Photo

Is it time for a 732/3/4/5/6 replacement?

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

SkyAirlines-WA

SkyAirlines-WA

• 29 posts
Is it time for Boeing to start looking at a replacement for early model 737s?

If so, what would you like to see?
Posted Image

dreamlinerCP

dreamlinerCP

• 181 posts
well...Boeing already has a solution to replace the the 737-200 to 737-500 models. These are replaced as follows: 737-200 & 737-500 replaced by 737-600 (which is a relatively new design and won't be replaced until Boeing replaces the rest of the 737NGs), 737-300 replaced by 737-700 i believe, and 737-400 replaced by 737-800 (I can't quite remember whether -300 or -400 was the larger. the larger is replaced by -800 anyways).

Thus, Boeing currently offers the 737NG family to replace the early model 737s, but I'm sure in a couple years Boeing will launch the 797 series, which will replace the NGs...
dreamlinerCP
Founder & CEO of Canadian International Airways
Posted Image
[Canadian International Airways Incorporated; player #6892]
Can you feel the change? It's Canadian International.

HADC10

HADC10

• 273 posts
The -400 is basically a -300 stretch
Posted Image
ID 724
The North Country's Premier Airline
Proud Member of 3RA-North America Regional Coordinator
Offering over 100 flights a day to SEA, ANC, YYC, DEL, DEN, YEG, HND, HNL, KIX, LAS, LAX, MSP, PEK, CDG, PHX, PDX, RNO, SLC, SAN, SFO,TUS, YVR, and IAD
Click here for a no-fail AE strategy guide
Posted Image
Posted Image

AASuper80

AASuper80

American Airlines - 80yrs

• 67 posts
  • AIM Screen Name:x0PapaoX
they'll probably stretch it like the 900ER, or redesign it :P its such a great line already they should make it twin isle although thatd look kinda wierd (weird? i cant spell)

TorqueWrench

TorqueWrench

AE Luver

• Veteran
  • 446 posts

As mentioned, the replacement for early model 737's are the -700, -800 and -900 models...

SkyAirlines-WA

SkyAirlines-WA

• 29 posts
Capacity wise, the 700/800/900 are far larger than the 200/300/400/500 so I don't see them as a direct replacement. What if a route doesn't require additional capacity, just more economical aircraft? Boeing doesn't have anything to offer. Does an airline go Airbus with the A318/319 or do they look to a larger RJ?
Posted Image

Tump

Tump

• 442 posts

User's Awards

First of all, the 737-600 is a NG model, and Boeing's replacement for the 735.

Depending from 2 views the awnser to your question is both yes and no.

Economical point of view: no. Boeing will not be going to close a succesful line (the most succesful line ever in history) while they are still selling big time. It would be redicilous if they would go and invest, millions or billions of dollars in a replacement while they can generate millions and millions with the current line. Same accounts for airbus and the A320 family. Yes yes, I know the 787 technology can be used etc etc. We've heard that all before, yet, the 787 has not flown yet and anyone would know that it is not wise to go and design two or maybe three all new aircraft on based on all new (unkown) technology. It's a matter of spreading out your risks, cause Boeing will be terribly screwed if the early composite models dont get the results they would like to have (look at the MD11 flop, it wanst new technology, but never the less: targets werent met: the plane failed (saleswise)). Boeing will start looking at a 737NG replacement after the 787 has settled on the market and the 737NG sales are slowly dropping...

From an enviromental point of view: Yes. But this yes includes to all planes currently being build. And with that I mean the engines. Those GeNX may look all cool and new but they are nothing more than a representation of the ending of the development of turbofans. It are still fuel sucking monsters, the only difference is that they now 'drink' a bit less. Add to that the massive economic growth in China and India and their mass-orders of aircraft. It was stated that in 2030 the CO2 level on earth and the greenhouse effect will reach the point of no return and basically the (current) climate will be pretty f#cked up. Aircraft are having a larger role in this process each year, as being big poluters (one aircraft on a medium haul route burns the same amount of fuel as one family car does in a year). So, yes, all aircraft need replacement. A replacement in powerplants. What that powerplant will be and how it will work....... I dont know, maybe you got a clue? :)

[edit] blame me for not reading well enough, but yeah the early models have the 736, 73G, 738 as their replacement, the 739 is just another stretch of the 73G.

mandala499

mandala499

• 27 posts
Back to the 737 replacement... I think enough has been done to keep the 737 line going. With newer competitors coming, they bring new attractions to the lower capacity end (the 100 - 120 seater end)...

A replacement would be hard pressed to suit the range of requirements that the 737 and the A32X family serves... What will be a challenge is how to serve the developing world where runways are 2000m long but can't have a 734 without pavement strength weight restrictions, which punishes the A320 more... But it can be argued that by the time the 737 replacement comes (and the A32X replacement) those runway strength issues will not be as critical as today...

So, is there a real need for a conventional replacement of the 737 if they can just bring efficiency further? I doubt it... Until there's a new revolution on efficiency or design... I personally don't see any need for a blanket replacement... just more refinements... or just bring back the EPR gauge!

Cheers...

FuriousFalcon

FuriousFalcon

• Validating
  • 311 posts

Capacity wise, the 700/800/900 are far larger than the 200/300/400/500 so I don't see them as a direct replacement. What if a route doesn't require additional capacity, just more economical aircraft? Boeing doesn't have anything to offer. Does an airline go Airbus with the A318/319 or do they look to a larger RJ?

My friend..Capacity wise, the 600/700/800 are indeed a direct replacement of the 200/300/400/500 models (that's why they are made in different sizes), if the NG models have a few extra seats, that's besides the point, in a manufacturer point of view "if we can fit more without compromising decent legroom/headroom/etc" then they will fit more seats which also plays part in efficiency. If the airline sells more tickets the more they earn which means the more economical the plane is compared to the slightly less capacity plane.
The 900 addition is an enlarged 800 version for extra capacity routes if needed or lower capacity/range 752 if needed :)
and I think Tump & mandala have covered the rest :)
A Member of the PlatinumWings Alliance

A good landing is one you walk out of...
...an exelent landing is one where you can use the aircraft again ;)

C'mon you Reds...we can do it this year! Red Devil for ever!!!

FuriousFalcon

FuriousFalcon

• Validating
  • 311 posts
Also...If we see a replacement for the 737 line soon it might be welcome by some airlines but it's most certainly time for new technology and without the 787 even making a first flight I think the 737 replacement would be stupid since the technology is not there yet, its risky, and changing some bits of the 737 will not be enough to cover the costs of buying a new plane to replace a 737NG already "owned" that's probably why NW still flies older aircraft! However I think both Boeing & Airbus are secretly studying the short-medium haul replacement for when they need it, otherwise it's a bit of a suicide with such important market! :)
A Member of the PlatinumWings Alliance

A good landing is one you walk out of...
...an exelent landing is one where you can use the aircraft again ;)

C'mon you Reds...we can do it this year! Red Devil for ever!!!

VC-10

VC-10

• 706 posts
The 737NGs have the same cabin length, but a new tail unit (bigger, if you compare a 737-300's tail to a -700's, you will notice the -700s to be taller. The horisontal tailplane is also longer, and pointier at the end. They have a new wing, new gear, flightdeck and engines.

The -800 is a slight stretch over the -400 I think, and the -900 has no comarison.
Proud member of the GoldenSKY Alliance, PM me to join!
Fleet:
3 Beach 1900D
98% of the teenage population does or has tried smoking pot. If you're one of the 2% who hasn't, copy & paste this in your signature.
British World Airlines-bwa No 3753
Posted Image

airline55

airline55

• 1,198 posts
I don't think the issue is replacing the -100,-200,and -300 versions, but finding a replacement for the -700,-800,-900 and 757 models (it could be done by one line), in large, the market for smaller planes like the -200 has been given up by A and B to other planes like the CRJ's. Besides, airlines have been cutting capacity in their markets. The obvious solution is to use larger planes with fewer frequencies, reducing the market for such small planes.

iceberg210

iceberg210

• 17 posts
The NG's are exact replacements of the 737 classics. The -600 is on the same body as the -200 and -500. The -700 is on the same body as the -300. The -800 is the only one that although replacing an older model that was streched. It is slightly larger then the -400 although origanally planned to be the -400 size it was streched to accomidate cumstomer's desire for a larger aircraft and one that could fit perfectly as a 727-200 replacement.
Erik Berg
Stavenger Airlines
Code 8789
Third Rock Alliance Lifetime Member

Russ

Russ

Junior Birdman

• 161 posts

As noted here, the early models were replaced by the 737NG series.

The replacement for the 737NG series depends on several factors, the drivng one being new engines which are not due until the 2011/13 timeframe. Without new engines, even using 787 technology, the estimate is only a 10% performance improvement.

Atlantic_Air

Atlantic_Air

• 846 posts
off topic slightly but, could 737-500 or -300's be capeable of having winglets???
CEO of Atlantic Airways

Posted Image Posted Image

iceberg210

iceberg210

• 17 posts
Yes the in fact the -300 and even the -200 have acquired winglets. However I'm not aware of any -400's or -500's that have winglets. Southwest in fact has some -300's with winglets I believe.
Erik Berg
Stavenger Airlines
Code 8789

Tump

Tump

• 442 posts

User's Awards

Yes the in fact the -300 and even the -200 have acquired winglets. However I'm not aware of any -400's or -500's that have winglets. Southwest in fact has some -300's with winglets I believe.

There are two airlines that have 733s with Winglets, Virgin Express from Belgium and Air Plus Comet from Spain.
And yep, there are no -400s or -500s with winglets. A retrofit should be possible though, but no airline or maintenance company ever pushed this idea forward (yet).

And I never seen or heard about an 737-200 with winglets.

There are plenty of 727s flying around with winglets though.

iceberg210

iceberg210

• 17 posts
http://www.airliners...file/0766968/M/

Here is a picture of a 737-200 with winglets.
Erik Berg
Stavenger Airlines
Code 8789

Tump

Tump

• 442 posts

User's Awards

Cool,

thanks, never seen that before :P

VC-10

VC-10

• 706 posts
I think that Aviation Partners Boeing who make the winglets for the 737NGs including those fitted at the factory make winglets for 737-300/-400/-500/-600/-700/-800/-900 and the 757-200/-300, though not all are used.
Proud member of the GoldenSKY Alliance, PM me to join!
Fleet:
3 Beach 1900D
98% of the teenage population does or has tried smoking pot. If you're one of the 2% who hasn't, copy & paste this in your signature.
British World Airlines-bwa No 3753
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users