Photo

City pair sorting

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

highspeed

highspeed

• 346 posts
When looking at your routes, you can sort on city pair.

However, "AMS ZRH" is a different pair than "ZRH AMS" according to the sort method used.

Guest_Nathaniel_*

Guest_Nathaniel_*
  • Guests
because its not the same thing!!!!

it sorts alphabetically and not by the route...

ZRH IS NOT THE SAME ALPHATEBICAL AS AMS

not a bug.

[Edited on 10/11/2005 by Nathaniel]

highspeed

highspeed

• 346 posts
I am not saying that ZRH is the same as AMS. I am saying that in a pair of airports the order of those two is not important, thus (AMS,ZRH) and (ZRH,AMS) are the same pair.

Guest_Nathaniel_*

Guest_Nathaniel_*
  • Guests
except thats not the sorting thing... when it says sort it goes alphabetically by the first city...

unless you want to spend time coding something that useless.. or just organize it a way you can... then go ahead.. but that is really not needed and it is NOT a bug

hhappel

hhappel

• 10 posts

Originally posted by Nathaniel
unless you want to spend time coding something that useless...

I must admit that I can't find it useless to mention that calculations could be done in a better way.

I personally think it's weird that a roundtrip route AMS-CPH with a given price will generate a different DOP compared to a roundtrip CPH-AMS. Same aircraft, same price, same competition... It just doesn't add up.

Why is it so hard for the system to sort the two designators before putting them in the database? That way, the beforementioned route would always be AMS-CPH - and no confusion is made... ???

drv4truk

drv4truk

AE Winner

• Veteran
  • 2,273 posts
If you set the route up to go from CPH-AMS, it will never be sorted as AMS-CPH. It is sorted by how you set it up. The only thing you are doing by sorting is showing departure city first in alphabetical order. It does not sort by destination city.

highspeed

highspeed

• 346 posts
If you already have a route AMS-BRU, and you add a route DUS-BRU (in that specific order!), then what is the departure city: DUS or BRU ? See, it is not as simple as dep-dest. That's because a pair is a pair, not a departure-destination.

And for that different dop thingy: two similar planes on the same route may also result in a different dop. I guess that's the load factor bug in action as it is hard to predict which one gets the better dop. Resetting prices on one plane will result in negative dop for your other plane, but not always.

But Nathaniel's statement is clear: the bug section is not for reporting bugs. This is not the first time he needs to shout that. Unless of course someone is actually playing the game: then we suddenly all become beta-testers.

Nathaniel: I try this once more: If it is not sorting on city pair, don't call it sorting on city pair. I don't give a [four letter word] how it is called in the database. If I, as a participant in this test, see (and I quote directly from the game!) "City Pair", it is not unreasonable for me to expect that this column is a city pair. And no, I do not need to program, or even be able to program, that behaviour. I also do not need to be a fully licensed life guard or even be able to swim, in order to notice someone is drowning.

drv4truk

drv4truk

AE Winner

• Veteran
  • 2,273 posts

Originally posted by highspeed
If you already have a route AMS-BRU, and you add a route DUS-BRU (in that specific order!), then what is the departure city: DUS or BRU ? See, it is not as simple as dep-dest. That's because a pair is a pair, not a departure-destination.

If you already have a route AMS-BRU, the route will always be sorted as AMS-BRU. If you add a route, DUS-BRU, it will always be sorted as DUS-BRU. Your departure city is the first city listed in the sort order. If you are creating routes out of a hub then it is easier if you use your hub city first and the the destination city.

At least for me anyways. I know it means that you have to scroll through 4-5 pages of routes out of that city to find what you want, but I'm not picky.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users