Photo

Changes to the Airline Map Display (Updated)

* * * * * 2 votes

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

Yuxi

Yuxi

AE Developer

• AE Developer
  • 4,362 posts

Today, we rolled out several changes to how airline maps are displayed in the game:

1) New functionality added to the OpenStreetMap view

Some time ago, we added OpenStreetMap (OSM) as an option for displaying airline maps on the Airline Details screen, but compared to the Google Maps view it had some limitations. We have made the following enhancements to the OSM map view:

• Place names: Previously, the map displayed place names in native languages only. While this added a touch of authenticity, it was not easy to use for the majority of our players. We have enhanced the map to display place names in both native and English versions.
  • Full-screen view: The map can now be expanded to full screen mode using the new control below the zoom buttons on the upper left.
  • Filtering routes: The OSM map view did not support the ability to filter routes by hub. We have now added the ability to filter routes by all airports, not just hubs.
  • Panning: the map area was previously limited to a small range and made it difficult to view transpacific routes. The map now allows panning across 720 degrees of longitude so you can get a good view of your route network no matter where your airline is based.

Update: The route filtering and extended panning features are no longer available due to performance limitations.

osm-map-nrt.png

2) Google Maps no longer available

While we realize some of you may still prefer to use Google Maps, the service has become financially unsustainable. Now that we have improved the functionality of the OSM map view to match and even exceed that of the Google Maps view, we have decided to retire the Google Maps option. Everyone who previously had Google Maps configured in their settings will now have OpenStreetMap set as the default.

Note that this change affects airline route maps only; alliance route maps will stay on Google Maps for the time being and may be replaced at a future date.

If you encounter any technical issues with the new OpenStreetMap view, please post a reply to this thread with relevant screenshots and reproduction steps.

Pacific

Pacific

• 1,013 posts

User's Awards

2       2      

This feature adds an extra dimension to griefing, which is the name of this game. You can completely target a specific airline's routes easily this way. A small, but invaluable update!

qRn0iGD.png

Airboss777

Airboss777

Just don't mess with me

• 564 posts

User's Awards

14    19    9    2   

Yuxi Lives! 

And everyone said he was just a myth or the game had been abandoned & was basically running on autopilot.

Welcome back mate!

Bradimir

Bradimir

Missing?

• 715 posts

User's Awards

neat

unknown.pngEstablished Oct. 2012

#GOSTROS

Speed Bird

Speed Bird

AE Addict

• 866 posts

User's Awards

Don't know if it's just me, but the OSM maps seem extremely laggy to the extent it's basically unusable. On the MacBook the airline summary page is exceptionally slow and navigating the new route map is impossible. Meanwhile I also tried it on the iPhone and it consistently reloads the page whenever you attempt to interact with the route map.

Denver.

Denver.

Retired AE Comrade

• 2,042 posts

*sees AE4 in the distance*

u2r8weo.jpg

Founder of National | Founder of Golden | Judge at National Awards 2016 | Member at SkyRoutes Alliance | Member of Universal Alliance | Member of The SkyWorld Alliance | 

LockheedTristar

LockheedTristar

Trijets

• 285 posts

User's Awards

It runs horribly on google chrome macos catalina, basically crashes the page

qere_airline

qere_airline

• 4 posts

Don't know if it's just me, but the OSM maps seem extremely laggy to the extent it's basically unusable. On the MacBook the airline summary page is exceptionally slow and navigating the new route map is impossible. Meanwhile I also tried it on the iPhone and it consistently reloads the page whenever you attempt to interact with the route map.

Same, so laggy. I can't even look at the "Airline Details" anymore, half of the page is blank. When I scroll, it does weird things. I loved Google Maps. Even thogh they won't bring back Google Maps, I hope this gets fixed.

Edit: "My Route Map" is laggy too, on "Airport Details" there is no map shown.

Edited by qere_airline, 25 April 2020 - 03:50 PM.

DL727

DL727

Blue Horseshoe loves Blue Star Airlines, Got it?

• 42 posts

While I do welcome the new map and it looks great, it does appear to be a bit glitchy. I'm sure with a little tweaking it can be worked out. :)

After clicking anywhere on the map and trying to go to another page, everything I mouse over whites out. https://imgur.com/myQjhYn

Awesome to see some new development going on, keep up the good work! 

OckeDocke

OckeDocke

• 7 posts

It's laggy, sometimes it doesn't load at all, and if it does I get giant white squares on parts of my screen when I try to click on something, just like DL727. Not just on the map either. Everything clickable on the screen is affected.

Switching to GCM doesn't help either as that just gives me an error message.  :/

Yuxi

Yuxi

AE Developer

• AE Developer
  • 4,362 posts

The slowness and crashing on large route maps should now be fixed on both desktop and mobile browsers.

However, this was only achievable by removing the route filtering checkboxes and ability to pan beyond a 360-degree range. I apologize for pulling back these features but this is the best solution we have in the short term.

AntKart

AntKart

• 5 posts

User's Awards

The route filter by Hub was the only way to manage the amount of routes I was trying to establish. Is there any other tool to recover that feature?

FlyEvans

FlyEvans

Little boy from New Hampshire

• 122 posts

Well there goes my time playing this game since I cant use the google maps anymore and have to use this horrendous map

Mr. Aviation Nerd :)

TNARS

TNARS

AE Know It All

• 206 posts

Is there any way to implement back the 720 degree map? The default map now is very awkward and only works if the airline is based in western europe or western africa

Polaris_Signature_Template-WHITE.png

j___duran

j___duran

United Airlines 787 Dreamliner

• 26 posts

User's Awards

4    4      

Not a fan not gonna' lie... I need the ability to filter hubs. I cant zoom in much farther than ~1000 miles (give or take) to have a HNL-GUM route I have to move ALL THE WAY across the map. Is there other options? Perhaps the catalyst for AE4 ?!?  O_O  :D

Mega Blessings!!!

Joshua D. Durán

United Airlines- Inflight Services- DENSW

Sith Lord Ssempa

Sith Lord Ssempa

AE Player

• 28 posts

User's Awards

I miss the good old google maps, while the new one looks neat I struggle to see small details (on the overview), making regional airlines a pain. 

Also, one potentially dumb question: why did you cancel out the last two modifications? I thought they worked well and I enjoyed filtering the routes (one idea: if you do re-open the roue-selection functionality can you make it so only one end of the route has to be selected for the route to show up? Not important, just a nice-to have thing). 

My game recently started allowing me to upload PNG for the liveries - this is really useful, thanks a lot for this! 

Also, lovely that you are back and that this game is seeing new development again! 

Sith Lord Ssempa

Sith Lord Ssempa

AE Player

• 28 posts

User's Awards

One more potential issue, for me alliance maps can take 3+ minutes to load or not load at all (preventing me to get reputation points for that), is there anything that I can do about this?

OckeDocke

OckeDocke

• 7 posts

Also, one potentially dumb question: why did you cancel out the last two modifications?

It caused the game to lag and crash for some players:

The slowness and crashing on large route maps should now be fixed on both desktop and mobile browsers.

However, this was only achievable by removing the route filtering checkboxes and ability to pan beyond a 360-degree range. I apologize for pulling back these features but this is the best solution we have in the short term.

joleary

joleary

• 1 posts

User's Awards

4    5   

OpenStreet or Google or whatever....without the ability to filter, these maps are useless to me :(

zipp

zipp

POLARIS ALLIANCE #1 FAN

• 3,340 posts

User's Awards

OpenStreet or Google or whatever....without the ability to filter, these maps are useless to me :(

you could always quit

GcveK9y.png

f5RRaJZ.png

I want my gays illegal and my racism married

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users