- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

doug_Or

doug_Or

AE Addict

• Veteran
  • 896 posts
Every round of AE has its share of cheaters abusing the used aircraft market. While the brazen seem to get their comeuppance, the sly and the small item offenders may get away with it. Further, with no real rules as to what is ok and inadequate real life profit motive (we're not playing with real $) there are major grey areas that can be exploited (alliance sales, gate sales, brokers) resulting in the players that operate most ethically being at a competitive disadvantage.

What if the used aircraft marketplace was run somewhat like a commodity market (or the stock market)? Players put in buy orders for a certain number and type of aircraft, and sellers could list aircraft, which would (if there was a buyer) be sold instantly. You couldn't choose who you sold to (always the high bidder), or who you bought from (whoever listed the aircraft that met your requirements first), making cheating much more difficult.

This wouldn't solve everything, and wouldn't work as well if aircraft age was reintroduced, but the system is pretty well broken right now. I'm not sure how practical it would be to code, but I'm interested in what people think of this idea.

drv4truk

drv4truk

AE Winner

• Veteran
  • 2,273 posts

This wouldn't solve everything, and wouldn't work as well if aircraft age was reintroduced, but the system is pretty well broken right now. I'm not sure how practical it would be to code, but I'm interested in what people think of this idea.

Maybe not broken, but definitely abused.
Posted ImagePosted Image

ian

ian

• 436 posts

Every round of AE has its share of cheaters abusing the used aircraft market. While the brazen seem to get their comeuppance, the sly and the small item offenders may get away with it. Further, with no real rules as to what is ok and inadequate real life profit motive (we're not playing with real $) there are major grey areas that can be exploited (alliance sales, gate sales, brokers) resulting in the players that operate most ethically being at a competitive disadvantage.

What if the used aircraft marketplace was run somewhat like a commodity market (or the stock market)? Players put in buy orders for a certain number and type of aircraft, and sellers could list aircraft, which would (if there was a buyer) be sold instantly. You couldn't choose who you sold to (always the high bidder), or who you bought from (whoever listed the aircraft that met your requirements first), making cheating much more difficult.

sounds like the competitor's "red game" is what i think its called here. i think its a good idea, but credit should be given where credit is due....i'd give aer solas credit for that one....

Timsher

Timsher

Just a ling

• 573 posts
  • WLM ID:Timsher@gmail.com
  • Yahoo ID:Timsher19
Would be easier to have a "middleman" broker program which you have to sell to and buy from. Make the prices variate on supply/demand automatically (much like the store in "M.U.L.E.").
Posted Image

doug_Or

doug_Or

AE Addict

• Veteran
  • 896 posts

sounds like the competitor's "red game" is what i think its called here. i think its a good idea, but credit should be given where credit is due....i'd give aer solas credit for that one....

If we're talking about the same game, then thats not really what I had in mind. I was thinking about something more anonymous, where you couldn't choose who you were doing business with.

Would be easier to have a "middleman" broker program which you have to sell to and buy from. Make the prices variate on supply/demand automatically (much like the store in "M.U.L.E.").

That sounds right up my alley. I'm not familiar with this so called "mule", what is it and how does it work? I'm particularly interested in the automated price variations as that is really my ultimate goal. The whole 50%-200% of a meaningless number that is currently used is the route of much of our current troubles.

ian

ian

• 436 posts

If we're talking about the same game, then thats not really what I had in mind. I was thinking about something more anonymous, where you couldn't choose who you were doing business with.

oh ok gotcha!

doug_Or

doug_Or

AE Addict

• Veteran
  • 896 posts

oh ok gotcha!

I'm thinking maybe you could put up a buy or sell order. People could view the lowest sell order and the highest buy order. If you wanted to sell you'd have to sell to the highest buy order and if you wanted to buy you'd have to buy the cheapest on the market.

ian

ian

• 436 posts

I'm thinking maybe you could put up a buy or sell order. People could view the lowest sell order and the highest buy order. If you wanted to sell you'd have to sell to the highest buy order and if you wanted to buy you'd have to buy the cheapest on the market.

gotcha, so exactly like stock trading as you mentioned earlier...don't know how hard that would be to script though.

miller22 (inactive)

miller22 (inactive)

AE Developer

• AE Developer
  • 607 posts
  • AIM Screen Name:AeProjectManager
Doug,

I'm very impressed with the idea. If I understand it correctly, the seller or buyer can't set their price, it'd be driven by the market. It's realistic and complex, but done correctly it could work. Better yet, a commodity-style system could be implemented to other buy/sell issues such as gates, and stock.

I've decided that AE is going to have to rely on its realism and users to be successful. I'm downright depressed after taking a stroll around the competition and seen just how nearly completely AE has been copied. What still sets us apart is the complexity, mainly of the only component that is our closest held secret, the sim2 load factor algorithms. I'm not yet satisfied with the algorithm, but I see we're leaps and strides ahead of anyone else in realism of that algorithm.

There.

I feel better. :P

StephenM

StephenM

• 987 posts
  • WLM ID:srkm@eircom.net

and seen just how nearly completely AE has been copied.

The original is nearly always best, I think that's why. :P
Aer Solas

travelhouse

travelhouse

AE Winner

• Veteran
  • 2,066 posts
  • WLM ID:travelhouse007@gmail.com

I'm downright depressed after taking a stroll around the competition and seen just how nearly completely AE has been copied.

Yes one can understand you would be wide-eyed looking.

See you created a game then vanished (Well thats what it looked like) so the Copy-Kats went on the their merry way with their own edition.

If I was you I would kick them out of your sim for stealing the image ground work you created.

(But I am not you)

miller22 (inactive)

miller22 (inactive)

AE Developer

• AE Developer
  • 607 posts

Yes one can understand you would be wide-eyed looking.

See you created a game then vanished (Well thats what it looked like) so the Copy-Kats went on the their merry way with their own edition.

If I was you I would kick them out of your sim for stealing the image ground work you created.

(But I am not you)

I said I was depressed, not pissed. The difference, I think, is that when you're depressed, you're more upset with yourself, and when you're pissed, you're upset with someone else. I'm depressed.

So, the answer is to start spreading around the work load. I've a laundry list of upgrades to the sim, but adding moderators to the game who can adjust any given players stats is going to have to be done. I just don't have the time to respond to 50 messages a day about how someone is cheating and would I check them out, and load factor issues, and lost aircraft. I'll leave that to the moderators, who've already done a fantastic job.

All in all, AE needs to be run by its users, and I'll focus on building it.

Banjo Air

Banjo Air

• 26 posts

I've decided that AE is going to have to rely on its realism and users to be successful. I'm downright depressed after taking a stroll around the competition and seen just how nearly completely AE has been copied. What still sets us apart is the complexity, mainly of the only component that is our closest held secret, the sim2 load factor algorithms. I'm not yet satisfied with the algorithm, but I see we're leaps and strides ahead of anyone else in realism of that algorithm.

:saint:Though... nobody here knocked off any of them in any way :saint: *coughs 1946*

It's kind of hard not to have commonalities... i mean. planes, routes, airports... all kinda basic "airline sim" stuff.

In the end, imitation is the highest form of flattery. whichever way it's going.

miller22 (inactive)

miller22 (inactive)

AE Developer

• AE Developer
  • 607 posts
Actually 1946 was entirely original (at least to the online community), and if you think about it, it makes sense that several others would do that as well. Its the first year after the war was over, and the effective beginning of the airline industry.

To be perfectly honest, I got the 1946 idea from Airbucks, which is where AE found its beginnings. Like several others, Airbucks starts in 1946 with a DC-3. I've been playing it quite a bit recently and it reminded me how much fun it was to do business in a time of enormous technological advancements. So I spent some spare time updating the database, and updating the game for it was rather simple.

I just learned about the other's yesterday.

travelhouse

travelhouse

AE Winner

• Veteran
  • 2,066 posts
  • WLM ID:travelhouse007@gmail.com

I said I was depressed, not pissed. The difference, I think, is that when you're depressed, you're more upset with yourself, and when you're pissed, you're upset with someone else. I'm depressed.

So, the answer is to start spreading around the work load. I've a laundry list of upgrades to the sim, but adding moderators to the game who can adjust any given players stats is going to have to be done. I just don't have the time to respond to 50 messages a day about how someone is cheating and would I check them out, and load factor issues, and lost aircraft. I'll leave that to the moderators, who've already done a fantastic job.

All in all, AE needs to be run by its users, and I'll focus on building it.

Courtney, when I also took a walk into the WWW to locate those you have seen, I also was (Shocked) but a little upset to be more the point that a (Springboard) type game should be started on the good efforts you have placed in.

However, after thinking about it, I can understand that why these newbies started as they want to keep a game be it this original AE or a new one alive.

Guess you caused it in a little way with the lack of attendance at vital stages of the Cheating / Gates and other multi-accounts that was happening, but thats the past (Whats done is done and unable to undone)so let's all march on.......

Keep the AE Dream Alive and this re-birth will grow in time.

Good to see you understand the importance of a TEAM effort, as there are many a good (Programmer / Moderators / Super-Snoopers and others within the AE community.

Just hope on who you select, will be 100% Honest and have your goodness at the forefront when taking on any chores you may offer.

:P

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users