Virgin Trains removed from WCML

* * * * - 2 votes

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
24 replies to this topic

lshlarson

lshlarson

#1 Railfan

• 928 posts
This is about Virgin being outbid by First Group for operation of the West Coast Mainline (this is the UK train route between London - Birmingham - Manchester - Glasgow). This means VT will be shutting down.
Link: http://www.bbc.co.uk...siness-19264614
Honestly, I'm really gutted.. and disgusted. :/ I thought Virgin was a great company to be involved in the UK train environment. I'm curious about what you think. Have any of you ridden First's trains? Can you compare them to VT? What are your thoughts regarding this... and even privatized rail? Here in the US we obviously have 1 national train company (Amtrak) which is okay, but i've always wondered how it would be as they were before the 70s...private companies.. :P Any thoughts or comments welcome

And I sure as hell hope the Pendo's won't look like this XD
Posted Image

Edit - Just wanted to add I came across Sir Richard Branson's letter http://www.virgintra...nnouncement.pdf that he wrote to all associated with VT. Touching
Posted Image

Airwave

Airwave

-

• AE Moderator / Data Collector
  • 300 posts

User's Awards

IN YOUR FACE VIRGIN! YOU JUST GOT PWNED!!!!!!!!! :taunt: :taunt: :taunt: If it hasn't occured to you that I have a hate for Virgin Trains, please do not reproduce.

Tintinfan

Tintinfan

AE's No.1 Trainfan!

• AE Moderator / Data Collector
  • 1,249 posts
I was thinking myself of posting this. Anyway, I'll copy something typed earlier...

Well the way I see it is that virgin should have got it, they have had it and have proven to have a decent struture of management and can actually run the services well enough. They have proven they can run trains and have already got the W
CML thriving under their control and I think they should continue on with the fantastic base they have created rather than hand it all over the First, whom will come in with no idea as to how the structure of the WCML works and probably make a massive cock-up of the whole thing like National Express East Coast or just trash into like the did with the GWML. I have the feeling aswell at "East Coast" we might end up with "West Coast" aswell operated both by the DFT/Goverment.

First also seems tobe having a monopoly and In my mind are not great at running mainlines at all, however they are good at running ScotRail (with tons of help from them scots) and First Capital Connect.

At the end of it all, it just proves that in UK *cough*goverment*cough* loves to cock-up railways with passion.

***END OF RANTING ESSAY***

____

Aside from that, it didn't take long for https://www.facebook...TrainsWestCoast to grow...

AE Moderator | Globe Alliance Admin | AE's No.1 Railway Enthusiast

675143919b.jpg

Ioh

Ioh

Baaauussss

• 1,649 posts
Ive been on Virgin Trains and First Transpennine Express. Im assuming all first branches are similar, I am very dissapointed, when I went from Manchester Piccadilly to London Euston on VT it way really good, when I went on Manchester Piccadilly to Blackpool North I wasn't too impressed. A loss to the british railways :/

ADWAM.png

Royen

Royen

CEO Of Royen Airlines

• 1,566 posts
This does suck, even though I don't live in Britain, Virgin is an international brand with a great reputation, and I have never heard of First Group. It seems disappointing! -_-

we%20are%20vertice%202.png?dl=0

Sig.png

#gogolden2015 

james767

james767

AE Know It All

• 175 posts
On railworks 3 with the class 390 add on, it came with FGW train before they had them.
? O_O

Zmapper

Zmapper

1500-some days left...

• 437 posts
It looks like the WCML is no longer a Virgin for the First time. :P /badjoke

There goes CRAZY uncle Ron, BABBLING about the unsustainablity of multiple WARS. -Jon Stewart
Posted Image

Ioh

Ioh

Baaauussss

• 1,649 posts
If virgin cant have the WCML, then they should get HS2....when its finished. Its a reasonably similar route serving London-Birmingham in phase 1 and then Manchester and Leeds in phase 2, just no Glasgow, but try putting HST's through Scotland :sly:

I wonderz what firsts WCML franchise will be named. :P

ADWAM.png

M4matthew

M4matthew

M4Matthew

• 673 posts

If virgin cant have the WCML, then they should get HS2....

If they couldn't outbid to win the WCML, how on earth will they afford to win the HS2 bid?

BritAbroad

BritAbroad

Moderator and Data Collector

• Data Manager
  • 1,677 posts
First, let me point out that all the below is based on my personal experiences with the rail industry, mainly as a passenger (but also from reading in the media and also as an employee of an occasional contractor to certain TOCs - the latter gives me some communication with rail employees). I'm sure others have access to better information, and better facts, so feel free to correct and clarify, because I write purely as I see it:

I'll be honest, I don't see the problem. I have had problems with Virgin Trains on just as many occasions as I have with any other train operator. However, my opinions are formed with how they handle those problems. VT nearly always fails to deal with them in a suitable manner. I recall one occasion in particular where it took me five months to get a (partial) refund for a journey, where I got trapped in the middle of nowhere for five hours, thanks to VT staff advice and their poor management decisions, following a track blockage. I wrote to them about that single incident. They only replied a month later, after my third letter to them regarding that incident. They gave the same old denial that anything was wrong or that they were responsible. I wrote back to point out the facts that they overlooked/denied, and they didn't reply, so in the space of a month I wrote another few letters asking them to refer to my previous letter that they have seemed to have ignored. Eventually, they replied, but simply reworded their first reply, showing they had ignored the evidence and information I had given them! We carried on the correspondence for months, with me having to write three letters each time to get Virgin to reply. Eventually they agreed to refund my fare, but refused to accept fault or to apologise - stating that the refund was merely a "gesture of goodwill". I will point out to those not in the know, that if there's an infrastructure problem, the train operators are obliged to refund passengers, and in turn the train operators seek compensation from the infrastructure operator. I expect VT got their compensation, but weren't so keen to pass it on to me...
Its not the only time that they have tried to fob me off either.

On the other hand, when I consider First Great Western (a separate First Group franchise) I've found their immediate "incident response" to be pretty good (one example being coaches laid on within half an hour of a major line blockage, whereas Virgin had me wait four hours in a similar incident) and after-the-event complaints are dealt with in a swift and appropriate manner: You write once, they reply in a week or so with a refund, compensation or just a general apology, which ever is most appropriate.

People hold up First Capital Connect and First Great Western as two examples of why First shouldn't be running a rail franchise. Sure, their punctuality and reliability seems a little low on paper, but look at it this way - FCC and FGW both run on some of the most congested rail routes in the country. Not only that, but one morbid fact is that a third of all suicides on the UK rail network take place between Paddington and Slough - the critical stem of FGW's mainline and London suburban network. That in itself gives punctuality a major hit. In the extremities of its network, FGW (from what I understand) operates in fairly rural and under-developed/poorly invested routes. Given those bits of information, it comes as no surprise that they have poor reliability and punctuality figures. Customer satisfaction is fairly low for FGW and FCC is almost certainly down to the delays (and, in my experience, usually those delays are caused by the actions of British Transport Police, London Fire Brigade or Network Rail - not the colour of the train or the management itself). I seem to remember Thames Trains, Thameslink and WAGN suffering from similar problems and low customer satisfaction when they had the franchises that FGW and FCC have now.
Now lets also consider First TransPennine. I understand that it suffers from the same problems as CrossCountry (a former Virgin franchise). They are both relatively long distance operators, running through fairly busy hubs, crossing multiple timetabling regions and operating areas, but I understand that they have no timetabling priority in any of them, leading to longer journey times in general and regular delays. I would argue that this circumstance contributed to the poor levels of service that led to VT losing the XC franchise. In the same vein, I would suspect that FTPE suffers similarly low passenger opinion for the same reason. Also note that FTPE seems to be running expresses that have to be local trains too. An interesting concept, but leads to trains perceived as "slow".
With that in mind, I don't think its a good measure to compare passenger satisfaction on the WCML with satisfaction on the Great Western (includes former Thames Trains franchise), Thameslink, Transpennine and Great Northern franchises, which are all very different networks. In turn, I don't think its good to use differing passenger satisfaction levels on differing franchises as an argument for or against a particular TOC.

To those who have said that First has no idea how to run the WCML - I don't know: remember that nearly all of the current WCML staff will just put on a different uniform in the morning. Day to day management is unlikely to change, and the board will be taking advice from the same employee-advisors. I'm pretty sure that the successes that VT has had were most likely down to those permanent WCML staff. What defines VT as VT - the only factor that differentiates it from any other operator - is the board. VT's board is made up of people from a large conglomerate that seems to run its interests at arms length, leaving the actual management to its partners (Virgin - I mention the way they run things to note that they aren't a major rail powerhouse - its not a criticism) and a bus company that, in my experience, is pretty bad at running buses (Stagecoach). Yet if they managed to pull the WCML off, then whats to stop First pulling something out of the bag, if they replace that board, and considering the number of other rail franchises it operates?

Now its true, the WCML benefitted greatly from Virgin motivation and investment - I remember the old WCML - slow locomotive hauled trains with an odd and irregular service pattern. With Virgin's lead, we've seen a lot of investment and progress made on the WCML. But do note that ultimately the new trains (faster but also much less comfortable) are bought and owned by the ROSCOs (companies that lease trains to rail operators - they won't change with the franchise) and the infrastructure is owned and maintained by the state (via Network Rail).
I'm not dead against Virgin Trains, nor am I supporter of First - I just don't think they are as wonderful as has been made out (nor is First as bad as has been made out) by those "mourning" the loss.

First put in a big offer - the Government bought it. Lets face it, the treasury is as good as empty, and cuts are being made across the board. As we've seen with universities, we'll be seeing a transfer of financial burden from state subsidy to those who actually use the services. Its no wonder that the government wants the big offer. I don't know if First will flounder as a result of that, as some have predicted. Its one of the largest and seemingly most successful transport companies in the UK. Its also based in Scotland, meaning that it seems likely to me that the Scottish government will subsidise it to improve cross-border services. The ECML has seen a string of problem operators and has been renationalised: but remember that they were being run by much smaller companies, that were newcomers into the rail industry - small fish in a big pond (SeaContainers - a shipping company, and National Express - a coach and commuter company). I don't expect First to go the same way.
I can't help but thinking that the bad press and feeling seems to be drummed up by VT and Richard Branson being a bit of a sore loser...

Also, just to comment on a few things above:

Have any of you ridden First's trains? Can you compare them to VT?

I may be reading too much into it - but just to confirm that you are aware - aside from paint scheme, the trains themselves probably won't change. They are leased to the franchise operator by other companies (usually subsidiaries of large banks).

I wonderz what firsts WCML franchise will be named. :P

They have registered "Horizon" with Companies House - but that will be the registered name, not necessarily the name it will trade under. I suspect they will stick to FirstGroup form and go with "First West Coast". They may even resurrect the name "First North Western" - anybody remember them?
Or they may even run the WCML and GWML as separate units under the same brand - using the First Great Western brand. Geographically, it fits - even if we "lovingly" refer to that as "Worst Late Western". :P

Ive been on Virgin Trains and First Transpennine Express. Im assuming all first branches are similar, I am very dissapointed, when I went from Manchester Piccadilly to London Euston on VT it way really good, when I went on Manchester Piccadilly to Blackpool North I wasn't too impressed. A loss to the british railways :/

There will be significant service differences between a relatively short "local" route, and a long distance mainline route. I don't suspect for a minute that the WCML will be run in the same way as the regional or suburban franchises are (FTPE and FCC).

Edited by BritAbroad, 16 August 2012 - 11:57 PM.
Minor clarifications

sagsmall.png

lshlarson

lshlarson

#1 Railfan

• 928 posts
Brit, in response to what you said, I meant more the level of service (i.e. refreshment on board, are employees courteous, services offered at stations, prices) etc. I'm aware the Pendos and voyagers will stick with First on the WCML.
Posted Image

BritAbroad

BritAbroad

• Data Manager
  • 1,677 posts

Brit, in response to what you said, I meant more the level of service (i.e. refreshment on board, are employees courteous, services offered at stations, prices) etc. I'm aware the Pendos and voyagers will stick with First on the WCML.

Ah, my apologies, in that case.
In answer to that particular question:
It wouldn't be fair to compare the likes of First Capital Connect or the local suburban routes of First Great Western with potential service on the WCML, so for the purposes of this comparison, I'll answer referring only to the long distance high speed services of FGW.

On FGW, the trains themselves are older, but still capable of the same or similar speeds, and are generally much more comfortable (and quieter than the Voyagers) to ride. They experimented with some DMUs, but thankfully they were replaced with older cascaded IC125s. Sadly, when First comes into the WCML, we'll end up stuck with the Pendolinos and Voyagers, rather than proper locomotive hauled trains, but I guess that isn't not really First's fault.

Thinking about service levels in particular: there's not much difference in the main, between First GWML and Virgin WCML services. Picking up what you mentioned:
Thinking about staff: Rail staff are rail staff. You get some good, some bad. Many have been in the job since the nationalised BR days, and nothing much seems to have changed for them. I've found that FGW staff seem to have a higher morale than their counterparts at VT, but that may be limited to the few individuals that I've met. FGW trains seem to have more on-board crew, but then that might be due to the operational requirements of the specific trains, rather than a "customer-minded decision".
Regarding refreshment on board: There's not much difference in prices and services available to standard class. Both FGW and VT have trolleys that move through the carriages, selling cold snacks and hot and cold drinks, and a "buffet" selling a slightly wider range than the trolleys including some hot food. Prices are higher than I'd like, but thats what you expect on a train where you are captive market. From memory, FGW and VT both use the same caterers to provide the food that they sell, and their prices are similar.
Thinking about fares: Most fares are regulated in the UK - set by the government without difference across operators. The difference may be in advance fares that you buy from operators, which limit you to a particular train. I rarely use these, so I can't comment.
Finally, services at stations: The terminal and principle stations are run and managed by Network Rail directly. That won't change with franchise. The intermediate stations are similar across most of the UK network. Obviously, a category E station won't have the same facilities as a category B station, but a First category B station is similar to a EMT, VT or EC category B station, and that applies across all of the categories.

In all honesty - under the current system of franchising, the passenger will rarely see any benefit or change as a result of a new franchisee. The only real changes are at board level management, the colour of the trains and the uniforms of the staff. The benefits and "competition" in our privatised network takes place in the boardrooms of the DfT, when the companies bid for franchises.

The big plus for First, in my view, is that they currently have Pullman services, have at-seat dining in first class (as in a waited meal, rather than snacks from a trolley) and sleeper services. If they could take some of that from FGW and put it onto the WCML, that would be a great improvement.

sagsmall.png

lshlarson

lshlarson

#1 Railfan

• 928 posts

Ah, my apologies, in that case.
In answer to that particular question:
It wouldn't be fair to compare the likes of First Capital Connect or the local suburban routes of First Great Western with potential service on the WCML, so for the purposes of this comparison, I'll answer referring only to the long distance high speed services of FGW.

On FGW, the trains themselves are older, but still capable of the same or similar speeds, and are generally much more comfortable (and quieter than the Voyagers) to ride. They experimented with some DMUs, but thankfully they were replaced with older cascaded IC125s. Sadly, when First comes into the WCML, we'll end up stuck with the Pendolinos and Voyagers, rather than proper locomotive hauled trains, but I guess that isn't not really First's fault.

Thinking about service levels in particular: there's not much difference in the main, between First GWML and Virgin WCML services. Picking up what you mentioned:
Thinking about staff: Rail staff are rail staff. You get some good, some bad. Many have been in the job since the nationalised BR days, and nothing much seems to have changed for them. I've found that FGW staff seem to have a higher morale than their counterparts at VT, but that may be limited to the few individuals that I've met. FGW trains seem to have more on-board crew, but then that might be due to the operational requirements of the specific trains, rather than a "customer-minded decision".
Regarding refreshment on board: There's not much difference in prices and services available to standard class. Both FGW and VT have trolleys that move through the carriages, selling cold snacks and hot and cold drinks, and a "buffet" selling a slightly wider range than the trolleys including some hot food. Prices are higher than I'd like, but thats what you expect on a train where you are captive market. From memory, FGW and VT both use the same caterers to provide the food that they sell, and their prices are similar.
Thinking about fares: Most fares are regulated in the UK - set by the government without difference across operators. The difference may be in advance fares that you buy from operators, which limit you to a particular train. I rarely use these, so I can't comment.
Finally, services at stations: The terminal and principle stations are run and managed by Network Rail directly. That won't change with franchise. The intermediate stations are similar across most of the UK network. Obviously, a category E station won't have the same facilities as a category B station, but a First category B station is similar to a EMT, VT or EC category B station, and that applies across all of the categories.

In all honesty - under the current system of franchising, the passenger will rarely see any benefit or change as a result of a new franchisee. The only real changes are at board level management, the colour of the trains and the uniforms of the staff. The benefits and "competition" in our privatised network takes place in the boardrooms of the DfT, when the companies bid for franchises.

The big plus for First, in my view, is that they currently have Pullman services, have at-seat dining in first class (as in a waited meal, rather than snacks from a trolley) and sleeper services. If they could take some of that from FGW and put it onto the WCML, that would be a great improvement.

Thanks for the insights Brit. I think Pullman on the WCML could certainly be interesting. I'm curious, do they do pullman high-speeds, or DMUs or "proper" loco-hauled consists?
Posted Image

BritAbroad

BritAbroad

• Data Manager
  • 1,677 posts
The Pullman services are "proper" trains, in that they are part of the FGW IC125 trains. They aren't a particular train, but a service offered on board a select number of timetabled trains. Two or three first class style carriages are set out in Pullman restaurant "style", and passengers can go in and sit down for an (expensive) but high quality meal. I haven't tried it myself, but I've been told that the prices are equivalent to a decent upmarket restaurant and the service and food are to that same standard too - they have a proper chef and dedicated "Pullman" staff. And you get to see the lovely countryside of the English West scrolling past.

Currently, I think there are two up (lunchtime) and two down (dinner) trains on the GWML each day.
Further to that, FGW has a "travelling chef" service, seemingly on most, if not all, of their long distance services. Its not quite the standard of the Pullman service (and the price is lower to reflect that), but you get a meal cooked on board and to order and served at your seat if your in first class, and to take away if your in standard class. I have sampled the latter - it was pretty good for what it was.

The more I think about it, the more First feels like the right choice for the WCML - FGW is the only TOC to still have many of the old-fashioned things that put "romance" into rail travel: sleeper trains and proper restaurant cars. That is a stark contrast to the Virgin airline-style "corporate" service and fleet. I do hope that can be shed off. I really don't understand people's love and nostalgia for VT.

sagsmall.png

Guest_Sir Richard Branson_*

Guest_Sir Richard Branson_*
  • Guests

IN YOUR FACE VIRGIN! YOU JUST GOT PWNED!!!!!!!!! :taunt: :taunt: :taunt: If it hasn't occured to you that I have a hate for Virgin Trains, please do not reproduce.

Hey :hmmph:

Ioh

Ioh

Baaauussss

• 1,649 posts
The petition has already reached of 100,000 which is required for it to reach the house of commons. Also:

http://www.bbc.co.uk...siness-19386005

:D

ADWAM.png

Will101

Will101

Only Teardrops

• 1,683 posts
virgin lost, they just need to get over that

Ioh

Ioh

Baaauussss

• 1,649 posts
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-19400412

ADWAM.png

lshlarson

lshlarson

#1 Railfan

• 928 posts

virgin lost, they just need to get over that

It's not that Virgin lost, it's that they and those thousands of people who have signed know that Virgin will provide a better service for the WCML in the future.
Posted Image

Nexus8

Nexus8

Football Wingback

• 2,389 posts

User's Awards

This does suck, even though I don't live in Britain, Virgin is an international brand with a great reputation, and I have never heard of First Group. It seems disappointing! -_-

I agree Virgin is known a has somemany successful businesses for a reason.

Signature%203.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users