Photo

Pay to Play

- - - - -

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
80 replies to this topic

Fredways

Fredways

• 90 posts
You know what, to be perfectly honest.....

I'd pay $5 a month to play this game. It's worth that much in amusement. Provide the current, more basic, format for free. Provide the improved version to those of us who would pay. I think most of the long-term players here would pay some sort of fee. Provide more cities, the better options. Keep some avenue of the game gratis so people can whet their appetite. Then charge them for the entree.

At the very least, it'd keep the children out as realistically revenue could only be collected electronically (i.e. credit card through some sort of collection like Paypal). Paypal doesn't accept allowance money paid in quarters and shiny special dollar coins.

I think a pay version would lower the stress; keep it to those who are serious about it and more about strategizing and learning something than just playing along having fun seeing how much aggravation one may cause.

The money could help pay for bandwidth, server improvements, and a little bit of Miller's time.
Or, at the very least, it can pay for Nathaniel's therapy. The long sessions with his 5th grade guidance counselor don't seem to be working.

piercey

piercey

I heart Embraer!

• 1,375 posts
  • Yahoo ID:pierceyohio@sbcglobal.net
Great idea, except... I'M FLAT BROKE!!! Listen, miller, you make a great game, but I don't have an allowance, I'm not old enough to get a job, and I LOVE THIS GAME!!! KEEP IT FREE!!:cool:

Fredways

Fredways

• 90 posts

Originally posted by piercey
Great idea, except... I'M FLAT BROKE!!! Listen, miller, you make a great game, but I don't have an allowance, I'm not old enough to get a job, and I LOVE THIS GAME!!! KEEP IT FREE!!:cool:

You'll note I suggest keeping the current version free.
Miller is working on some significant improvements. I just suggest providing them to those who wish to pay. You can keep your overcrowded unrealistic free competition. Real airline industry is an oligopoly and pricing discretion hasn't been completely lost as it has here.

jaxdtw2196

jaxdtw2196

• 15 posts
  • AIM Screen Name:nwaA330
I agree with this post wholeheartedly. For those of us who are serious about strategizing and playing this game like its meant to be played, in a more real-world setting, instead of running 92 Beech 1900D's between places like Charleston, SC and Jacksonville, FL.

I would gladly pay-to-play this game in its current format but would advocate adding more features as time progresses for the paying players. I believe Skyscrapers.com has a similar setup. You can access some of their features for free, and its still quite comprehensive, but if you want to use everything, youve gotta pay. I believe airlineempires should be that way too.

Oh, and also, keep these two "leagues" separate. For those of us who are actually IN the field of aviation seriously, these 14 year old armchair CEO's who saturate markets like ATL-MCO because they flew Delta there once with mickey mouse ears on, really piss us off. Having 4000 seats a day travelling between some of these cities is just rediculous. In real life, NOBODY would do that.

Again, I would CERTAINLY pay to play a more civilised, real-world, DOWN-TO-EARTH, educated, strategy-first-screwing-people-second, version of this fantastic simulation.

JAXDTW2196, Chairman
Air Florida System Inc.

miller22 (inactive)

miller22 (inactive)

AE Developer

• AE Developer
  • 607 posts
  • AIM Screen Name:AeProjectManager
This hasn't been mentioned before, but we're considering a pay for play version in addition to the current version to limit the cheating problem. Not much planning past that has been planned.

Sargas

Sargas

• 66 posts
I agree that with a little improvement I would almost definitely pay for this game :(

(dont get me wrong though, I do love the game as it is for the most part the same as Fredways mentioned :( The improvements I mean would be be user support etc )

sfgiants13

sfgiants13

• 10 posts
Easy on the 14 year olds guys. I am a year above that, but you don't see me saturating the game with ATL-MCO because I flew there once. Some of us are serious into the field of aviation. Just because we are young doesn't mean we can't be serious. But I am assuming you are not talking to the whole "young gun" population, so I'll leave it at that. Some of my routes are based on real life flights I've had, and they are normal set prices like any other airline. But yes, I do agree. I would pay $5 a month for this. This is how you can seperate the worlds. Paying, and non paying. That would really lessen the stress for the players that are not just doing this to piss people off with $1 routes.

Edit: Typos

[Edited on 6/23/2005 by sfgiants13]

jaxdtw2196

jaxdtw2196

• 15 posts
Miller, thank you for responding. Fredways and myself thank you and would like to offer any support we can in furthering this cause. Please feel free to call on us if you need any assistance.

Thank you,
Bob "Crandall" Mickiewicz
Chairman
Air Florida System Inc.

Fredways

Fredways

• 90 posts

Doesn't sound like that's my problem. We all have choices and wants in life. I'd like to join the Epping Forest Yacht Club and have my evening drink in a leather high back chair overlooking the St. Johns. I can't afford that, so I'm stuck with a screwdriver in a plastic cup in the US Airways Club in Pittsburgh airport. We can't all get what we want for free. We learn to deal with it. It's called maturity.

[Edited on 6/23/2005 by Fredways]

miller22 (inactive)

miller22 (inactive)

AE Developer

• AE Developer
  • 607 posts

Originally posted by jaxdtw2196

Thank you,
Bob "Crandall" Mickiewicz
Chairman
Air Florida System Inc.

I love the nickname!

miller22 (inactive)

miller22 (inactive)

AE Developer

• AE Developer
  • 607 posts
I want to make it clear that there will always be a free version of Airline Empires.

piercey

piercey

I heart Embraer!

• 1,375 posts

Originally posted by sfgiants13
Easy on the 14 year olds guys. I am a year above that, but you don't see me saturating the game with ATL-MCO because I flew there once. Some of us are serious into the field of aviation. Just because we are young doesn't mean we can't be serious. But I am assuming you are not talking to the whole "young gun" population, so I'll leave it at that. Some of my routes are based on real life flights I've had, and they are normal set prices like any other airline. But yes, I do agree. I would pay $5 a month for this. This is how you can seperate the worlds. Paying, and non paying. That would really lessen the stress for the players that are not just doing this to piss people off with $1 routes.

Edit: Typos

[Edited on 6/23/2005 by sfgiants13]

Thank you!!:(

jaxdtw2196

jaxdtw2196

• 15 posts
Well Im sorry if I made you mad, but thats business, pal.

You kiddies play it your way and mess us all up.

Oh and "Business standpoint"?? How many aviation management classes have YOU taken at the university level? How many internships have YOU had? You probably travel once a year with mommy and daddy.

Dont mess with me pal. Dont even try it.

Bob "Six" Mickiewicz
Chairman
Air Florida System Inc.

piercey

piercey

I heart Embraer!

• 1,375 posts

Originally posted by jaxdtw2196
Well Im sorry if I made you mad, but thats business, pal.

You kiddies play it your way and mess us all up.

Oh and "Business standpoint"?? How many aviation management classes have YOU taken at the university level? How many internships have YOU had? You probably travel once a year with mommy and daddy.

Dont mess with me pal. Dont even try it.

Bob "Six" Mickiewicz
Chairman
Air Florida System Inc.

I mean I don't put prices at $1, and sorrrrrrry about the fact I ruin the game for you, Mr. I have a million scholarships and can kick your a** yet not in top 10!!!:mad:

miller22 (inactive)

miller22 (inactive)

AE Developer

• AE Developer
  • 607 posts
Oooohhhh, so this is how these threads deteriorate into shouting matches...

Fredways

Fredways

• 90 posts

I mean I don't put prices at $1, and sorrrrrrry about the fact I ruin the game for you, Mr. I have a million scholarships and can kick your a** yet not in top 10!!!:mad:

Strategizing is more important than simple revenue. It's about long term, not short-term. Small corrections for the long haul. Even this game is somewhat cyclical. A solid foundation is more important.

Some of us chose not to launder aircraft, money, or cheat. I think a comparison of the current rankings to those of previous iterations makes the case for what is going on, though a pay for play version would eliminate much of this.

Edited to add: You'd fail miserably in any professional business simulations. I can guarantee it.

piercey

piercey

I heart Embraer!

• 1,375 posts
I stand corrected, there are people dumber than Nathaniel.:(

jaxdtw2196

jaxdtw2196

• 15 posts
Ive often wondered how some of these airlines grew to an immense size, yet started at the same point as I.. Perhaps it was a little thing called cheating?? Ever "launder" an airplane?

Anyway, I dont have time for your little childish rants. Youve successfully proved my point for me buddy.. My work is done.

Miller, please consider our suggestion wholeheartedly. Just think of the extra money that you could use to pay for some of this. Who knows, you might garner some publicity for having an honest-to-goodness real aviation management sim, being run by competent people who dont have childish rants and screams like this baby boy piercey here.

Oh and if I notice any airlines coming on my routes and trying any funny business like 2 dollar fares, I'll raise holy hell.. so dont even try it buddy.

sfgiants13

sfgiants13

• 10 posts
Sigh. Can't we all just get along and play Airline Empires together?:(

piercey

piercey

I heart Embraer!

• 1,375 posts

Originally posted by Fredways

Strategizing is more important than simple revenue. It's about long term, not short-term. Small corrections for the long haul. Even this game is somewhat cyclical. A solid foundation is more important.

Some of us chose not to launder aircraft, money, or cheat. I think a comparison of the current rankings to those of previous iterations makes the case for what is going on, though a pay for play version would eliminate much of this.

Edited to add: You'd fail miserably in any professional business simulations. I can guarantee it.

Please show where Embre Air has been shown to cheat.:mad: and I do well in other simulators, and I don't mean Airline Tycoon!!!:mad:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users