Photo

BREAKING NEWS- QANTAS ORDERS 115 BOEING 787

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

airline55

airline55

• 1,198 posts
WOW

What an Order. The largest yet for the 787! 115 (firm & option) Not on Boeing's (redesigned) website yet. Breakeven anyone?

Link

P.S. Sorry for the Typo in the name. Now fixed.

[Edited on 12/14/2005 by airline55]

StephenM

StephenM

• 987 posts
  • WLM ID:srkm@eircom.net
What are they planning to do with those? Fly to every grass strip in the Pacific? :(

Maestro69

Maestro69

El Original Mod, AE Beta Tester

• AE Moderator
  • 4,010 posts

User's Awards

3    3   
Actually, around 20 or so will go to JetStar international which will be giving 4 A330-200s from Qantas. The rest will replace the domestic and international b767-300s in the fleet and the extra will surely be used to fly around Asia and North America from not only Sydney but other airports around the country.

Btw, the ordered the B787-8 and B787-9 variants. No B787-3s which would have been ideal for CityFlyers services....

Atlantic_Air

Atlantic_Air

• 846 posts
stupid Qantas :(

I was hoping to see them on more airbus a/c

StephenM

StephenM

• 987 posts
  • WLM ID:srkm@eircom.net
I would think that the A380 delays were a major factor in this decision. :(

Atlantic_Air

Atlantic_Air

• 846 posts
probably, i guess they want too make money, and make it now. even though i don't see a 787 flying out there on a tour right now.

piercey

piercey

I heart Embraer!

• 1,375 posts
  • Yahoo ID:pierceyohio@sbcglobal.net
HOLY SH!T!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Obviously 767s, but any news if the A330s are being replaced with these?

The only sweeter thing is if the 748 was ordered.

Atlantic_Air

Atlantic_Air

• 846 posts

Originally posted by piercey
HOLY SH!T!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Obviously 767s, but any news if the A330s are being replaced with these?

The only sweeter thing is if the 748 was ordered.

The A330's are fairly new, so if they were smart-ish they'd keep the 330's.

[Edited on 12/14/2005 by Atlantic_Air]

airline55

airline55

• 1,198 posts

Originally posted by Atlantic_Air
even though i don't see a 787 flying out there on a tour right now.

That makes Boeing more sucessful than airbus, they have to be approaching the breakeven line, and they have not even built one yet.

clegallez

clegallez

• 131 posts
  • WLM ID:christian_legallez@hotmail.com
  • AIM Screen Name:be Egypt's numb
WOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO :P WAY TO GO BOEING!!! :D this order makes RYANAIR's look small! :) well done Boeing and Qantas..I really think Boeing makes the best long-haul planes, Airbus will always be behind in that unless something big comes out of their factory (and I don't mean bigger than the A380, I mean more successfull...don't get me wrong, being European I want Airbus to be out there equal with boeing, but I think they already are in the smaller aircraft! CONGRATS again! :(

[Edited on 14/12/2005 by clegallez]

drv4truk

drv4truk

AE Winner

• Veteran
  • 2,273 posts
That is nice. If you think about it, Airbus and Boeing actually have done a good job on dominating the large aircraft market. If they were to put any effort into a regional 50-80 seat or 70-100 seat aircraft, they may get some more sales. The experience and technology they have means they could outclass some of the other regional aircraft already out there.

Maestro69

Maestro69

El Original Mod, AE Beta Tester

• AE Moderator
  • 4,010 posts

User's Awards

3    3   
I read that the A330s would be kept. However, the 4 A332s would be giving to JetStar to start in 2007 (not sure on the date) with international service, i would presume and be immediate replaced with B787-8s...

The A380s will be mainly seen on routes to LHR and LAX and possibly, SFO is the route becomes successful. Qantas would surely be ordering the A380s if it meets Qantas' needs and actually meets or exceeds expectations.

piercey

piercey

I heart Embraer!

• 1,375 posts
  • Yahoo ID:pierceyohio@sbcglobal.net

Originally posted by drv4truk
That is nice. If you think about it, Airbus and Boeing actually have done a good job on dominating the large aircraft market. If they were to put any effort into a regional 50-80 seat or 70-100 seat aircraft, they may get some more sales. The experience and technology they have means they could outclass some of the other regional aircraft already out there.

The reason Embraer is so succesful in the 70-110 range is because of the fact that they start fresh with every design instead of taking another plane and shrinking/enlarging it like B and A have done on several occasions.

drv4truk

drv4truk

AE Winner

• Veteran
  • 2,273 posts
Yeah, that's one reason the B717 was so under sold. It looks too much like a DC9 or MD for most companies. Such a pity to have to end production on a nice handling aircraft. :(

clegallez

clegallez

• 131 posts
  • WLM ID:christian_legallez@hotmail.com
  • AIM Screen Name:be Egypt's numb
Don't forget that the ERJ-ERJ 135/140/145 come from the 120 design! so not completely true there! More modern though, and no propeller :(

oh sorry..yes you are right, I thought you meant embraer family in general, but you were only refering to the 70-100 market, but we can still say that the 190/195 comes from the 170/175, exept different wing!

[Edited on 15/12/2005 by clegallez]

dyson_151_15

dyson_151_15

• 480 posts
Bring the 736/737/738/739/A318/A319/A320/A321 down here fast!
The 736/A318's would be ideal to replace the B717's.
The 737/738/A319/A320 would be ideal for a expanded Cityflyer network.
The 739/A321 would be Ideal for Jetstar (between East Coast and NZ.)

Also a few A343/A345's would be nice, esp. A345, but the B787's will do...
Also need a few B773-LR's...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users