Photo

New or used

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

Burt Stormberger

Burt Stormberger

• 4 posts
Hi all,

I'm new to this game and was wondering if anyone could help me understand the advantages/disadvantages of buying/leasing new/used aircraft.

Used aircraft seem a much better deal on the surface of it as they are far cheaper but presumably there is some benefit in operating new aircraft over 10 year old ones.

Thanks.

Conor

Conor

Angry Irishman

• AE Moderator
  • 1,404 posts
Old aircraft are terribly expensive due to increased maintenance costs and increased fuel consumption. However if the aircraft is only a few years old go for it if it is on the used market. that way you get it straight away and a little cheaper.

Burt Stormberger

Burt Stormberger

• 4 posts
Thanks Conor,

So would a 10 year old 767-200 be more expensive to run than a brand new 767-200 or are you referring to older models compared with newer ones?

If so, is there any way of seeing how much more expensive?

Thanks.

Conor

Conor

Angry Irishman

• AE Moderator
  • 1,404 posts
Yes the 10 year old one would be considerably more expensive to run.

Click the aircraft ID, that should tell you its fuel flow and maintenance cost :)

Andi3579

Andi3579

• 2 posts

User's Awards

I understand the fuel flow, but could you please explain how I get an idea of the maintenance costs upfront before I purchase an aircraft?

Mr Tree

Mr Tree

AE Addict

• 886 posts
The older an aircraft is, the greater the maintenance cost. I suggest avoiding anything over 8 years old, but you should still be able to survive with older aircraft. I would recommend a lease of a newer aircraft. The payments won't kill you, and you will keep most of your cash. Watch the maintenance costs, and then buy from lessor.

pseudoswede

pseudoswede

Play to win.

• 403 posts

User's Awards

5    3      

I understand the fuel flow, but could you please explain how I get an idea of the maintenance costs upfront before I purchase an aircraft?

It's a rather simple formula (actually two) to derive. You should be able to figure it out with your existing aircraft. It applies towards all aircraft.

That said, I've yet to figure out the fuel flow penalty for older aircraft.

dazwalsh

dazwalsh

• 438 posts
its not that bad at all, the lower lease costs should make up for higher maintenance costs, stay away from anything over 15 years old though..

Snowing Airlines

Snowing Airlines

AE Addict To-Be

• 14 posts

User's Awards

I think that used aircraft are great for quick expansion, while new aircraft have a longer life span, and are good for slow expansion.

Thaifoon

Thaifoon

• 3 posts
I am fairly new to the game too, so have joined a few games to see how best to 'start off'. It took me a long time to work it out, but it seems to me that the quickest expansion is with leased aircraft. Providing you get a decent model and fly it on decent routes, you can easily cover the costs of leasing. Initially I start with a few aircraft around 10 to 12 years old. Then when they start to make money (like overnight the first night!) I move up to leasing 4 or 5 year old aircraft. After the next 2 or 3 days, when I log on I have a lot more cash, so I buy one of the old leased aircraft, sell it and lease a newer one - that is the way for me to upgrade the fleet. Then, I start to buy a few aircraft, either new or 2 year olds - that seems the best way to get value into your company and climb the rankings.

Mr Tree

Mr Tree

AE Addict

• 886 posts
I find that a good way to make additional money off these old aircraft is to sell them when the market for them dries up. If you hold them until none of the type are on sale, the market value increases to what they were worth new.

Javious

Javious

• 7 posts
Used, especially when starting out. I just checked a pair of my 747-200C's, both earn the same, one is 7 years old and the other 17 yeas old, both purchased used with a 10 year lease. The difference in total operating cost is $500,000 per month (7.346 mil vs 7.846 mil). The lease costs per month, New - $1.8 million, 6 year - $809k and the 16 year - $329k. For the same lease payment you could have 5 or 6 16 year old 747's vs 1 brand new one. O_O
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users