• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

Stevphfeniey

Stevphfeniey

Bad m*****f*****

• 4,249 posts

****ing finally.

A highlight from the ruling:

"No union is more profound than marriage, for it embodies the highest ideals of love, fidelity, devotion, sacrifice, and family. In forming a marital union, two people become something greater than once they were. As some of the petitioners in these cases demonstrate, marriage embodies a love that may endure even past death. It would misunderstand these men and women to say they disrespect the idea of marriage. Their plea is that they do respect it, respect it so deeply that they seek to find its fulfillment for themselves. Their hope is not to be condemned to live in loneliness, excluded from one of civilization’s oldest institutions. They ask for equal dignity in the eyes of the law. The Constitution grants them that right. The judgment of the Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit is reversed. It is so ordered." - Supreme Court Justice Anthony Kennedy 

please don't kill us we're just the aquabats

The Best Discord Server

SirMoo

SirMoo

Rawr?

• 497 posts

'bout time. He's pretty much said what the law says. Those against it are not basing their views on US law but on personal belief and should be removed from the court.

Stevphfeniey

Stevphfeniey

Bad m*****f*****

• 4,249 posts

'bout time. He's pretty much said what the law says. Those against it are not basing their views on US law but on personal belief and should be removed from the court.

CoughScaliaisanutcasecough

The Best Discord Server

Falcon444

Falcon444

The World Serpent™

• 185 posts

Equality and United States in the same title. :sly:

dieseltu

dieseltu

AE Luver

• 436 posts

User's Awards

They did not rule the Constitution grants the right. They said it does not deny the right.  By a 5-4 decision.   And 4 judges stated their decision may not pass  Constitutional muster.  A big fat difference. between does not deny and grants.

vsauce

vsauce

travelling at 35 km/h

• 636 posts

User's Awards

equality will never be achievable, sooner or later someone will want more rights

09f14b347b.jpg

xjF8rVw.png

SirMoo

SirMoo

Rawr?

• 497 posts
[quote name="Dieseltu" post="200476" timestamp="1435366486"]

They did not rule the Constitution grants the right. They said it does not deny the right. By a 5-4 decision. And 4 judges stated their decision may not pass Constitutional muster. A big fat difference. between does not deny and grants.[/quote]

Let me quote the part that Steve quoted...

[quote]The Constitution grants them that right.[\quote]

The word 'right' is constantly and consistently used in the ruling.

PatriotsBruins&RedSox

PatriotsBruins&RedSox

AE Player

• 83 posts
I am once glad to finally say "I am proud to be an American*"

Todays ruling by the Supreme Court was a virtous action.
MAL

dieseltu

dieseltu

AE Luver

• 436 posts

User's Awards

Let me quote Supreme court Judge Scalia on the  states ban of gay marriage decision.

Since you want to be selective about you're quotes.

Quote.  Celebrate the availability of new benefits ., But do not celebrate the Constitution. It had nothing to do with it.   End.

Its nothing more then more Social engineering.  A new Liberal benefit.

Kind of irrelevant and not important. in the big scope of things.

17 remaining states cant ban gay marriage. Good.  The states get what they deserve.  For corrupting the Constitution

Who cares. It changes nothing.

No individuals will submit to an imperial court. Or an imperial country.

Which is why we are here. Isn't it.

Or change their minds and invite them to dinner. If they don't want too.

SirMoo

SirMoo

Rawr?

• 497 posts

Let me quote Scalia on the  states ban of gay marriage decision.

Since you want to be selective about you're quotes.

Quote.  Celebrate the availability of new benefits ., But do not celebrate the Constitution. It had nothing to do with it.   End.

Its nothing more then more Social engineering.  A new benefit.

Kind of irrelevant and not important. in the big scope of things.

17 remaining states cant ban gay marriage. Who cares. It changes nothing.

No individuals will change their minds and invite them to dinner. If they don't want too.

Scailia is slowly losing his mind. Lets all be clear on this.

None-the-less, Scalia's opinion is not relevant as it's not the opinion of the court. Kennedy ruled that it IS a fundamental right that a union between two persons is protected regardless of gender mix. He also pointed to the historical rulings where the court also protected marriage of those between other races and those with the inability to conceive. Confirming the stance of the court that as long as the marriage is between two people... it is a right.

You say who cares. However, the large amount of Americans who can now get married legally and be provided with the same rights and protections that they were in the past denied... care. :P

Honestly, if someone didn't want to invite me to dinner based on sexual orientation... why would I be having dinner with them in the first place? XD

Bottom line. Constitutional protections are nice.

dieseltu

dieseltu

AE Luver

• 436 posts

User's Awards

Kennedy ruled states can not ban  gay  marriage.   End. 

He spoke of  rights.  Personal rights , because Constitutional rights are ALL written down. And gay marriage is not one of them.  And of this personal right,  being protected, because the Constitution does NOT ban it.  End...

It is  not Constitutional rights.   Its just not banned.  Because they do not exist in the Constitution.

The states lost the right to enforce their ways . Because the Federal Government decided it has the right to manage gay rights under the 17th amendment. 

And the states let that amendment get in because of their own corruption.

Nobody cares if gays get married. Good. They should be responsible , and honor marriage .

Its all the other forced , gay crap, and deviants , gay or not.

And the Supreme court attacking the Constitution since it was created,

With their power grabs

That pissed the people off.

SirMoo

SirMoo

Rawr?

• 497 posts

Supreme Court's job is to state what the constitution and law has intended in cases where there is debate. Their job is, at times, to rule on issues as to protect the American population as they see fit based on the constitution. They have done so.

Other courts before this one have have protected the right to marry between two people and stated it is defined by constitutional protections. This court has agreed and simply stated that the laws protect and extend to homosexual couples the same right to marriage and marriage recognition as it does to heterosexual couples. Since heterosexual couples are protected, it is illegal in the eyes of the law to no protect homosexual couples and thus the right extends to them.

The states right to define laws is limited to the powers not invoked by the Federal Government. The Federal Government defined marriage as a man and a women. Do you agree this was also a violation as you've stated? This definition was over turned. Now the Supreme Court has stated that it is a violation of laws for a state to provide protections to one group of people and effectively limit another based on an arbitrary definition.

Despite the dissenting opinion, the state has acted in it's right as a court of arbitration and delivered an opinion that protects the rights of all people within the law as defined by congress. It has acted completely within the framework of the constitution and done it's job.

lake

lake

OMGZ I LUUUUV AE!!!

• 717 posts

CIevfkdUMAIQ6YH.jpg

The State of California would like to congratulate the SCOTUS on it's decision today. Welcome.

Signature.png

To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift.

Steve Prefontaine

zipp

zipp

POLARIS ALLIANCE #1 FAN

• 3,340 posts

User's Awards

Yay America.
Looking at you Abbott....

GcveK9y.png

f5RRaJZ.png

I want my gays illegal and my racism married

Stevphfeniey

Stevphfeniey

Bad m*****f*****

• 4,249 posts

https://en.wikipedia...otection_Clause

The Equal Protection Clause is part of the Fourteenth Amendment to the United States Constitution. The clause, which took effect in 1868, provides that no state shall deny to any person within its jurisdiction "the equal protection of the laws."

The Best Discord Server

ZA TP Fan

ZA TP Fan

AE Player

• 60 posts

User's Awards

Sorry to be a little of topic, but what I do find nice is how many of the major US Legacy carriers have responded and promoted these changes.

As a South African, whilst in many ways my country has areas to be worked upon, one thing that I'm proud of is our LGBT rights, but it should be noted whilst Rights are great, attitudes are the real determinants of change.

FNsig.png

Hake.

Hake.

Too Old For All This Jazz

• 4,295 posts
  • Skype Name:billfoster123

User's Awards

As a South African, whilst in many ways my country has areas to be worked upon, one thing that I'm proud of is our LGBT rights, but it should be noted whilst Rights are great, attitudes are the real determinants of change.

Until 25 years ago you were led by white supremacists, your country has made good progress which should not be overlooked. Police brutality however is a bigger matter. It surprises me that only 22 countries have legalised equal marriage, even a lot of Europe is lagging behind.

1745-you-are-gay.jpg

PatriotsBruins&RedSox

PatriotsBruins&RedSox

AE Player

• 83 posts

http://www.nola.com/...ation_sa_1.html can they actually do this?

MAL

SirMoo

SirMoo

Rawr?

• 497 posts

Until 25 years ago you were led by white supremacists, your country has made good progress which should not be overlooked. Police brutality however is a bigger matter. It surprises me that only 22 countries have legalised equal marriage, even a lot of Europe is lagging behind.

Yes, but the UK and Netherlands sort of ****ed them over and just left leaving the blacks to fend for themselves against a racist government... Then when they left they exchanged a pro-white racist government for a corrupt pro-black one that has little clue as to what to do (but I guess it's better than Zimbabwe...)

Needs more unity and less cultural divide (as does most of Africa). A unifed pro-South African government (not pro one race) would be nice.

http://www.nola.com/...ation_sa_1.html can they actually do this?

Well, sort of yes. It will get fixed by the lower court. It's not actually a big deal. Lower court will point to the ruling by the Supreme Court... Then close the chapter. Most of the stays will be this way. Technically this ruling only affected like... what? 8 different court cases?

LockheedTristar

LockheedTristar

Trijets

• 285 posts

User's Awards

Certain parts of Alabama have outlawed marriage completely so homosexuals can not get married. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users