Photo

When fleet commonality stinks

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

whowey

whowey

• 260 posts
When does fleet commonality stink?

When your an avation buff, booking flights for a business trip.

I know that airlines do it for economic reasons, but damnit I'm trying to book flights on stuff I haven't flown before. It feels like I can almost find my seat in a CRJ without opening my eyes. I don't even have to look up where the exit/bulkhead rows are at.
Posted ImageMember of the Posted Image ID: 11893
Owned: A bunch of aircraft

StephenM

StephenM

• 987 posts
  • WLM ID:srkm@eircom.net
CRJ's are like gold dust in Ireland/UK. British Airways operate a few EMB145's aswell as BMI Regional but not on routes that I would ever travel on.

What about airlines like Aer Lingus that dont operate anything smaller than a 174 seater! :P
Aer Solas

TorqueWrench

TorqueWrench

AE Luver

• Veteran
  • 446 posts
Or Virgin Atlantic who dont operate anything smaller than 300 seats...
I realised I was dyslexic when I went to a toga party dressed as a goat.

I saw that show, 50 Things To Do Before You Die. I would have thought the obvious one was "Shout For Help"

Cats have nine lives. Which makes them ideal for experimentation.

sawilson1971

sawilson1971

• 133 posts
Being UK based I was delighted to find I was flying on a Comair CRJ from Orlando to New Orleans. Its was my one and only timeon a CRJ so far. They are far comfier than the ERJ145. So they may be a repatative bore to you guys in the USA but in the UK we only really see Lufthansas' CRJs on a regular basis.

Regards

Steve
Brokering in sim1

User ID 9729

StephenM

StephenM

• 987 posts
I dont think we get CRJ's or EMB's into Ireland... I remember BMI Regional operated Glasgow - Knock for a short period, that was supposed to be an EMB145. But they did'nt bother to advertise that route I only heard about it after they closed it and wondered why there was no traffic...
Aer Solas

Alex_Stankevitch

Alex_Stankevitch

• 379 posts

CRJ's are like gold dust in Ireland/UK. British Airways operate a few EMB145's aswell as BMI Regional but not on routes that I would ever travel on.

What about airlines like Aer Lingus that dont operate anything smaller than a 174 seater! :P

Well I did once see a CRJ-200 in the old Ansett colours (minus the titles) at Manchester around April/May time.

Anyone see it?
Posted Image
ID:10979

Our Stats

StephenM

StephenM

• 987 posts
Duo airlines had them when they were about I think.
Aer Solas

whowey

whowey

• 260 posts
Honestly, you guys aren't making me feel one bit better.

The flight lines at ORD are filled with CRJ's, A320's and B737(At least the domestic lines). I very rarely even see a TP there, and all the really cool large stuff is over at Terminal 5(international). I will probably get to check out a Polar Cargo 747, and Fed-Ex MD-11. They always seems to be taxing around when I'm there.

I did find one decent leg of my trip this week. CLE-ERI on a Saab 340, and then ERI - CLE on a Beech 1900D. Only bad thing about this trip is, I get the pleasure of riding one of NW finest DC-9-50. I just love having a commuter run on aircraft older than me.

drv4truk

drv4truk

AE Winner

• Veteran
  • 2,273 posts

I did find one decent leg of my trip this week. CLE-ERI on a Saab 340, and then ERI - CLE on a Beech 1900D. Only bad thing about this trip is, I get the pleasure of riding one of NW finest DC-9-50. I just love having a commuter run on aircraft older than me.

Could be worse. You could be in a B732 or a DC-9-10. :P
Posted ImagePosted Image

StephenM

StephenM

• 987 posts
I live about 8nm from ORD or so (For the summer only, then back to Ireland), I love watching the heavies take off over where I am staying, KLM/BAW/AAL etc. :P

EDIT: Been there aswell with the 732 RYR DUB-MAN, got a B738 over (DUB-MAN) On the flight back in the B732 (MAN-DUB) I got a peek into the cockpit once landed. Had a great chat with the FO for about 15mins and then met the outbound PAX on their way up the stairs as I was leaving.
Aer Solas

whowey

whowey

• 260 posts

Could be worse. You could be in a B732 or a DC-9-10. :P

I've ridden on both in the past. I remember when they were considered mainline jets. Both were LOUD in the last few rows.

WingsOTWorld

WingsOTWorld

MEMBER 4EVA!

• 822 posts
I still wanna ride a DC 9...but NWA doesn't use them on heavier traffic routes like MCO-MSP/DTW/MEM.....
Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

Aircraft Owned: ATR-72s, Saabs, EMB-195LRs, A319s, 1 Q400, and A330s
ANA-The Pinnacle of Japanese Aviation (Kickin off at ORD) -An ACE Alliance Member / エイス アラヤンス メンバー全日空
ID#:10917

whowey

whowey

• 260 posts

I still wanna ride a DC 9...but NWA doesn't use them on heavier traffic routes like MCO-MSP/DTW/MEM.....

Trust me when I say, no you don't.

You would NEVER want to be folded, spindled, or mutilated into a DC-9 for a trip from MCO to MSP.

I have a hard time believing that NWA hasn't done anything that dumb. They are the airline that flies A320 family from FNT - DTW (a total of 57 miles).

WingsOTWorld

WingsOTWorld

MEMBER 4EVA!

• 822 posts
Heck I mean Ive been on an MD-80 before and I loved that, so very pleasant and that was on Continental from EWR to MCO. The DC9 cant be that bad, not when they refurbished it. Besides, NWA doesn't do MCO to anywhere with DC9s.
Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

ANA-The Pinnacle of Japanese Aviation (Kickin off at ORD) -An ACE Alliance Member / エイス アラヤンス メンバー全日空

drv4truk

drv4truk

AE Winner

• Veteran
  • 2,273 posts
:sniff: Don't be knocking the DC-9's. Many airlines would not be where they are today if it weren't for that aircraft. I fly on them regularly on 2 hour + flights from DTW or MSP and I prefer them over the CRJ's.

Speaking of the DC-9... this aircraft looks similar (maybe a little wider) to a DC-9-10. :saint:
Posted ImagePosted Image

WingsOTWorld

WingsOTWorld

MEMBER 4EVA!

• 822 posts
Holy crap...and there are orders for that thing?
Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

whowey

whowey

• 260 posts
Woot! This deal just got better.

I get a 733, a Dash 8, a Beech 1900, and an ERJ-135/145.

I'm hoping it turns out to be a 135, haven't ridden one yet.
I was looking forward to the Saab 340, but racking up a few more FF miles on my employer's checkbook is fine with me. Plus I get a stop in CVG, haven't been there in a couple of years.

HADC10

HADC10

• 273 posts
Wow, that Tu-334 is so cute!
Posted Image
ID 724
The North Country's Premier Airline
Proud Member of 3RA-North America Regional Coordinator
Offering over 100 flights a day to SEA, ANC, YYC, DEL, DEN, YEG, HND, HNL, KIX, LAS, LAX, MSP, PEK, CDG, PHX, PDX, RNO, SLC, SAN, SFO,TUS, YVR, and IAD
Click here for a no-fail AE strategy guide
Posted Image
Posted Image

StephenM

StephenM

• 987 posts
Its a little stumpy but good for Russian design, I hope western carriers give them some sort of business (Any new Russian aircraft)
Aer Solas

CaptKornDog

CaptKornDog

• 108 posts
Yes the DC-9 was indeed a good workhorse for airlines. But the longer versions like the MD-88 are just way too cramped for me. And having been in the last row, window seat (or a better description is wall seat with a window covered up by plastic) on an NWA DC-9-30 and -50...they are LOUD.
Posted Image
"Hemisphere Airlines. See more. Do more."
ID #: 2570
===============
1 Airbus A319
2 Dash 8-Q400s
1 Saab 2000s
3 Beech 1900Ds

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users