Photo

Hubs specifically, passenger movement generally

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

JDD1062

JDD1062

• 3 posts

First off, I just joined the community this past weekend and I'd like to say hello. Currently have a couple airlines in R1. I chose this world because I liked the idea of starting an airline at the beginning of a long-duration time period. Any general advice for long-term success (or at least survival) would be helpful.

In particular, I'm wondering whether establishing a hub is practically useful? From reading the forums/guides/etc, I think I understand the basics. That is, the hub allows you to fill otherwise empty seats via connecting passengers from Alliance members. For this, you pay twice the gate fees and only get half the ticket price.

1) At first glance, this doesn't sound like much of a benefit. Is there a deeper benefit buried in the game mechanics that I don't know about?

2) Are hubs useful in a practical sense? Do you go out of your way to build them in a typical game? Or, more directly, will you do just fine never bothering to build one at all?

3) Does the presence of a hub artificially increase passenger demand from a particular airport? What I mean is, if a hub is a location where passengers are essentially "dumped" to await boarding on another flight, does the presence of these out-of-town passengers cause demand out of that airport to increase above its base value?

4) How dynamic are the PAX? If demand is X for a ATL-DAL flight but no such route exists, Will PAX instead fly a ATL-PIT-DAL route. In other words, do PAX attempt to find a route to meet their demand, or does the ATL-DAL demand simply go unfulfilled until someone establishes a P2P route?

Thanks, in advance, for your help!

sound_guy0918

sound_guy0918

AE Know It All

• 163 posts

Hubs create "connecting" PAX which pay half fare and will fill your empty seats (to a point).

They can help if you have a long-haul destination that won't fill up the plane you want to route there....e.g. the demand in Anchorage is only 25Y and you set a 3x weekly route that results in 34 seats.  Normally you would get ~27Y PAX and the rest of the seats would be empty.  If you make Anchorage a hub, you will get 27Y paying full price and 7Y paying half price.

Note this will mask any competition you may face...if ABC airlines undercuts you and steals 20Y of your full-fare PAX, your loadfactors will still show 100% as many willing half-price PAX fill the seats.

Tesla

Tesla

Inactive

• 2,392 posts

Hubs create "connecting" PAX which pay half fare and will fill your empty seats (to a point).

They can help if you have a long-haul destination that won't fill up the plane you want to route there....e.g. the demand in Anchorage is only 25Y and you set a 3x weekly route that results in 34 seats.  Normally you would get ~27Y PAX and the rest of the seats would be empty.  If you make Anchorage a hub, you will get 27Y paying full price and 7Y paying half price.

Note this will mask any competition you may face...if ABC airlines undercuts you and steals 20Y of your full-fare PAX, your loadfactors will still show 100% as many willing half-price PAX fill the seats.

Yeah. That's a bug.

Hake.

Hake.

Too Old For All This Jazz

• 4,295 posts
  • Skype Name:billfoster123

User's Awards

Yeah. That's a bug.

That's not a bug, that's logic.

JDD1062

JDD1062

• 3 posts
Great, thanks for the reply. I'll mess around with them a little myself for the experience, but does it have to be someone else's hub to generate the PAX or can I simply plop a hub down and have them magically appear?

Hake.

Hake.

Too Old For All This Jazz

• 4,295 posts
  • Skype Name:billfoster123

User's Awards

Great, thanks for the reply. I'll mess around with them a little myself for the experience, but does it have to be someone else's hub to generate the PAX or can I simply plop a hub down and have them magically appear?

It can be yours. In fact, you get more from your own.

JDD1062

JDD1062

• 3 posts

Cool, thanks again!

Tesla

Tesla

Inactive

• 2,392 posts

Cool, thanks again!

They should have seperate connecting and full fare load factors. So for instance, in that example, you have 34 seats, 7 of them are connecting so you get 20% connecting load factor, and 79-80% normal, so that competition does not get masked!

TNT88

TNT88

Hates Pedo

• 3,461 posts

User's Awards

2    14       71      

That's not a bug, that's logic.

That's should be a bug.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users