Photo

Guide on how to find routes that have fewer seats than the demand

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

EvilDude93

EvilDude93

AE Addict To-Be

• 11 posts
  1. What you'll want to do is to go to the general airport details screen for a given airport. I will use BWI since that's my home. http://ae31.airline-...fo.php?city=BWI
  2. Now copy the entire table from the "City" label to the last "Research" link. Open up an excel document (or use mine as a template). I would recommend pasting without formatting which is CTRL + SHIFT + V in Google Sheets or right click and select with Excel. 

3. Open up the Find/Replace tool (usually CTRL + F and click replace). Type in " Y", yes that's Y with a space and submit. I usually use the economy seats for this data, but you can use other ones too so find and replace " F" and " C".

4. Ok now go to the blank column to the right of "Research." This is the M column. You can delete the research column, but I usually don't because then when you replace the table with new data, it overwrites your formulas. 

5. Select the entire column and go to Format->Percent and select "Percentage."

6. Now go to the 4th row which is the first row with data. Type =<SeatsColumnRow>/<DemandColumnRow> where the <> is replaced by the column and the relevant row. For economy, the formula should be E4/H4

7. Copy and paste that all the way down the column. Don't do the whole column because that can cause performance issues if you have it all the way to like 200000, for example, but do it manually to row 500.

8. Okay! Now for the fun part. Select the table starting at row 4. Go to sort and sort by column M ascending.

9. That's it! It will display the percentage that a route is saturated. You can also sort by price (column K)

Hope this helps! I'm sure someone on here is better than me at Excel so any tips would be appreciated as well. On the last tab you can see I've been trying to make a listing of the total passengers of a plane over time. This helps to calculate what plane would be more worth it given their turnaround time. Any suggestions for improvements to that? Or maybe someone on here has made something like this already?

City" label to the last "Research" link. Open up an excel document (or use mine as a template). I would recommend pasting without formatting which is CTRL + SHIFT + V in Google Sheets or right click and select with Excel. 

NNR

NNR

Beloved, Charred Remains

• 1,203 posts

User's Awards

Very informative guide. Good work OP.

If You're Reading This It's Too Late

Marb1

Marb1

Transport and aviation fan

• 1,782 posts

WOW!

AsiaPacific

AsiaPacific

AE Player

• 54 posts

definition of dedication

zortan

zortan

AE Winner

• 2,515 posts

wow! Love it! Thanks!!

atnt71eb

atnt71eb

Emperor of AE - Most Trophies, Undefeated. Universally beloved.

• 342 posts

User's Awards

60    63    143    14    3   
Well done. Though this only works for routes that are served. To find empty routes:

1. Open up the airport page
2. Return to childhood and acquire a love of maps and comprehensive memory of city locations
3. Compare the airport's route map to your mental map of cities

Whirligig

Whirligig

AE Player

• 93 posts

User's Awards

Go to browse airports, scroll down a bit, and fill all the smaller airports that other players don't know about.
This also helps for finding airports with avail or gates, as this is a huge issue now.
This is how airlines get thousands upon thousands of destinations

EvilDude93

EvilDude93

AE Addict To-Be

• 11 posts

11/21/17 edit: Formulas now ignore the "Y" so you don't have to run a string replace anymore :) I can make versions for C and F if there's interest. Say so in the comments or on the forum

SUJETO

SUJETO

Proud Virtual Airliner since 1989

• 295 posts

User's Awards

4    2      

Very interesting. Continue working. :thumbup:

____________________EEEn_____________________:oS;
_____________________EEEE:__:-_____-lcneEg+.*EE--
_____________________*EEOEOEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE-oOEV
____________:;;--+++-oEEOEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
__.:::::::.______::::__*CEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEglCS