Photo

Can the TU-144D be profitable?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

SushiFanta

SushiFanta

• 9 posts

I am running a russian airline and thought it would be cool to run the TU-144 like aeroflot did. Problem is, I can't find any routes that are profitable, and the maintenance costs are insane (I wish they told you that before you bought one). I just got my first delivery and have 6 more on order. Should I just take the $120 million hit and forfeit my down payments?

Screenshot_2020-12-15_102813.png 

SushiFanta

SushiFanta

• 9 posts

Just cancelled my orders. I still have one left, on a 10 year lease with a $171 million termination fee. **** me.

SushiFanta

SushiFanta

• 9 posts

image.png

this is fine  :)

G00SE

G00SE

• 7 posts

I did an airline out of Moscow once, that flew almost exclusively to places in the former USSR just for laughs and giggles and after having a bunch of liquidity, I leased a truckload of TU-144's, running them between All Three of Moscow's Airports to Eastern European regions. Not very long flights, limited competition, and a cheap tactic I use for my IFS which gets me an additional $200 or so per seat (I mainly use that so I don't have to worry about being shut down by spamlines or so I can do little cittyhopper flights that would otherwise not be possible to make a profit with) kept me out of the red. It's the only time I've gone all in on Supersonic, though I've been thinking of trying again.

Maple_MK

Maple_MK

Novice Livery Designer

• 171 posts

User's Awards

To be fair, this is what you get for thinking supersonic airliners make any sense.

KINGXyro

KINGXyro

OMGZ I LUUUUV AE!!!

• 579 posts

I had someone on an old game world take hold of 20 of these babies, he ended up terminating lease of those two game months later lmao

LFP

LFP

• 9 posts

User's Awards

Buying the plane and selling it back to market tends to be significantly cheaper than cancelling the lease outright if you have the money. 

First / Business class seating is how I managed to make Concorde viable (ie. not losing money I guess), and not having any First / Business seats on most of my routes helped.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users