Photo

Anyone know how to get in to the cockpit?

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

Mr Tree

Mr Tree

AE Addict

• 886 posts
Yeah, its kinda embarrassing once you're self-concious. Not that I know :P

benhasajeep

benhasajeep

AE Addict To-Be

• 17 posts
It's really hard now a days. Other than your own carrier (if your an employee). Most airlines will only allow flight crew to jump seat. My company allows our own mechanics as well as flight crew. But other than that. Nobody is allowed up there passenger wise while in motion.

NilsOlavThePenguin

NilsOlavThePenguin

Penguin

• 673 posts
Thats why i envy my dad. (Works as a mechanic for SAS) Everytime were out traveling and the plane is filled up we allways get asked if we want Jumpseats and hes the only one thats allowed on the cockpit one.

violetQueen

violetQueen

The Resident B!tch

• 584 posts
I managed to get into the flight deck of the 767 between ATL and DUB for about twenty minutes, the co-pilot (who was the captain) talked me through most of the instruments, he was impressed I was a pp myself and I could give decent conversation lmao.

Flirt and you'll get anywhere. ;)

I liked TW and it's gone. NW, and it's gone. CO, and it's gone. Pray I don't like you.

"How sad it would be, should laughter disappear."
Posted Image

Spoiler

Conor

Conor

Angry Irishman

• AE Moderator
  • 1,404 posts

Flirt and you'll get anywhere. ;)

Yes that will work for you, the majority of AE users chances are it might not ;)

violetQueen

violetQueen

The Resident B!tch

• 584 posts
Grow boobies and try it conor ;) Buy the guy enough drinks and stick a wig on :P

Though not if he's the pilot. Don't buy him any drinks.

That said, in this day-and-age, you might land a female pilot. Then you're quids in.

I liked TW and it's gone. NW, and it's gone. CO, and it's gone. Pray I don't like you.

"How sad it would be, should laughter disappear."
Posted Image

Spoiler

iSam

iSam

Globe Alliance Leader

• 204 posts
I got into a Thomson 737-800 cockpit after landing at Zante...all because I drew the captain a picture ( XD )

iSam

iSam

Globe Alliance Leader

• 204 posts
but I didn't have FSX then, so he asked me how to put the gear up, and I didn't even know what a landing gear was :|

I just called them wheels back then :P

egwrhw3rhwrh

egwrhw3rhwrh

Boeing Master Race

• 318 posts

User's Awards

Say "I'm Your Father". If pilot is stupid enough to believe you, it's your lucky day.

I got into a Cebu Pacific B752 when I was young :P It was awesome. That pilot was actually my dad's friend.

dmYeOVn.png

Oliy.

Oliy.

You what?

• Data Collector
  • 342 posts

User's Awards

looking at this topic name in the forum it makes you sound like a terroist lol

M.F. Ensembleson

M.F. Ensembleson

N717YX

• 1,101 posts
I have my ways of getting the F/As to do whatever I want. At first, I talk to them about the aircraft for a while, then talk about their job and so forth and they ask if I (being a harmless 13 year old) want to see the cockpit. I jump up and say that I'd love to... It works all the time. If you're not a adolescent, don't try it, because you will probably scare the flight crew...

"We do what we must, because we can."

Ensemble%20Holdings.png

Reintroducing Ensemble Holdings, commencing operations Summer 2014.

ArthurB

ArthurB

Retired member

• 426 posts
Hm...

In the 70's, when my mother was going from Belo Horizonte (PLU) to Buenos Aires (EZE) with stops in São Paulo (CGH) and somewhere in the brazil's south Porto Alegre (POA), my uncle flown in the jump seat all the trip. The 737 taked off from plu with +/- 8 passngers. This was common in brazil, because the airlines of the time had stupid CEO's, that put 737's in a country that in the time had a demand for a ATR :|

When I flown from CNF to MIA, in 2009, the AA's 767 captain was a very good man and permited to me see the cockpit. As he speaks portuguese, we talked a lot, and I took a picture ;)

After, in 2010, I traveled to Rio de Janeiro, and in the back flight I visit the cockpit (A 737-700, PR-GIM), and also talked a lot with the pilot. But my best experience in a cockpit was when i flown in a Vans RV-10, and the pilot let me make some curves :P .

The european pilots are cold like the winter. They don't left me visit the cockpit in CNF-LIS, but the pilot of ORY-LIS let me see the cabin, but he was mute like a statue.

sgmsig.png
772TAB(2).jpg

NilsOlavThePenguin

NilsOlavThePenguin

Penguin

• 673 posts
Well, sadly I didnt get ot see the cockpit in flight, but a fe months later I was with my father to work (He works for the airline I was traveling with as a tech) and the plane we were put on to work with wast the excact plane I traveled on. So I got to see the cockpit after all :P, plus the wheel well, If I were to get to see that in flight I would probably be classified as a terrorist :P

Kirkland

Kirkland

AE King

• 1,504 posts
I was boarding a Southwest airlines aircraft when the pilots asked if I wanted to see the cockpit. (2011 for all you people)

I did come in, I briefly looked around the cockpit (alot of "optional" stuff was missing like autothrottle) and then to my surprise, he asked if I wanted to speak over the intercom. For those who want to know, I am extremely shy in real life and I shook my head. All you guys are going to say I missed out.

The pilots asked again (wtf i was 13/14 back then and he treated me like 8) but I kept my decision and the pilot patted me on the back. Sometimes I regret telling my family that I do flight simulator because they always tell the pilots when I board the plane.

My family kept bugging me that I did the wrong decision, but It's not exactly my fault I'm shy. I swear I remember seeing the cockpit once before.

So....
If you are atleast under 18, I think you COULD possibly mention Flight Simulator or get someone to mention Flight Simulator, strike up a conversation, they get interested, show you the cockpit, and if you tried really hard you could probably get the jumpseat.

nWcLJH0.png

NilsOlavThePenguin

NilsOlavThePenguin

Penguin

• 673 posts
I'll try that next time im out flying.

Viking Air

Viking Air

AE Player

• 27 posts
Sadly after 9/11 regulations and airline policies changed a lot.
Most airlines allows only employees to seat on the cockpit jumpseats. Moreover many airlines doesn't allow anymore "employees-not-in-uniform" to get access to cockpit while passengers are on board, as this make many passenger nervous.

Delta-Northwest

Delta-Northwest

AE Viking!

• Data Manager
  • 705 posts

User's Awards

3    3    2   

Sadly after 9/11 regulations and airline policies changed a lot.
Most airlines allows only employees to seat on the cockpit jumpseats. Moreover many airlines doesn't allow anymore "employees-not-in-uniform" to get access to cockpit while passengers are on board, as this make many passenger nervous.

Well, it is the captain of the aircraft wich shall take the final descission on the request from a passenger to enter the cockpit.
So you don`t need to be an airline employee in uniform to get into the cockpit but if your employed by the airline it is much more easy to get a cokpit ride.

Delta-Northwest  :viking: 

Viking Air

Viking Air

AE Player

• 27 posts

Well, it is the captain of the aircraft wich shall take the final descission on the request from a passenger to enter the cockpit.
So you don`t need to be an airline employee in uniform to get into the cockpit but if your employed by the airline it is much more easy to get a cokpit ride.

Yes the final decision is of the capitain... but only to a certain extent!
The Aircrat Flight Manual identifies all jumpseats (in cockpit and galleys) as crew stations... so the decision of the pilot to seat a passenger on that seat (expecially for take off and landing) would be considered a "decision on the edge of the rule".
Moreover most airlines has issued operational bulletins to crews to regulate access to cockpit in flight. At this point the captain, still take the decision, but should have good reason to breack company directives...
And most of the time such bulletins also identify the permit to cockpit for airline employees (on duty, off duty....). And this is largely done when the plane is fully booked.
Some big airlines also restricted possibility to fly in the cockpit's jumpseat to flight crews and technical employees only, leaving administrative or ground personnel the possibility to be seated only on galley jumpseats.

NilsOlavThePenguin

NilsOlavThePenguin

Penguin

• 673 posts
Well, from what ive experienced personally they are a lot looser on the regulations in Europe than in North America. I still remember that my mother and my sister were allowed to fly Cockpit Jumpseat on Lufthansa FRA-OSL, Its all up to the captain, if he cant see any harm he will probably let Standby Ticket holders use the Cockpit Jumpseats.

clubeurope

clubeurope

Purveyors of Fine Chocolates

• 67 posts
I don't think it is still possible to go to the cockpit when the plane is flying because of 9/11. But I think you can ask the F/A wether you can visit the cockpit after the plane have parked in the destination or not i think you can rent a plane and ask to see the cockpit, but that would be kind-of money spending.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users