12 replies to this topic

Hake.

Hake.

Too Old For All This Jazz

• 4,295 posts
  • Skype Name:billfoster123

User's Awards

Hello.
I made this thread after a short discussion on carousel environmental issues. I want your view on:
1. Dwindling fish stocks
2. Combatting acid rain in Scandinavia
3. Renewable energy
4. Pollution in oceans
5. Recycling
I'll start off with my beliefs: I believe more fish farms should be built. Here, stocks can be maintained and controlled. I believe there isn't much that can be done about the acid rain, but maybe if France, UK, Germany, Poland and others signed a bill to reduce carbon emmisions by 10% even, that would help. I'm all for the use of renewables. Stick biofuel in your car, build large solar energy plants near Cairo, Tunis and Khartoum in the Sahara. This would provide local employment and sustainable energy. I'm also a believer in wave power. We need to develop wave turbines along the seabed by ocean currents. Eg. Off Irish, British, Canadian and American coasts. Once again, employment. 1 point that someone I know suggested was: Why not build Hydrogen Power Plants? At night, use excess electricity to go into large tubs of acidified water. This separates Oxygen and Hydrogen. This Hydrogen can be taken and burned in the day time. It's bi-product? Water. I think that a major clean up operation and awareness campaign should take place worldwide on effects of littering. This might make a small difference, but anything is better than what we have right now. I'm a lover of recycling. No downsides to it and also it means more space in landfills.
Thanks for reading.

Guest_Trans World Airlines_*

Guest_Trans World Airlines_*
  • Guests

No Recycle, be American

Randallator

Randallator

Train Fan

• 337 posts

User's Awards

No Recycle, be American

be green Irish :whip:

2rLn142.pngmsg-26818-0-86969200-1392319731.png

#aerlingus&ryanairworldbestairline

ar157

ar157

Resident Australian Arnimal

• 1,476 posts

User's Awards

Hello.

Hi.

1. Dwindling fish stocks

Meh, eat insects then.

Slow down the rate of farts in OG's house. Why do we only need to combat acid rain in Scandinavia out of interest?

3. Renewable energy

We don't have to restrict solar farms to the Sahara. We're building this: http://en.wikipedia....eek_Solar_Boost Possibly offering incentives to install solar panels in homes (or rather on the roofs). My house has 8 solar panels on the roof and we average about 5.5kW/day but on a good day, we can get up to 9kW. The electricity we generate goes back to the grid and we earn AU$0.60/kW however this was in the early stages of the Australian Government's scheme. Now if you install solar panels, you use what you generate and whats left goes back to the grid and you ear AU$0.02/kW (i think) 

4. Pollution in oceans

lets get a big jug, and pour the ocean into it. We then filter it through a big filter.

5. Recycling

Yeah that's what recycling bins are for.

Adam.Bomb

Adam.Bomb

The user with a past

• 513 posts

Ok I say we start an Ae campaign to recycle, use locally farmed organic fish fed local lake or sea lower class fish, buy organic human companies eggs, drink almond and soy milks, do not drink plastic bottled water, do not use easy dispose shopping bags use renewable ones, dont use synthetic fertilizer, follow local fishing and hunting laws, refrain from littering, use alternative fuels as much as possible use unconventional light-bulbs, support wildlife societies, invest in animal welfare programs, do not use excessive amounts of water, and publicly support alternative energies such as natural gas or coal. 

ChiJohnAok

ChiJohnAok

AE Know It All

• 147 posts
  • Yahoo ID:siebenburgenair
  • ICQ Number:609576981

User's Awards

9    5    2    4   

Hello.
I made this thread after a short discussion on carousel environmental issues. I want your view on:
1. Dwindling fish stocks
3. Renewable energy
4. Pollution in oceans
5. Recycling
I'll start off with my beliefs: I believe more fish farms should be built. Here, stocks can be maintained and controlled. I believe there isn't much that can be done about the acid rain, but maybe if France, UK, Germany, Poland and others signed a bill to reduce carbon emmisions by 10% even, that would help. I'm all for the use of renewables. Stick biofuel in your car, build large solar energy plants near Cairo, Tunis and Khartoum in the Sahara. This would provide local employment and sustainable energy. I'm also a believer in wave power. We need to develop wave turbines along the seabed by ocean currents. Eg. Off Irish, British, Canadian and American coasts. Once again, employment. 1 point that someone I know suggested was: Why not build Hydrogen Power Plants? At night, use excess electricity to go into large tubs of acidified water. This separates Oxygen and Hydrogen. This Hydrogen can be taken and burned in the day time. It's bi-product? Water. I think that a major clean up operation and awareness campaign should take place worldwide on effects of littering. This might make a small difference, but anything is better than what we have right now. I'm a lover of recycling. No downsides to it and also it means more space in landfills.
Thanks for reading.

Isn't there a possible conflict between your goal of renewing fish stocks and wave turbines?

Aren't there potential side effects of wave turbines?

There are with above ground windmills:

Above ground windmills have resulted in the deaths of birds in the US.

A large energy company recently agreed to pay a $1 million fine for killing birds with its windmills.

wind-turbine-bird-kill.jpg

Shouldn't there be concerns about the impact that undersea wave turbines may have on fish stocks and other undersea flora and fauna?

Co-founder of MB Global Alliance

MBGlobalAlliancebanner.jpg

Stevphfeniey

Stevphfeniey

Bad m*****f*****

• 4,249 posts

Have we considered killing all the humans?

please don't kill us we're just the aquabats

The Best Discord Server

Hake.

Hake.

• 4,295 posts

User's Awards

Ok I say we start an Ae campaign to recycle, use locally farmed organic fish fed local lake or sea lower class fish, buy organic human companies eggs, drink almond and soy milks, do not drink plastic bottled water, do not use easy dispose shopping bags use renewable ones, dont use synthetic fertilizer, follow local fishing and hunting laws, refrain from littering, use alternative fuels as much as possible use unconventional light-bulbs, support wildlife societies, invest in animal welfare programs, do not use excessive amounts of water, and publicly support alternative energies such as natural gas or coal. 

This does sound a bit unrealistic. I think we should just walk more, wait for the price of fuel to increase until it's higher than biofuel (because that is when people will start to change). You know, they can manufacture petrol for roughly $4 a litre. If it gets that high, that will be popular. Manufactured petrol is much better for the environment. So, I also think any large polluting industries should have filters on their chimneys. Ireland is one of the biggest offenders for using unrenewable resources. Everyone protests when wind turbines are proposed, we're too mild for solar panels. We still have the Gulf Stream and North Atlantic Drift though. I also think, as I stated, fish farms should be encouraged,

Isn't there a possible conflict between your goal of renewing fish stocks and wave turbines?

Aren't there potential side effects of wave turbines?

There are with above ground windmills:

Above ground windmills have resulted in the deaths of birds in the US.

A large energy company recently agreed to pay a $1 million fine for killing birds with its windmills.

Shouldn't there be concerns about the impact that undersea wave turbines may have on fish stocks and other undersea flora and fauna?

I haven't heard anything about this. Although, wave turbines are much smaller than wind turbines. I believe the are only 10 metres high roughly but I can't be sure. I would say the only problem would be barnacles growing on them. They are taken up to the surface every 3 months to be cleaned iirc anyway.

Have we considered killing all the humans?

If you have nothing to add to the conversation, stay out of it please.

FuturePilot35

FuturePilot35

AE Player

• 34 posts

Hello.
1. Dwindling fish stocks
3. Renewable energy
4. Pollution in oceans
5. Recycling
Thanks for reading.

1. Yes, I do agree with you and I think that more fish farms should be built. Also, we should practice Balanced Harvesting, as well as fishing only at a rate the fish can reproduce, as explained in this video: http://youtu.be/u9YOVuEQugE

2. Yes, there is nothing much we can do about it, and the solution you mentioned above is not practical and would be very difficult to achieve. 

3. The discovery of electrolysis has brought about many ideas of using it in power plants, unfortunately, it requires more energy to create that it actually produces.

4. Yes, a major clean-up operation should be held to clean up the oceans, but I think we should try to prevent it, rather than bear the consequences. One solution would be to do what supermarkets in China do - charge a small fee - 0.2 yuan(0.0325USD) - for each plastic bag you need.

5. Yes, we should recycle more. However, I think that the people just couldn't be bothered to find a proper recycling bin to throw their plastic bottles in, and also those jerks who throw all sorts of rubbish into recycling bins. It would be quite difficult, I should think, to get people to cooperate.

Stevphfeniey

Stevphfeniey

Bad m*****f*****

• 4,249 posts

The thing with recycling is that you can only recycle a particular item X number of times, so really all you're doing is delaying its inevitable trip to the garbage dump. That said, the point behind recycling is the principle behind it. It's like driving a hybrid car. We'd see much more benefit if we put more effort into completely degradable, yet sturdy packaging for items, or simply forgoing packaging on certain items. 

However, the obvious solution to human caused climate change is to remove the cause of the problem from the system - the humans.

please don't kill us we're just the aquabats

The Best Discord Server

Luft

Luft

IVIVI

• 1,213 posts

User's Awards

2          2   

You do realize you guys bumped up a 12 month old thread?

QITdCef.png

Hake.

Hake.

• 4,295 posts

User's Awards

You do realize you guys bumped up a 12 month old thread?

The environment is always relevant ^_^

FuturePilot35

FuturePilot35

AE Player

• 34 posts

The environment is always relevant ^_^

Well said, sir, well said! :clap:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users