Photo

Why not have a plane auction?

* * * - - 2 votes

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

Poll: Why not have a plane auction? (48 member(s) have cast votes)

Are plane auctions a good idea?

1. Voted Yes (25 votes [52.08%])

Percentage of vote: 52.08%

2. No (14 votes [29.17%])

Percentage of vote: 29.17%

3. In some worlds only (9 votes [18.75%])

Percentage of vote: 18.75%

Would leasing your plane out to an airline be a good idea

1. Voted Yes (43 votes [87.76%])

Percentage of vote: 87.76%

2. No (2 votes [4.08%])

Percentage of vote: 4.08%

3. In some worlds only (4 votes [8.16%])

Percentage of vote: 8.16%

Vote Guests cannot vote

Hake.

Hake.

Too Old For All This Jazz

• 4,295 posts
  • Skype Name:billfoster123

User's Awards

I think that plane auctions could be a good idea if they were introduced because some planes could sell for a lot ( especially if its the only type available in the markets) or you could pick up a good bargain. And another idea, sell of lease contracts so that you can operate another airline's plane and make some money off it. Does anyone agree?

Angus

Angus

• 454 posts

User's Awards

No to the first question but a big yes to the second one! Maybe even have some players be lessors and financiers.

Brando

Brando

• 499 posts
yea, lessor companies are planned

KJS607

KJS607

The O.G. Savage

• 3,860 posts

User's Awards

6       3   
WIKI! :rant: :giggle:

msg-1341-0-50048700-1680446869_thumb.png

I did a thing: thetravelsavage.com

Yuxi

Yuxi

AE Developer

• AE Developer
  • 4,365 posts
With most large airlines having virtually unlimited cash, the dynamics of this kind of system would be interesting to watch. :popcorn:

However, it's a nifty idea and might have a place in AE 4... :shifty:

Delta-Northwest

Delta-Northwest

AE Viking!

• Data Manager
  • 705 posts

User's Awards

3    3    2   

With most large airlines having virtually unlimited cash, the dynamics of this kind of system would be interesting to watch. :popcorn:

You removed the shares system... so you could just remove this one too if it get out of hand? :P

Edit: With you i mean the AE dev team :P (At the time of removal)

Edited by Delta-Northwest, 17 April 2012 - 06:14 PM.

Delta-Northwest  :viking: 

Mobeer

Mobeer

AE Luver

• 325 posts

User's Awards

8       2    2   
Might be interesting if say in the first 2 years of the 747 being available there were only 80 available (2/week for about 40 weeks in an AE year). These could then be auctioned off in batches of 10. I expect airlines would have to either pay big money or wait a couple of years whilst other airlines who bid more build a long haul service. Would also make it more competitive to buy or lease less cost-efficient planes if the unpopularity of those planes allowed them to be obtained cheaply.

Perhaps though this is more of an argument for demand based pricing than an auction.

Not so sure about sub-leasing planes. Might it become too easy for Alliances to shift around super cheap short term leases to destroy new startups.

the DOC

the DOC

AE King

• 1,845 posts

User's Awards

2    3    4    3      

However, it's a nifty idea and might have a place in AE 4... http://www.airline-e...DIR#/shifty.gif

And here we are 20 months later :whistling:

Airplanepilot501

Airplanepilot501

Private Pilot

• 57 posts

I support leasing directly to another airline witch is better then the plane siting on the market for a long time. And it is a grate way to make cash. But the actions is questionable.  

1312Low-plane-landing.gif

jmOio.jpg

the DOC

the DOC

AE King

• 1,845 posts

User's Awards

2    3    4    3      

I support leasing directly to another airline witch is better then the plane siting on the market for a long time. And it is a grate way to make cash. But the actions is questionable.  

That's coming in AE4 (although I can't be certain AE4 is coming in our lifetime)

mxax-ai

mxax-ai

OMGZ I LUUUUV AE!!!

• 585 posts

User's Awards

3    3      

Regarding the 'no'-votes, I wonder what speaks against this idea?

the DOC

the DOC

AE King

• 1,845 posts

User's Awards

2    3    4    3      

As I say, it makes it easier for spamlines

mxax-ai

mxax-ai

OMGZ I LUUUUV AE!!!

• 585 posts

User's Awards

3    3      

As I say, it makes it easier for spamlines

While this is an old thread, the market's full of aircraft anyway once you're past the 10-year mark. A spamline could buy it all up today. It would rather lead to different spamlines competing for used aircraft leading to a loss of money and slower growth.

Guest_Eastwind CEO_*

Guest_Eastwind CEO_*
  • Guests
Yet again. Another year and a half old topic brought up

Hake.

Hake.

• 4,295 posts

User's Awards

Yet again. Another year and a half old topic brought up

Yeah, sorry about that. I added a link to it on my revised auction 2 or 3 weeks ago
Yet for some reason they're discussing my primitive idea.

the DOC

the DOC

AE King

• 1,845 posts

User's Awards

2    3    4    3      

While this is an old thread, the market's full of aircraft anyway once you're past the 10-year mark. A spamline could buy it all up today. It would rather lead to different spamlines competing for used aircraft leading to a loss of money and slower growth.

If aircraft X is up for auction and Y is just on the market for sale and both are the same aircraft type and worth $20 million. 

Let us say that bidding for X begins at $15 million. I bid 16 and somebody else bids 17. Then I bid 18 and they bid 19. Then I bid for its value of $20 million.  If the other person doesn't bid I have the aircraft for its market value but if the other bidder bids $21 million I can simply hop over to the used market and buy Y for its value. Either way I cannot lose unless I'm stupid or careless.

Hake.

Hake.

• 4,295 posts

User's Awards

If aircraft X is up for auction and Y is just on the market for sale and both are the same aircraft type and worth $20 million. 

Let us say that bidding for X begins at $15 million. I bid 16 and somebody else bids 17. Then I bid 18 and they bid 19. Then I bid for its value of $20 million.  If the other person doesn't bid I have the aircraft for its market value but if the other bidder bids $21 million I can simply hop over to the used market and buy Y for its value. Either way I cannot lose unless I'm stupid or careless.

Or there are none on the market, which is why the airline auctioned it in the first place :whistling: Say, a 2 year old B741 as the airline doesn't make money from it, or will be going bankrupt. That'll fetch buyers.

the DOC

the DOC

AE King

• 1,845 posts

User's Awards

2    3    4    3      

Or there are none on the market, which is why the airline auctioned it in the first place :whistling: Say, a 2 year old B741 as the airline doesn't make money from it, or will be going bankrupt. That'll fetch buyers.

The only time it would be useful is in the first few years but after that there isn't that much of a point

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users