it is a good this to have your license before you start i have been told. ask them about schools in the area that offer classes. i have a local flight school, which happens to be the oldest in the country and a local community college that is ranked number 1 in the whole country. thats right, a community college most of the aviation colleges are very expensive and you really dont have to go to them to get the same training. but if i enroll at that college, then my local flight school gives me a 40% discount off of rentals, so you might find an airport/college that does that near you. i was asking about it at my flight school, but the airlines really dont care about school, they just want to know that you can learn. so you can major in anything, but they really like 4 yrs of college. now theres alot more to this but its a start...
CEO North Eastern Airways
22217 sim1- Boeing 747-100 LAUNCH CUSTOMER!
17904 sim2
BETA TESTER- #1 airline, only if it actually counted lol

Jet

Jet

OMGZ I LUUUUV AE!!!

• 518 posts
I want to join the Air force, learn everything their and continue onto the Airlines after that. when i retire I want to become an Air Traffic Controller;)

travelhouse

travelhouse

AE Winner

• Veteran
  • 2,066 posts
  • WLM ID:travelhouse007@gmail.com

I want to join the Air force, learn everything their and continue onto the Airlines after that. when i retire I want to become an Air Traffic Controller;)

Funny - let you in a little secret, my son was going to be exactly the ideas you said above.

Now he is attending Uni - Flyboy has flown out the window - IT Security is in line now, after that wants to become a journalist.

Not sure how old you are Jet, but come back to the forums in 5-years time and let's see where you end up.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I'm a moderator, that's all.

Consult me for AE moderation issues.

flightsimer

flightsimer

Senior Member/Beta Tester

• 507 posts

User's Awards

2    2   

well you would have to retire before age 26. you cant become a controller if your over 30. so you would need to go to college and then get the additional trainging to be fully operational...
CEO North Eastern Airways
22217 sim1- Boeing 747-100 LAUNCH CUSTOMER!
17904 sim2
BETA TESTER- #1 airline, only if it actually counted lol

Jet

Jet

OMGZ I LUUUUV AE!!!

• 518 posts

Funny - let you in a little secret, my son was going to be exactly the ideas you said above.

Now he is attending Uni - Flyboy has flown out the window - IT Security is in line now, after that wants to become a journalist.

Not sure how old you are Jet, but come back to the forums in 5-years time and let's see where you end up.

I am 13:airplane

Jet

Jet

OMGZ I LUUUUV AE!!!

• 518 posts

well you would have to retire before age 26. you cant become a controller if your over 30. so you would need to go to college and then get the additional trainging to be fully operational...

Oh Bugger:thumbdown:

drv4truk

drv4truk

AE Winner

• Veteran
  • 2,273 posts
True, but you can go the other way. From ATC to the cockpit is a big step and at that age you are going to be fighting for seniority with the younger pilots. You would have an advantage though as you know the system more then they would. One thing to mention though, take a look at the salaries. Believe it or not, controllers make more then pilots. :airforce: Also, if you had an AOPA membership, or you can get the 6 months free without it, you could get the AOPA Flight Training magazine. Before I switched to AOPA Pilot magazine, they had started running monthly columns for "Career Pilot".
Posted ImagePosted Image

jimnichols

jimnichols

Banned

• Banned
  • 9 posts
:puzzled: I am also finding answer for the same question but not got any relevant reply
so If u get any relevant reply please do suggest me also
awaiting for ur answer,,,,,,,,,:airplane

oakland limo service

767300ER

767300ER

• 18 posts
There are many ways to "Become a Pilot."

If you're just after a pilots license so you can fly as a hobby, then what you need to do is get yourself to an airfield and find a good flight school (preferably, one with good, credible CFI's with thousands of flight hours) and put your nose to the grind wheel, and dig in.

However, if your intentions are to make a Career out of flying, there are many ways to get there. First, try getting some other jb in the Aviation industry, to make sure it's for you. A lot of times, people will want to be a pilot, and then when they get into the environment, they decide it isn't for them. (I'm a ramper, and it drives me crazy that I'm not the one flying these beasts)
Undeniably, you'll need to go to college and get yourself some kind of Bachelors degree. That's what all the airlines like to see, so focus on that first. There are plenty of good Aviation colleges all over the world, it just takes some thorough researching, and a lot of the almighty dollar. After that, start focusing on building up hours, getting ratings and certificates and doing what it takes to get the the airline jobs.

My own plan goes something like this.
I've already got my Private Pilots License, Instrument and Multi-engine rating, as well as 233 flight hours logged, so I've got that much out of the way.
My next step, is college. I'm going to be moving in the next few months, and once I do, I'm going to enroll at a Technical College, and study Automotive Technology. Although the highest degree technical colleges offer is an Associates degree, what I'm doing is choosing a field that can be expanded on into a Bachelors at any university that teaches it. But I digress.
Upon getting my AS degree, I'm going to go to an Aviation Trade School. The one in particular that I plan to go to is ATP Flight School where I'll finish up collecting ratings and certifications, and take the Regional jets Standards test, so even with my sub-par hours, will be able to land a job in the right seat of an RJ.
As we all know, starting out as a Rookie pilot at any airline will get you very few hours, if any, and who knows how the Aviation industry will look once I'm there, but I'm not worried, because I'll still have that Automotive degree to fall back onto.

It really depends on the route you want to take. Look into every possibility, and Best of luck!
Remember, gravity is not just a good idea. It's the law. And it's not subject to repeal.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users