Foreign Ownership of Airport Terminals

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

Keelung

Keelung

Founder of Air Formosa

• 138 posts

User's Awards

I was wondering if we can change the original settings and build airport terminals in foreign soil since in the real world companies do own airport terminals in foreign countries. One obvious example would be Terminal 7 at JFK which is owned by British Airways, Terminal 1 is also owned by four different foreign carriers - Lufthansa, Air France, Japan Airlines and Korean Air. There are also many more examples but the point is, the restriction that airlines cannot build terminals on foreign soil does not relate to real life, so I think this has to be changed. Hope this would make the game fairer and more realistic.

Air Formosa - Aero
Air Formosa lite logo
Aero

Will101

Will101

Only Teardrops

• 1,683 posts

. Hope this would make the game fairer and more realistic.

May I just point out this would be another step to taking a realistic world to an open world. In all honesty I think alliance terminals are the way forward.

Northern

Northern

Data Collector

• Data Collector
  • 1,623 posts

User's Awards

2    2    4   

May I just point out this would be another step to taking a realistic world to an open world. In all honesty I think alliance terminals are the way forward.

I agree, it also makes it possible to fly literally ANYWHERE

banner_signature_northern.png

Keelung

Keelung

Founder of Air Formosa

• 138 posts

User's Awards

Great point, very much looking forward to that, we can try it like in AE 3.2

Air Formosa - Aero
Air Formosa lite logo
Aero

Sheepy

Sheepy

N/A

• 1,935 posts

User's Awards

Another step? There's been very little happening in realistic worlds to make them anything like open worlds?

At any rate, I semi-support this idea, as, via an offshore company, a terminal could be built anywhere.

We will end up with 500 terminals in Geneva, but at least then it'll highlight the flawed gate system. ^_^

Administrator of UnitedSkies alliance

and also a member of some other ones, but they're 2vip4u

Nexus8

Nexus8

Football Wingback

• 2,389 posts

User's Awards

Great point, very much looking forward to that, we can try it like in AE 3.2

It is going to be a part of AE 4

Signature%203.png

Keelung

Keelung

Founder of Air Formosa

• 138 posts

User's Awards

Though I still think that airlines should be able to build terminals on foreign soil which doesn't affect the fact that airlines cannot fly to other countries from this foreign airport in the realistic worlds. Unless we introduce the "via" system where airlines are allowed to fly from foreign soil to other countries with fifth freedom rights or open skies agreement, I don't see this going to affect our game play much now.

Air Formosa - Aero
Air Formosa lite logo
Aero

Ioh

Ioh

Baaauussss

• 1,649 posts

Though I still think that airlines should be able to build terminals on foreign soil which doesn't affect the fact that airlines cannot fly to other countries from this foreign airport in the realistic worlds. Unless we introduce the "via" system where airlines are allowed to fly from foreign soil to other countries with fifth freedom rights or open skies agreement, I don't see this going to affect our game play much now.

via system is planned for AE4

ADWAM.png

Sheepy

Sheepy

N/A

• 1,935 posts

User's Awards

Possibly we could allow this, but limit foreign terminals to only a few gates?

Administrator of UnitedSkies alliance

and also a member of some other ones, but they're 2vip4u

Keelung

Keelung

Founder of Air Formosa

• 138 posts

User's Awards

I don't think it should be limited, it should be more expensive.

Air Formosa - Aero
Air Formosa lite logo
Aero

Hake.

Hake.

Too Old For All This Jazz

• 4,295 posts
  • Skype Name:billfoster123

User's Awards

via system is planned for AE4

Some things I don't get about the via system would be: - can these be refuelling stops? Eg. LHR-SNN-JFK -do you pick up passengers? Eg. Going: LHR- DUB- JFK ( no lack of demand, just an example) and - how do you charge for tickets?

Keelung

Keelung

Founder of Air Formosa

• 138 posts

User's Awards

I think it can be chosen whether the stop is a refuel stop or a revenue stop when you set up a route. We'll see.

Air Formosa - Aero
Air Formosa lite logo
Aero

Keelung

Keelung

Founder of Air Formosa

• 138 posts

User's Awards

I still think that airlines should be allowed to owned terminals on foreign soil. Although this would make the "R" worlds different only by not allowing carriers to operate on foreign soil to other foreign countries, it is all the difference we would need between "O" worlds and "R". Besides, it will make the "R" worlds one step more realistic.

Air Formosa - Aero
Air Formosa lite logo
Aero

Northern

Northern

Data Collector

• Data Collector
  • 1,623 posts

User's Awards

2    2    4   

It would effect game play as;
Terminals are cheaper than gates
There is no competition for foreign slots, taking away the point of slots

I personally believe alliance terminals are the way forward or if this idea is implemented a foreign terminal limit

Keelung

Keelung

Founder of Air Formosa

• 138 posts

User's Awards

By division, yes, terminals are cheaper than gates, but they are more expensive to maintain when most of the time you would only need one or two slots to an airport. Airlines would have to be desperate or filthy rich to build terminals on foreign soil. Most airlines would only resort to this if the destination is a virgin territory and worthy of an investment. However, I do think that in AE's case it would be better to have alliance terminals which would differ with reality, On the other hand, as I have mentioned on other topics that AE should separate the concept of "slots" and "gates" as they are two different things. You need slots as a right to fly in and out of an airport and you need gates to board or deplane passengers. If these two were separate, we wouldn't be facing the problem of needing to build terminals in order to fly into airports as airlines would only be using the slots they need to fly into airports and time slots for using gates, they wouldn't be holding on to any unused and wasted slots. Plus separating "slots" from "gates" would make alliance terminals look more prestigious as to people building terminals as and when they like. I hope that this would be implemented as AE already has the fundamentals like how long a type of aircraft would take to use a gate, so I guess it wouldn't be difficult to make this work. Besides, the point of all this discussion is to brainstorm the ways to make this game better and more real, which I believe my idea will and so as yours of having alliance terminals.

Air Formosa - Aero
Air Formosa lite logo
Aero

Northern

Northern

Data Collector

• Data Collector
  • 1,623 posts

User's Awards

2    2    4   
But if an airline wants to kill another smaller airline, and there is no slots, they will build the terminal, it deletes the objective of the slots :/

Keelung

Keelung

Founder of Air Formosa

• 138 posts

User's Awards

I don't think you quite understand what I meant. Terminals and gates are supposed to be separate from landing slots (rights), which is what I hope will be implemented in AE. However, in this case where we are talking about a Realistic World, airlines should be able to build terminals on foreign soil like airlines are allowed to in the real world. If airlines build terminals on foreign soil, they would only be competing with foreign airlines or home airlines on the same route. They will not be allowed to fly to other foreign destinations from this foreign airport in a Realistic World unless fifth freedom rights come in in AE 4 then we would have to rethink our approach. Hence, I don't think this would affect the other airline on the same route much unless the airline is really, really weak. If so, it deserves it. Anyway, what would be the point of AE when there's no competition?

Air Formosa - Aero
Air Formosa lite logo
Aero

txaggie

txaggie

AE Know It All

• 157 posts

I was wondering if we can change the original settings and build airport terminals in foreign soil since in the real world companies do own airport terminals in foreign countries. One obvious example would be Terminal 7 at JFK which is owned by British Airways, Terminal 1 is also owned by four different foreign carriers - Lufthansa, Air France, Japan Airlines and Korean Air. There are also many more examples but the point is, the restriction that airlines cannot build terminals on foreign soil does not relate to real life, so I think this has to be changed. Hope this would make the game fairer and more realistic.

Pretty sure Terminal 1 isn't owned by the consortium. T7 is the only terminal in the USA that is operated by a foreign carrier. T7 has all of 12 gates and even has had some non-Oneworld airlines flying out of it.

The issue of building, owning, and operating terminals is a sticky one- even for domestic airlines in their native countries.

If we wanted to be realistic, you'd only be, if you got lucky, approved to fly about 10 frequencies max into any given foreign country and you would probably have no interest in building and owning a terminal (unless you could rent it out to other airlines).   :rofl2:  

As the poster above said already...I think community and alliance-operated gates and terminals is the way to go, and I'm very interested to see how its implemented. If not handled carefully, I think it has the potential of pushing realistic worlds towards open worlds.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users