Photo

747-400DD is a spammy aircraft

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

mastacheifa118

mastacheifa118

A trombone player

• 92 posts

Does anyone else here think that the 747-400DD should be nerfed a ton? Its minimum runway distance is 4,973 feet, which is shorter than the CRJ-200LR's 5,347 feet, but those "godzilla" airlines tend to spam my routes with them. I don't understand why a 747 would possibly have a minimum runway distance shorter than a CRJ.

LATAM

LATAM

The neutral member

• 570 posts

User's Awards

They were used by ANA (Japan) for domestic flights in a high density configuration, though I'm not much sure about the runway configurations. 

LATAM 

post-80164-0-57964300-1517860417.png

Stevphfeniey

Stevphfeniey

Bad m*****f*****

• 4,249 posts

Yeah I'm really curious to see the math the data collectors used to calculate that takeoff distance.

please don't kill us we're just the aquabats

The Best Discord Server

0M4R

0M4R

yes

• 768 posts

You're not wrong.

"Minimum TORA (Take Off Run Available): 
B747-400Domestic, CFM56-80C2B1, air conditioning off, Standard day, sea level, no wind, 0° runway slope, 450,000-510,000lbs: 4800ft"

(source: boeing)

That's a minimum TORA though

According to another site:
y5XZFoySQayZSxqpSl2RqA.png\
And another
irfoCHFOSUeO05AmzzzZng.png

It varies so I can't really say for sure what is the "correct takeoff distance" but what we know is that the current data that is being used is incorrect

(without counting in wind, air pressure, altitude, weather, etc)

f2DbRjM.png

X-Wing @Aliciousness

X-Wing @Aliciousness

I think you'll like them!

• 1,760 posts

Every other plane in AE has the maximum required takeoff distance as the runway requirement, why is the 747-400D using the minimum?

UbxSbIt.png

LATAM

LATAM

The neutral member

• 570 posts

User's Awards

Every other plane in AE has the maximum required takeoff distance as the runway requirement, why is the 747-400D using the minimum?

spammers within the AE Dev. corps...? 

atnt71eb

atnt71eb

Emperor of AE - Most Trophies, Undefeated. Universally beloved.

• 342 posts

User's Awards

60    63    143    14    3   

You're not wrong.

"Minimum TORA (Take Off Run Available): 
B747-400Domestic, CFM56-80C2B1, air conditioning off, Standard day, sea level, no wind, 0° runway slope, 450,000-510,000lbs: 4800ft"

(source: boeing)

That's a minimum TORA though

According to another site:
y5XZFoySQayZSxqpSl2RqA.png\
And another
irfoCHFOSUeO05AmzzzZng.png

It varies so I can't really say for sure what is the "correct takeoff distance" but what we know is that the current data that is being used is incorrect

(without counting in wind, air pressure, altitude, weather, etc)

What is the site from which you pulled the 744D's V2 speed? I've been looking for that kind of info as an amateur enthusiast.

You all need to keep in mind that all of the listed runway minimums are for a plane at MTOW and standard (ISA) conditions. In reality, it is extremely rare for a plane to need the full runway minimum. Most planes take off at far below their MTOW, especially for short routes. At air shows, a lightly-loaded A380 has taken off in ~4,000ft. 

Re the 747-400D specifically, you have to realize that it has far lower MTOW yet the same thrust and wing as a 747-400. That means it behaves like a very lightly-loaded 744; it shouldn't be at all surprising that it has a very short takeoff run. 

Marb1

Marb1

Transport and aviation fan

• 1,782 posts

What is the site from which you pulled the 744D's V2 speed? I've been looking for that kind of info as an amateur enthusiast.

You all need to keep in mind that all of the listed runway minimums are for a plane at MTOW and standard (ISA) conditions. In reality, it is extremely rare for a plane to need the full runway minimum. Most planes take off at far below their MTOW, especially for short routes. At air shows, a lightly-loaded A380 has taken off in ~4,000ft. 

Re the 747-400D specifically, you have to realize that it has far lower MTOW yet the same thrust and wing as a 747-400. That means it behaves like a very lightly-loaded 744; it shouldn't be at all surprising that it has a very short takeoff run. 

You are a spamliner creator. Can't believe you're now talking about realism.

Pacific

Pacific

• 1,013 posts

User's Awards

2       2      

You know what Realism and Spamlining have in common?

An eye for detail with numbers, and how to use/exploit numbers effectively. ^_^

qRn0iGD.png

Stevphfeniey

Stevphfeniey

Bad m*****f*****

• 4,249 posts

The only reason why "spamlines" are as big as they are is because there is no growth cap in AE. If both the arbitrary and real world limitations to growth put on airlines were implemented on AE, those spamlines would be about as big as they are in the real world and your airline would be run into the dirt.

And I agree with our glorious Emperor that a 747D does have a lower overall takeoff weight, with a reduced fuel load being partially balanced with way more passengers, which with the same engines as a stock 744 would lead to a reduced takeoff roll. A C-17 under the right conditions can get off the ground with 3000 feet of runway. But "right conditions" typically means skeleton crew, no payload and bingo fuel which a 747-400D with 600+ passengers on-board definitely does not fall under.

The runway probably shouldn't be the 9000 or so feet takeoff roll of the stock 744 in game, but it also definitely shouldn't be 4000 feet. That would mean fully loaded 747-400Ds taking off from Chicago-Midway on the reg, which is just absurd.

DCs do your jobs for once and split the difference.

The Best Discord Server

WAZZ

WAZZ

Fan of being inactive

• 298 posts
  • Skype Name:wazzupyoshi

User's Awards

BTW 3320 meters is 10892.3 feet. Barely short enough for EWR.

So if the 2nd statistic is true, the 747DD will be absolute garbage.

If the 3rd statistic is true (7480.315 feet), then it will still be a semi-competent aircraft. Just not the god it currently is..

People will always spamline. It's just nature. Hell even I'm guilty of it too. Nerfing aircraft will do nothing but make the game less fun. So let people use the 747DD. It's better for all of us.

Discord: Farko#3900 lolbanned

LATAM

LATAM

The neutral member

• 570 posts

User's Awards

atnt71eb

atnt71eb

• 342 posts

User's Awards

You are a spamliner creator. Can't believe you're now talking about realism.

We are THE spamline creator. Cower before us and know that your puny airline shall see no mercy.

mastacheifa118

mastacheifa118

A trombone player

• 92 posts

Mr. Emperor Dude..... why does it say that you were in the top 10 8 times but in the top 3 10 times and in the first place 10 times?

Jarkii

Jarkii

Airline Simulation Addict

• 301 posts

User's Awards

2    3   

Mr. Emperor Dude..... why does it say that you were in the top 10 8 times but in the top 3 10 times and in the first place 10 times?

A 10th place trophy isnt given out when you get top 3 - only one trophy will be given for an airline when it finishes

mastacheifa118

mastacheifa118

A trombone player

• 92 posts

A 10th place trophy isnt given out when you get top 3 - only one trophy will be given for an airline when it finishes

Okay, thanks for clearing that up.

Stevphfeniey

Stevphfeniey

Bad m*****f*****

• 4,249 posts

So I did a little more digging into this today and noticed that the 744D's MTOW is something like 65% of that of the regular 744. As it turns out the runway usage of the 744D is about 60 something percent of that of a regular 744 at MTOW (which is supposedly what AE data collectors base all the takeoff run numbers from), which isn't an entirely unreasonable assumption to make except for the fact that method assumes that the takeoff run of a completely empty 744 is zero feet. So really that 65% number should be applied to the difference between a 744's takeoff run at MTOW and empty.

The Best Discord Server

zortan

zortan

AE Winner

• 2,515 posts

Good point, but not as true with realism, you're not trying to exploit as much to be honest.

So I did a little more digging into this today and noticed that the 744D's MTOW is something like 65% of that of the regular 744. As it turns out the runway usage of the 744D is about 60 something percent of that of a regular 744 at MTOW (which is supposedly what AE data collectors base all the takeoff run numbers from), which isn't an entirely unreasonable assumption to make except for the fact that method assumes that the takeoff run of a completely empty 744 is zero feet. So really that 65% number should be applied to the difference between a 744's takeoff run at MTOW and empty.

Fuel.

atnt71eb

atnt71eb

• 342 posts

User's Awards

I don't quite follow you here. 

You may be assuming that there should be a linear relationship between weight and takeoff run. Not so. 

Lift is proportional to the square of speed; the dominant form of takeoff drag (induced) is proportional to the square of lift and the inverse of the square of speed. 

To solve for takeoff field length requires multiple complicated calculations, including integrating things like ground drag over the takeoff run. It's probably the single hardest thing to model when designing an airplane. By comparison, figuring out cruise drag and fuel burn is pretty easy (basically a matter of span, wetted area, weight, and engine efficiency). 

Stevphfeniey

Stevphfeniey

Bad m*****f*****

• 4,249 posts

Well I did my method, punched it into my Ti-84 and came out to about 7000 ft of runway usage. First I found the minimum takeoff run of a 744 which is roughly 4800 feet. Then I took AE's 744 takeoff run of 8400 feet, then subtracted 4800 from that which comes out to 3600. Then I multiplied that by 65%, then added that number back to the 4800 feet and got about 7000 feet.

Then somebody sent me this:

sxdu8f3.png

The Best Discord Server

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users