• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

dianemather

dianemather

Veteran

• 72 posts

User's Awards

2    2    3         
Before you all shoot me down, I know nothing about programing.

That said would it be a good idea if each time there was a reset all city information was changed so that at each start city populations etc would be random.
This would slow down the rapid growth of the "big boys" as everyone would need to learn all over again.
Also random month changes to allow different time zones access to the gates.

Just a thought.

drv4truk

drv4truk

AE Winner

• Veteran
  • 2,273 posts
No. That wouldn't fly. Instead of random changes in demand, why not make every single one of them equal. That way there are no cities that have a low demand. I'm guessing this would help make the LF script much easier to write and process with all being equal.

As for month change, being random certainly wouldn't help players figure out when to order aircraft or when to get gates. Why not instead, have a 30 day month. This way at least everyone would know when the month change is and would end up changing back to its original position every 4 AE months.
Posted ImagePosted Image

dianemather

dianemather

Veteran

• 72 posts

User's Awards

2    2    3         
Even better and I would assume easier to implement. Way to go K.

Africaspotter

Africaspotter

Mr McCool

• 323 posts
  • Skype Name:Africaspotter

No. That wouldn't fly. Instead of random changes in demand, why not make every single one of them equal. That way there are no cities that have a low demand.

Trying to get more realism into the game? :sdrool:

Cheers,

Felix
Voyage (13814) ... Number one airline.

The Number 1-Travel-Wiki at http://www.wikivoyage.org

buduku83

buduku83

• 30 posts

As for month change, being random certainly wouldn't help players figure out when to order aircraft or when to get gates. Why not instead, have a 30 day month. This way at least everyone would know when the month change is and would end up changing back to its original position every 4 AE months.

The 30-day month would be great, as we could here from Europe grab some of the free gates available at 4.00AM (3.00AM GMT):P !!!!!!
Buduku83
CEO of European International Airlines

Posted Image

ID 11709
Played rounds: 3
Highest position ever: 36th (Current round)

Fleet before ceasing operations:
20 x Airbus A330-300 (11 available)
11 x Boeing B737-900 (11 available)
12 x Airbus A319-100 (12 available)
1 x Embraer ERJ 145ER (1 available)
13 x Saab 2000 (13 available)
3 x Beech 1900D (0 available)
On order: 3 x Airbus A330-300 (Will be for sale as well)

dianemather

dianemather

Veteran

• 72 posts

User's Awards

2    2    3         
What if the gates were dealt with in the same way the aircraft are ie:
you could only buy xxxx number of gates a month and you could buy and sell gates on the used market? This would stop the LGA-JFK-EWR type gate senerio.

Africaspotter

Africaspotter

Mr McCool

• 323 posts
Buying and selling gates at airport is not very common in real life (I know it happens though), therefore implementing a used market would make it a business of its own, making the game more unrealistic (I know, I know, some of us do kinds of gate brokering...). This would fit in the game, unless you could establish kind of holdings like in other games (no names here), where you can establish a ground handling company or offer airport services.

Cheers,

Felix

watchdog

watchdog

Senior AE Manager

• 534 posts

What if the gates were dealt with in the same way the aircraft are ie:
you could only buy xxxx number of gates a month and you could buy and sell gates on the used market? This would stop the LGA-JFK-EWR type gate senerio.

idea has merit & should now be a comment from miller / TW as it as you do say stop the dry up of gates if a cap limit was placed to be given at change over months
Posted Image

dianemather

dianemather

Veteran

• 72 posts

User's Awards

2    2    3         
Smart dog :P

doug_Or

doug_Or

AE Addict

• Veteran
  • 896 posts
I like the gate cap idea. The problem I see is that setting the cap high enough to allow large airlines to but their a/c on routes would also allow small airlines to buy more gates than they really needed. The end result might be that these small airlines would make more money selling gates than running their airline. The problem here is that unlike a/c brokers, gate brokers would deal in a finite resource, so you might end up with the same gate gobbeling, just by diffrent people.

I would be interested to see what would happen if there were infinite gates.

dianemather

dianemather

Veteran

• 72 posts

User's Awards

2    2    3         
Good point - the idea of unlimited gates is interesting.

By only allowing xxxx number of gates per month you would definately stop the 30 gates in LGA-EWR filled by J31's for future growth senerio which would allow smaller less knowledgeable airlines an opportunity to learn and grow.

By adding PSA's idea of all cities are equal you have eliminated gate hogging, $0 fares and a host of other "evils"

Africaspotter

Africaspotter

Mr McCool

• 323 posts

I like the gate cap idea. The problem I see is that setting the cap high enough to allow large airlines to but their a/c on routes would also allow small airlines to buy more gates than they really needed. The end result might be that these small airlines would make more money selling gates than running their airline. The problem here is that unlike a/c brokers, gate brokers would deal in a finite resource, so you might end up with the same gate gobbeling, just by diffrent people.

I would be interested to see what would happen if there were infinite gates.

Just what I was thinking.

Felix

Lm1i

Lm1i

LMA

• 9 posts
infinite airlines will not solve the problem, it will just make it very annoying to play since it will not force people to look for inventive routes.

theres a couple of ideas i like that have been said before, i like the cap on gates at an airport at a time (like say 5 an AE month), i like the cut a say year 3, were only top 250 get through, and then another at year 6 were only the top 125 airlines get through, as for those that get cut, well either start a second game after each cut (max of three games at a time) or just wait till the end. More airports will help a lot. But the most interesting idea is some sort of randomizer, every round different airports change demand and stuff, where maybe the big airports like JFK and heathrow become small and they keep rotating, sure the realism might drop but the game will be a lot more fun, since it will force you to jump around the world until u find the big airports

Oh yeah, and add CLO to the list of wanted airports

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users