Photo

The Next AF1? (SAM 30000)

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

airline55

airline55

• 1,198 posts
Well? we are getting close to that time again. The 707 was about thirty years old when President Reagan signed the contract for the two current 747-200s. Which, by my count are fifteen years old and using twenty-five year old technology.

So, this poses the question, what will be the next Air Force One Presidental Jet?

My thoughts:

747-400

747ADV (likely the 747-500 and what seems to be the best timeline in terms of development.)

I would say the 787, but it seems too small.

Mabey the Whalejet, but only if the president really needs more space. A euro jet as a national U.S. symbol would not sit very well with many Americans, considering the thing is made in France, our reluctant ally.

comments?

Jankstar

Jankstar

• 21 posts
its not the time to considere this question
the current one isnt old for an VIP plane, and development of af1 cost billions of dollars. The 747-200 may be old but the af1 is more than an usual airplan. the 200series is too old for comemrcial flight, but in vip service the plan as it self has a longer life time due to less start and landings.

The systems installed in the af1 make it unique.
it is a flighing communication plattform.

however, af1 never will be an a380
and an 787 might be possible, the smaller 707 did well service for a lon time

piercey

piercey

I heart Embraer!

• 1,375 posts
  • Yahoo ID:pierceyohio@sbcglobal.net
If the A380 is the next AF1, I will have my final excuse to be Canadien ;)

I'll wait 15 more years until I start talking about the new AF1.

WSHNationals

WSHNationals

• 764 posts
  • WLM ID:WSHNationals7@hotmail.co
  • AIM Screen Name:ttwttwttsrdmbadb
I'm thinking either 777-300 or 7E7. I think the president might be getting tired of the 747s ;):P:P:P

airline55

airline55

• 1,198 posts
true, but the 707 was replaced because it was too small (among other things) I was just saying, if the schedule is the norm, then we are nearing SAM 30000. The 747-200 was one of the most advanced planes when it was ordered in '81?, it is now a symbol of old things.

Also, you are right in saying that AF1 is a unique plane, but since 9/11, enev it's communications proved to be not enough. Most emergency or top secret communications are done via the Doomsday plane.

[Edited on 9/8/05 by airline55]

airline55

airline55

• 1,198 posts
WSH, true, but I don't think the 777 has ever had the dignity or commanded the respect that a twin deck plane has.

Axis

Axis

• 72 posts
A modified C5 or other large cargo aircraft would be big pimpin as jay-z says

dyson_151_15

dyson_151_15

• 480 posts
772er would be excelent, with the range and all...

wdleiser

wdleiser

• 141 posts
  • WLM ID:starallia_ceo@yahoo.com
  • AIM Screen Name:dougleiser
the 747 is a perfect plane as all the important electronic gizmos are located on the upper deck. On a single deck... there would be less space for the president to walk around and ponder.

Coeurlion

Coeurlion

• 349 posts
My vote is when ever Boeing's (with the Japanese) make their 350 pax LAX-CDG Mach 2.5 super cruise SST.

Even though I think Airbus will make it first due to the fact they're at the end of their current project A3XX(A380) where as Boeing is still in the begining phase of the Dreamliner B787.

I think it would be a large SST with custom state of the art Mach 5 (unoffical) engines. :cool:

airline55

airline55

• 1,198 posts

Even though I think Airbus will make it first due to the fact they're at the end of their current project A3XX(A380) where as Boeing is still in the begining phase of the Dreamliner B787.

isn't the 778 going to start flying in '07

g-w-r

g-w-r

Tycoon

• 328 posts
  • WLM ID:graham_w_r@hotmail.com
i would love to see it be the a380, but i know that will never happen.

simsmart

simsmart

AE Luver

• Veteran
  • 327 posts
Cessna! The government spends too much money.
I'm baaack!
Follow me on Twitter.

flightsimer

flightsimer

Senior Member/Beta Tester

• 507 posts

User's Awards

2    2   

i would love to see it be the a380, but i know that will never happen.

they were talking about it with airbus last year, but doubt they will go with it...

Cessna! The government spends too much money.

thats funny... but they wont go with cessna, they would continue with Golfstream

but actually, the airforce has already started looking at planes, and so far they are leaning towards the 747-8... since it will be coming alive in 3 years or so... the 747-8 will look great in those colors... thats gonna be one hell of a plane... as to the 787, or 777 no, they arent big enough... that would only give them two decks but with the 747, they will get 2.5, well more like 2.3... and they already have two smaller planes for him and the others, the 757 and 737...but so far the 747-8 is the main replacement being considered...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users