How do you run your airlines?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

Viero

Viero

Data Collector

• 231 posts

User's Awards

I thought this would be an interesting topic to bring up, seeing that there's a large variety of approaches and themes behind the airlines of this game.

Personally most of my airlines tend to be mainline, transatlantic airlines operating from large-medium hubs, although I throw a number of other airlines in the mix. A majority of my airlines are set at airports with locational limits (Dynasty Pacific and Macau Pacific at HKG and MFM, Aquarius Tahiti at PPT, FijiAir at NAN, Greenlandfly at SFJ, etc.) or political limits (Formosair at TPE, Al Israel at TLV, Cubavia at HAV).

I run my airlines in a sort of "AElism", I set up flights from my hubs (which usually number no more than 3) to all the airports that could be realistically served in a reasonable distance. The fleet types tend to be streamlined with realistic/semi-realistic seating configs, and I use fleet types that some real airline in the country my airline is based in has used some time in the past or present. I tend to set flights in factors of 7 for organization (unless they're at a very small airport), and really don't worry about utilization times, but don't try to squeeze every hour out of my planes.

What are your thoughts, how do you run your airlines and what kind do you use?

Posted Image

Posted Image

Stevphfeniey

Stevphfeniey

Bad m*****f*****

• 4,249 posts

i make it a lot harder for myself than necessary. after a point, AE got too easy, so i keep costs up and revenue down to really have to think about what i do.

5gpeaEv.png

please don't kill us we're just the aquabats

The Best Discord Server

dieseltu

dieseltu

AE Luver

• 436 posts

User's Awards

Full Speed ahead, man the torpedoes, Damn the passengers!!! , Death to all warmonkeys, Show no quarter!!!.

Tesla

Tesla

Inactive

• 2,392 posts
I try to run airlines that balance not annoying the consumer with maximal revenue. For instance, my IFE has a $10 unlock fee, but then the food (which is paid as well) is the best in the industry (popular national specialities such as macaroni cheese and spaghetti bolognaise)

TNT88

TNT88

Hates Pedo

• 3,461 posts

User's Awards

2    14       71      

Spamlines, pretty obvious.

Hake.

Hake.

Too Old For All This Jazz

• 4,295 posts
  • Skype Name:billfoster123

User's Awards

I set up what and when I feel like it, so I have a variety of them.
Aqualantic is an Irish carrier, waiting for funds to do Long Haul.
Flybee is a scummy British airline which is trying to go all ULCC and charter.
Citysaver is a Jamaican scamline.
Luxsaver is also a scamline.
Derry Air is a nice airline. Northern Irish flag carrier if one existed, try to run it realistic to an extent.

KJS607

KJS607

The O.G. Savage

• 3,860 posts

User's Awards

6       3   

Airtours - It's all in the name, package holiday charter carrier, low route frequencies to many small holiday destinations while higher frequencies and widebody aircraft to major european resort destinations. 3 star all-economy service. 29"-31" legroom. Staff paid just below industry average. Aircraft used at least 15 hours a day.

Anglo - London's Premium airline. 4 star economy and 5 star upper class service. 34" legroom minima in economy. Staff paid well above average. Aircraft never operate more than 12 hours daily. Minimum 6x daily frequencies. 

Jettex - Like Anglo, but Swiss.

Fly ME3 - Emirates v2 but operating from Al Makotum to lower costs and avoid steep competition.

msg-1341-0-50048700-1680446869_thumb.png

I did a thing: thetravelsavage.com

Starosta

Starosta

Random

• 40 posts

Right now in Random Air (R1) I am trying to make Spain's skies an orange place.

Max Devo

Max Devo

Extra spicy memes

• 363 posts

I operate most of my airlines in the same way: Okay IFS (albeit with high prices), employees paid roughly the same as the industry average with low reserves, and an irregular spiderweb-looking map serving secondary or neglected routes with high demand, flown by mostly secondhand planes. However, there are a few exceptions and differences:

Prescott Airlines: U.S.-based; fits the above description. Has several "focus cities" across the continent, including Hartford, Detroit, Frisco, and Akron. Has a special handicap where no western aircraft are allowed to be operated--this means I rely heavily on Yakovlev, Tupolev, and Ilyushin for my planes. Airbus is acceptable, but only in limited numbers--I have one Airbus for every six Russian aircraft.

Osaka Air: Japanese. Currently working on homogenizing the fleet--I'd like to have just three aircraft types, one each for regional, short-to-medium-haul, and long-haul flights. Lots of domestic flights and more flights to North Korea than you can shake a stick at!

Air Akronite: U.S.-based. Not afraid to take on big routes. Plenty of activity on the East coast. Mostly homogenized fleet, with each aircraft flying only a few routes.

Jazz Wave: American ULCC that flies economy-only in high density. Only one type of aircraft so far. Scam IFS. Employees paid below industry average. Routes are charged at half the normal fare.

Air Koryo: Airline of Best Korea. One airplane in the fleet so far. Scam IFS and all workers paid way below average with no reserves. I'm only doing this because I'm ending every month in the red right now. If and when things change I'll bump up salaries and such.

tumblr_nfjii5i0Ky1sorz3uo1_250.jpg

P_E_Ts

P_E_Ts

AE Player

• 33 posts
I like to create airlines in areas that have little to no competition. My regional greek airline is the first somewhat realistic airline as far as ifs and utilization is concerned. I have operated airlines fro Estonia and Albania in the past, and I plan to create a new airline out of Georgia (the country) in a couple of game years in R6.

DUMBΛSSΛΞRO

DUMBΛSSΛΞRO

PEPPY SHITHEAD

• 136 posts
  • Skype Name:ABSOLUTE TRASH

User's Awards

I run my airline in the sloppiest way possible, but I noticed a pattern. Phase one: the airline is a small regional carrier with props, "water and crackers" service (of course it's free) and under 500mi random routes, IDC about the staff thingies, left untouched.

Phase two, LCC; by this time I got bored with the regional plan and decided to step ahead, buying jets and start flying to tourist cities, also messing around with the others, slightly better service with "tuna sandwich and juice", more staff reserves, still all economy (not cramped).

Rarely I get to phase three, full service international with fancy destinations and such; because of two reasons: I don't like to have mixed class service, just too many things to take care of, or I went bankrupt.

hMY9hX9.png                                                    

iquit

iquit

AE Luver

• 296 posts

User's Awards

6       3    7   
I don't run my airlines, I just ruin others airlines.

dazwalsh

dazwalsh

• 438 posts
My jet eire has a similar sort of setup to aer lingus, but a larger version with more long haul. I go for realism and try to run it as lean as possible (38% yield at the moment) It gets a bit boring after a while because of lack of Irish airlines to compete with. :(

next time I will base elsewhere, might go on an all out European wide low cost monster with hundreds of aircraft. See if I can't get high up the leaderboard.

Tesla

Tesla

Inactive

• 2,392 posts

I run a balance. My aim with airlines is to ethically push the limits. For instance, JetBlue runs 14 hours daily, I try to push that to 15-16 (some of my 757s run just 8) , and Low-cost on short-haul and overboard full-service on long-haul. Freshly made sandwiches are sold on all flights. In essence, borderline between realistic and spam. 

konj1

konj1

whatever

• 562 posts

User's Awards

3       3    3      

Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women. 

TheGreatOP

TheGreatOP

TheGreatOP

• 193 posts
  • Skype Name:TheGreatOP

Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women. 

... Sexist?

joaovfmachado

joaovfmachado

Azul Fever

• 8 posts

I own Abraço Linhas Aéreas (in English, Hug Airlines) in Brazil.

I try to earn money as much as I can, but making a nice service for the passengers.

My airline just started, so it has 3 Airbus A320-200 that are used 19.38 hours per day. Not very realistic, but it's okay. They have 174Y seats, just like TAM Airlines. All seats have Audio and Video On Demand, Video Games and Flight Tracker for $1. Time between ads is 1 hour, so I think it's fine. 

Routes up to 2500 miles have Experiência Abraço Economy (Abraço Economy Experience) - snacks of three qualities with a max profit of $1 per snack. There are no accessories.

Routes above 2500 miles (until now, just São Paulo/Campinas-Aruba) have Experiência Abraço Economy Internacional (Abraço Economy International Experience). All foods that I serve - three qualities - have a max profit of $2, except for the worst - it's free.

All accessories I sell (Pillows, Blankets, Newspapers and Comfort Kits) have a max profit of $2.

I hope I lease more A320s soon to serve more destinations from my hub, VCP (Viracopos/Campinas Airport).

http://ae31.airline-...3r0&player=3203 :)

konj1

konj1

whatever

• 562 posts

User's Awards

3       3    3      

... Sexist?

lol, no, far from that... I just remembered a dumb movie quote ;)

eAj5i.jpg

TheGreatOP

TheGreatOP

TheGreatOP

• 193 posts
  • Skype Name:TheGreatOP

lol, no, far from that... I just remembered a dumb movie quote ;)

eAj5i.jpg

Yeah that's my point, most movies are sexist - therefore most movie quotes are as well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users