What's wrong with the South?

- - - - -

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
12 replies to this topic

Zacca

Zacca

AE nostalgic member

• 1,738 posts
Why the south always tries to separate from their respective countries? As the southern US and southern Brazil.
What's wrong with the south?

hayhaa

hayhaa

christs sake

• 1,681 posts

User's Awards

Not always. What about Northern Cyprus and Scotland?

Zacca

Zacca

AE nostalgic member

• 1,738 posts

Not always. What about Northern Cyprus and Scotland?

North is almost south... But it's north

KJS607

KJS607

The O.G. Savage

• 3,860 posts

User's Awards

6       3   

Pure coincidence, it is not always the South at all, I'd say the direction in constrast to the respective country is pretty equal, though I have better things to do with my time than go through listing them all, I'm sure someone below will be happy to do so.

msg-1341-0-50048700-1680446869_thumb.png

I did a thing: thetravelsavage.com

konj1

konj1

whatever

• 562 posts

User's Awards

3       3    3      

Why the south always tries to separate from their respective countries? As the southern US and southern Brazil.

What's wrong with the south?

In Europe it's mostly other way around when it comes to most modern secessionist movements that have any real representation in parliaments, constitution or actual military force.

Scotland and N. Cyprus were already mentioned, but there's more.

Many in the rich north of Italy represented by Lega Nord don't feel they're the same nation as the poor and complicated (crime etc) South and want to secede (either as a big federation of "Padania" or smaller traditional political entities Veneto, Lombardia etc.).

In Belgium, Flemish (Dutch speaking) north is more vocal about wanting to get through with the almost already completely divided country for a long time dominated by French culture in the south, but the country's larger portion of economy and population are in the north.

In Spain the most fiercely secessionist, and again the richest, Basque and Catalan regions are in the north-east of the country, as far as I know most people there would take outright independence as soon as possible.

To go a bit back, Yugoslavia started breaking up along similar lines (economy, of course) when smaller but more rich Slovenia and Croatia wanted to finish with the southern economically more troubled but politically dominant south (Serbia was especially a political problem, but they felt the rest drags them down as well, or even more, economically).

Ex USSR is a long story, but at the moment, if we don't count already annexed Crimea, separatist parts of Ukraine ("Novorossiya") are now in the north-east, as well as two Georgian separatist regions.

(I'm not counting Armenia-Azerbaijan disputes or Bosnia and Herzegovina because their population distribution is cluster****).

zipp

zipp

POLARIS ALLIANCE #1 FAN

• 3,340 posts

User's Awards

South Australia is a great example ^_^

GcveK9y.png

f5RRaJZ.png

I want my gays illegal and my racism married

Zacca

Zacca

AE nostalgic member

• 1,738 posts

though I have better things to do with my time than go through listing them all, I'm sure someone below will be happy to do so.

You were right :P

highland

highland

AE Luver

• 393 posts

I've been thinking about this thread for a couple of days now... I think I've figured it out...

all the north/south stuff is all over food. see, here in America. I always hate going through Georgia,

and having to eat everything cooked in peanut oil... it really kills me.

and the east/west thing. that's just a battle of crazy rich people. yea. see, if you give a weapon to a

super smart, stupidly rich grandchild. he thinks it's his right to stick his foot up your butt in order to

keep you safe.....

"this is unfinished, I forgot what I was thinking"

ffxxmz

ffxxmz

Air Galicia's CEO and future pilot

• 254 posts
I would like the Argentinean and Chilean Patagonia to secede and form a new country together. Possible capital cities would be Neuquén, Comodoro Rivadavia, Concepción or Temuco. The problem at least in Argentina is that we pay the highest taxes in the country but we are forgotten in terms of infrastructure. The only time when the government cares about us is when they speak about Vaca Muerta oil fields but the rest of the time, the government still thinks that the Patagonia is just 7 guys named Lautaro and some sheep

RmzvjWC.jpg

Zacca

Zacca

AE nostalgic member

• 1,738 posts

I would love to see Patagonia the country

ffxxmz

ffxxmz

Air Galicia's CEO and future pilot

• 254 posts

I would love to see Patagonia the country

In 1984, someone wrote a short story that generated a lot of turmoil in the country. The writer imagined a sudden independence of the so called "United States of Patagonia".

The story went on like this. A terrorist group took control of all the hydroelectric dams of the Patagonia and threatened to blow them up, which would generate an energetic crisis of biblical proportions for at least the next 6 years, if Argentina didn't recognize the USP as a sovereign country in the next 24 hours (more than the 50% of the electricity used in Argentina comes from the many dams located throughout the Patagonia, the same can be said about the oil and gas of Argentina). The grounds of the independence claims were the same as today's. All the resources go to Buenos Aires with little restitution, we are taxed heavily but the money doesn't come back, the heavy corruption of the central government etc… The USP have the support of many countries in South America so the president has no other choice than allowing the independence of Patagonia. The story ends with the USP as a regional superpower, with a strong economy thanks to selling electricity, oil and gas to Argentina and other powerful countries, reinvesting the money in heavy and light industry, instead of relying solely on exporting energetic resources and with a strong currency that uses the gold standard instead of the idiotic dollar standard

RmzvjWC.jpg

Zacca

Zacca

AE nostalgic member

• 1,738 posts

God, I love Latin America history during cold war

PingPong

PingPong

Dormant and Highly Sarcastic

• 1,206 posts
I support this motion
post-80164-0-63668800-1520707454.png