Creating Hubs

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

Russ

Russ

Junior Birdman

• 161 posts
I have read the Strategy Guide and researched the threads but I am still unsure of when to create a hub.

According to the Strategy Guide, I should wait until I have about 20 gates, but I notice that many players create a hub with far fewer gates. I assume that results in a positive cash flow but not as significant as a larger number of gates.

Are there other factors that contribute to a hub? Such as % of airport traffic. number of cities served, frequency of flights? Or is it simply a matter of slots used?
Bushey Airlines

A little of this and a little of that.

Member ACE

airline55

airline55

• 1,198 posts
well, a hub causes you gates to cost 2x more. So, I would wait until you have: A) A terminal with 25 gates (don't build a terminal with less!), :( Significant jet operations using jets 737 or larger, and C) A well developed route structure.

Russ

Russ

Junior Birdman

• 161 posts

well, a hub causes you gates to cost 2x more. So, I would wait until you have: A) A terminal with 25 gates (don't build a terminal with less!), :( Significant jet operations using jets 737 or larger, and C) A well developed route structure.

What do you mean by a well developed route structure?
Bushey Airlines

Member ACE

airline55

airline55

• 1,198 posts
make sure that you have enough routes (serving many destinations) to justify the extra expense. You need to make sure that you have route that connect to several different locations (like europe, asia, and the U.S.). This is because, even if you served all cities in, say, the Northeast, but not any other location, it would not make sense to create a hub becuase most of the connections would have to compete with direct routes going to the same locations.

Russ

Russ

Junior Birdman

• 161 posts

make sure that you have enough routes (serving many destinations) to justify the extra expense. You need to make sure that you have route that connect to several different locations (like europe, asia, and the U.S.). This is because, even if you served all cities in, say, the Northeast, but not any other location, it would not make sense to create a hub becuase most of the connections would have to compete with direct routes going to the same locations.

What about SA? And if I fly to Eur or Asia, should I go to a major hub like LHR or a smaller airport?
Bushey Airlines

Member ACE

Russ

Russ

Junior Birdman

• 161 posts
Is having widebodies important?
Bushey Airlines

Member ACE

BarbulaM1

BarbulaM1

• 226 posts
  • WLM ID:BarbulaM1@msn.com
  • AIM Screen Name:BarbulaM1
Build a hub when you have a conciderable amount of traffic running through that particular airport. Also, a hub and spoke network is the only way a hub will work out for you. :( as for airlines having hubs with little traffic or a small number of gates, at this stage in the game a major airline can just go out pick an airport, hub that airport, build a small (or large) terminal and take over the airport. I have built most of my terminals and hubs under 20 gates, and they work fine. But my route structor is very hub/spoke.
Posted ImagePosted Image
Discover The West, Go Beyond The West, Airways International
COAI Holding Group International - Airways International
Proudly serving the Greak Lakes region for over 15 years.

Visit: Simtropolis.com | Simvision.net (of course look for me)

Russ

Russ

Junior Birdman

• 161 posts

Build a hub when you have a conciderable amount of traffic running through that particular airport. Also, a hub and spoke network is the only way a hub will work out for you. :( as for airlines having hubs with little traffic or a small number of gates, at this stage in the game a major airline can just go out pick an airport, hub that airport, build a small (or large) terminal and take over the airport. I have built most of my terminals and hubs under 20 gates, and they work fine. But my route structor is very hub/spoke.

So when setting up my routes should I go for LF rather than max profit? If I have a choice between a LF of 72 or 66 with minor profit implications should I go for the higher LF or when I add the hub will the LF increase?
Bushey Airlines

Member ACE

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users