Long Haul or How do I make money

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

Russ

Russ

Junior Birdman

• 161 posts
I have established a hub and am ready to move overseas. My first attempt failed because I couldn't get any LF. It was pre hub but I don't know if that is a factor. It was also with a 747D

If I go to Europe from Dallas Love; am I restricted to the large hub airports like LHR or Paris (with competition)or can I go to a smaller airport that I would be the only carrier on?

What size a/c? I am sticking with Boeing this round.

Thanks for any advice
Bushey Airlines

A little of this and a little of that.

Member ACE

FuriousFalcon

FuriousFalcon

• Validating
  • 311 posts
on a route with competition with a 747 you wont earn much if any because the 747 is not efficient and too many passengers, so you might earn more with a 763ER and quite low price compared to the competition...also to smaller airports with no competition the 747 is too big because obviously theres no demand!...I would go with a 777 as the biggest aircraft!
A Member of the PlatinumWings Alliance

A good landing is one you walk out of...
...an exelent landing is one where you can use the aircraft again ;)

C'mon you Reds...we can do it this year! Red Devil for ever!!!

rocksandfossils

rocksandfossils

Banned

• 257 posts
you would be better off with A333/A346 than with a 772 or 773.

LeipeLimbo

LeipeLimbo

• 492 posts
might try a smaller plane first ?? and i think you might try it again after hubbing your place .. i'm pretty sure it will help (also depending on % of marketshare in ur hub). Can't give any frame advice since im an Airbus flyer :(
Theo ceo Limbo Lines
ID #9350
Posted ImagePosted Image

Maestro69

Maestro69

El Original Mod, AE Beta Tester

• AE Moderator
  • 4,010 posts

User's Awards

3    3   
first of all, B747D @ DAL aint going to work. Pure logic.

Dallas Love aint a small-medium airport and thus, u would assume that if u wanted to launch long-haul, ur best bet would be an A332/A333 at best. Anything else will sure be too expensive to operate and not provide a return ur looking for.

Always handy having figures at hand to work these things out :( :)

dleLlDN.png?raw=1

Russ

Russ

Junior Birdman

• 161 posts

Always handy having figures at hand to work these things out :( :)

What figures?
Bushey Airlines

Member ACE

Maestro69

Maestro69

• AE Moderator
  • 4,010 posts

User's Awards

3    3   
its called airport pax figures.. :(

dleLlDN.png?raw=1

Russ

Russ

Junior Birdman

• 161 posts
And they would be obtained how? Are you refering to RL pass or AE pass figures?
Bushey Airlines

Member ACE

Maestro69

Maestro69

• AE Moderator
  • 4,010 posts

User's Awards

3    3   
no one except for Miller and torque have the AE figures...

i got some RL figures on me which i use to work out my fleet strategy and other stuff aswell... :(

dleLlDN.png?raw=1

Russ

Russ

Junior Birdman

• 161 posts

no one except for Miller and torque have the AE figures...

i got some RL figures on me which i use to work out my fleet strategy and other stuff aswell... :(

I have been using the gate cost as an indicator of Passenger potential.
Bushey Airlines

Member ACE

LeipeLimbo

LeipeLimbo

• 492 posts

I have been using the gate cost as an indicator of Passenger potential.

I don't know if the pax-values in AE , but if they anything like RL then you're going to be surprised with that tactic . In Europe(for example) some pretty good markets are costing $ 99K .. whilst some of the most expensive one totally suck :( . btw to come back one your original question ..if you're going to jump in on a trans-atlantic route .. i highly recommend you "check" out your competition . You stand a good chance if your hub is stronger (departing city) or if the competition is flying from a smaller (pax value)city .. But if you're going to fly on a main market city ..that is "controlled" pretty much(say 30% +) by 1 airline . Then :) you better make sure you got a huge share at your hub . Even when the route is still without competition.. I just found out the painful way it's possible to "take over" an existing route even with a HIGHER fare price , just because my competition has a stronger marketshare at a stronger city .
Theo ceo Limbo Lines
ID #9350
Posted ImagePosted Image

Russ

Russ

Junior Birdman

• 161 posts

btw to come back one your original question ..if you're going to jump in on a trans-atlantic route .. i highly recommend you "check" out your competition . You stand a good chance if your hub is stronger (departing city) or if the competition is flying from a smaller (pax value)city .. But if you're going to fly on a main market city ..that is "controlled" pretty much(say 30% +) by 1 airline . Then :( you better make sure you got a huge share at your hub . Even when the route is still without competition.. I just found out the painful way it's possible to "take over" an existing route even with a HIGHER fare price , just because my competition has a stronger marketshare at a stronger city .

I can see that graphically in MEX where Saturn V and #1 both fly 346 from LHR. #1 has about 30% cheaper tickets but virtually 0% LF because Saturn V is dominate at LHR.

It has eliminated several of the Eur cities I was considering. Including LHR :sniff:
Bushey Airlines

Member ACE

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users