Slots Instead of Gates

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

5280_Av8r

5280_Av8r

• 265 posts

User's Awards

I was thinking because some airports have just a single gate that it's a race to whoever get's there first if anyone does. What if instead of leasing gates, we went to a slot system which is honestly closer to real life. This way an airport with fewer gates, especially ones with only 1 gate can get more flights and more competition. One airline could lease a single gate which is 50 slots right now but only use <=7 of those slots. Or even an airport with 3 gates could have 3 different airlines flying there, but again using less than 7 slots of their total 50. You could even apply this to international routes where a lot of the time an airline may only have 1 gate but uses 7 or fewer slots. Based on this, I think moving to a slot-lease system would be better than a gate-lease system. 

This also brings the idea of gate sharing either by alliance partners or just through common use airport gates. Maybe there could be a hybrid system where if an airport has more than X number of gates, airlines can lease the gates for themselves with while keeping an X' number of gates reserved for common use and then for airports with less than X number of gates, all their gates are common use and shared among all airlines flying to the airport. 

Maple_MK

Maple_MK

Novice Livery Designer

• 171 posts

User's Awards

I agree. The gate-lease system wastes a lot of slots, and so it kind of ruins the point of having an entire gate all to yourself.

The gate sharing by alliance partners also seems like a good idea.

merni

merni

sporadic player

• 16 posts

This seems like a great idea. Perhaps there could be some discount if you lease more slots, too.

Japantitan/MW744

Japantitan/MW744

Proud Owner Of Kingdom Airlines

• 151 posts

This is a good idea but I have a feeling it would be difficult to implement and maybe that is the reason why we have gate leasing instead of slot leasing. I would like to see this though if its possible to change without it having too much of an adverse affect on the system.

Air Maple, your gateway to the North. / AirToronto, from A to YTZ.

TNT88

TNT88

Hates Pedo

• 3,458 posts

User's Awards

2    14       71      

It's really difficult to implement. Because slots used timetable to operate. AE doesn't have those timetable system, this would add lots of complexity and it would take lots of resources to implement in the game.

RJM

RJM

AE Know It All

• 146 posts

User's Awards

17    2    8   

Similar to your thought, I have always thought that plane stands should be implemented in the game instead of gates. Only thing is the stands would cause a slight hit in reputation. 

I think slots could easily work though based on say 70% rule. Airport has 10 gates, 7 for full gate rental and other 3 are slotted. so if game is 50 slots a gate then 150 slots. 

I have always thought that 50 slots/week/gate was low too. 

RJM

kellykeli

kellykeli

trumpet go doot

• 99 posts

User's Awards

2    2       2      

Similar to your thought, I have always thought that plane stands should be implemented in the game instead of gates. Only thing is the stands would cause a slight hit in reputation. 

I think slots could easily work though based on say 70% rule. Airport has 10 gates, 7 for full gate rental and other 3 are slotted. so if game is 50 slots a gate then 150 slots. 

I have always thought that 50 slots/week/gate was low too. 

24 * 7 = 168 hours in a week. 50 slots/week/gate = 3.36 hours for a turnaround. That works for 747's and A380's, not so much for literally any other type of aircraft. I think that the gates should be changed to where each gate nets a certain number of hours per week instead of slots per week, and each flight takes up hours from a gate depending on an aircraft's turnaround time, being that a 747 would take up more hours than a CRJ200.

Although that's not how runways work irl and the gate slots are probably somehow related to the number of landing slots available at the airport.

B757-200 best plane you can't change my mind

5280_Av8r

5280_Av8r

• 265 posts

User's Awards

24 * 7 = 168 hours in a week. 50 slots/week/gate = 3.36 hours for a turnaround. That works for 747's and A380's, not so much for literally any other type of aircraft. I think that the gates should be changed to where each gate nets a certain number of hours per week instead of slots per week, and each flight takes up hours from a gate depending on an aircraft's turnaround time, being that a 747 would take up more hours than a CRJ200.

Although that's not how runways work irl and the gate slots are probably somehow related to the number of landing slots available at the airport.

It's really difficult to implement. Because slots used timetable to operate. AE doesn't have those timetable system, this would add lots of complexity and it would take lots of resources to implement in the game.

I was thinking less time based and more just the slots like we get 50 slots a gate, so instead of leasing one gate for 50 slots, you just lease the slots. It's still not super realistic but I don't think this game could every fully replicate the real world. But maybe the time based system could work because airplanes have 140 hours to use, so maybe it could be a similar system with the gates/slots. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users