Copyright and Templates

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
41 replies to this topic

sviridovt

sviridovt

AE King

• 1,512 posts
  • Skype Name:tim.sviridov
I dont see how keeping the jetabout logo such a big deal), for me I am pretty neutral to this, that is, I dont remove the jetabout symbol from my liveries, however I also dont make efforts to recover original image if its damaged (sometimes, as part of my livery making process, the white in jetabout symbol is replaced with another color(example of which you can see in my signature) for example). My livery making process does not remove the jetabout symbol, however if it did, I wouldnt try to include it, however if someone asked me about the templates, I would never say its my own template and will tell them that its jetabout

SirMoo

SirMoo

Rawr?

• 497 posts
I really don't think I have much to say to Speed Bird that Brit and Yuxi have not already said. A list of what you can and can't do is not a hard task. Dealing with you is not up to me, but I figured expressing a legal AND moral side to what appears to be a growing issue might encourage the current staff in setting up ground work to actually fix what could become an even larger problem.

You pretty much left AE and you are still criticizing our staff...
Personally I'm pretty unaware of this (so I'm rather shocked that someone who has pretty much left AE knows more than me :P ), can anyone help me out here?

I'm not criticizing the staff at all. I have no problems with the staff at AE. My leaving the chat has nothing to do with the staff and me leaving the day I got my hour ban from 'stro was more of a coincidence than not. I started working on other projects and did not feel like returning. I do however have an airline. -points to it.-

But again, I apologize if it appears as criticism, but it's not. I don't see how you can construe me saying you're uninformed as being criticism. There is a lot that goes on when the the staff is not paying attention/around. I think Maestro and a couple of the other mods are aware of the recent issues that have happened regarding people not allowing others to use their templates based on alliance affiliates after they've given pubic permission. I'm simply bringing this to the more active light. Furthermore, I asked Brit (and others) to proof read my article to make sure I wasn't being too harsh or targeting anyone (a lot of things I say tend to be a bit... blunt).

I dont see how keeping the jetabout logo such a big deal), for me I am pretty neutral to this, that is, I dont remove the jetabout symbol from my liveries, however I also dont make efforts to recover original image if its damaged (sometimes, as part of my livery making process, the white in jetabout symbol is replaced with another color(example of which you can see in my signature) for example). My livery making process does not remove the jetabout symbol, however if it did, I wouldnt try to include it, however if someone asked me about the templates, I would never say its my own template and will tell them that its jetabout

Jetabout clearly states on their site that you must give them credit in some form. A logo or a link to their website IS credit. This complies with their copyright policy. They created the work and released it with the rule that you can do what ever you want AS LONG AS you link to them. Pretty simple concept. :) From what we can see in your signature you're following the rule. I really don't find it too much to ask and I doubt most people will. However, modifying the image then claiming the template as your own... thats where I really have a problem.

So does this mean I can freely use SB's 747-8I template with full credit to Jetabout and SB can't tell me to remove it???

If Jetabout created the template for which SB uses then you need to give them credit. It is also good to then give SB for the modifications he's done to it. You liked it enough to use it, give a bit of credit. :) BritAbroad has explained it well.

sviridovt

sviridovt

AE King

• 1,512 posts

Jetabout clearly states on their site that you must give them credit in some form. A logo or a link to their website IS credit. This complies with their copyright policy. They created the work and released it with the rule that you can do what ever you want AS LONG AS you link to them. Pretty simple concept. :) From what we can see in your signature you're following the rule. I really don't find it too much to ask and I doubt most people will. However, modifying the image then claiming the template as your own... thats where I really have a problem.

thats what I am saying, I dont delete JA logo, and dont intend to, however I also dont really care to keep it, since, if people are really interested they will ask. plus there is a templates thread sticked on this forum :/

Guest_Speed Bird_*

Guest_Speed Bird_*
  • Guests
Sorry Yuxi, I'm not allowed to state my opinion on the matter? I don't see at all how I'm 'ignorant' in doing so?

In case you haven't noticed, arguments are a part of life. If you can't handle a discussion where one person has a different view to another, then that's you who's at fault. I for one see this a pointless measure, and 'assuming others think the same' is frankly a rather likely occurrence with this sort of topic, based on various responses within this forum on similar matters.

Furthermore, oddly enough, I have no intention of learning copyright law. It not only does not interest me, but is no use to me, and many others at AE, most of which also have no need for it, when disputes can be resolved in other ways, without the needs to quote complex law, or have moderators intervene all the time. It occurs to me that users here rely far to heavily on the intervention of moderators, often biased in some way, to end an argument, which going back to my initial point, is a part of life. If you would bother to let users sort out civil disputes themselves, you wouldn't have the need for this use of copyright law in these circumstances.

One last point Yuxi, when you're tired it's often easy to miss out an 'm' ;)

9M-TKS

9M-TKS

• 888 posts
While I do somewhat appreciate someone posting this, getting members to understand it is another thing
Posted Image

First to fly - Airbus A350, B787-9 in AE8

Yuxi

Yuxi

AE Developer

• AE Developer
  • 4,364 posts

Sorry Yuxi, I'm not allowed to state my opinion on the matter? I don't see at all how I'm 'ignorant' in doing so?

In case you haven't noticed, arguments are a part of life. If you can't handle a discussion where one person has a different view to another, then that's you who's at fault. I for one see this a pointless measure, and 'assuming others think the same' is frankly a rather likely occurrence with this sort of topic, based on various responses within this forum on similar matters.

Furthermore, oddly enough, I have no intention of learning copyright law. It not only does not interest me, but is no use to me, and many others at AE, most of which also have no need for it, when disputes can be resolved in other ways, without the needs to quote complex law, or have moderators intervene all the time. It occurs to me that users here rely far to heavily on the intervention of moderators, often biased in some way, to end an argument, which going back to my initial point, is a part of life. If you would bother to let users sort out civil disputes themselves, you wouldn't have the need for this use of copyright law in these circumstances.

Clearly it is very relevant or we wouldn't be having this "discussion" in the first place. You stated you are ignorant about copyright law, and you reject important knowledge even when it's presented to you in a (relatively) concise post. I do not find it "complex" at all.

If you call yourself the "livery god" and threaten other members using copyright law despite not knowing it and refusing to learn it (a ludicrous situation seen from outside of your bubble), I feel sorry for you.

And I try to let users sort out their own arguments, except they usually devolve into yelling demands or hurling groundless legal threats at each other instead of any productive conversation. You can't claim to be a stranger to this environment.

In summary, when members threaten each other with ridiculous legal threats over liveries, there is a need to clarify the laws surrounding copyright. I do thank Moo for trying to resolve these conflicts the proper way. You can sit on the sidelines and bask in your ignorance all you want.

Stevphfeniey

Stevphfeniey

Bad m*****f*****

• 4,249 posts
We should start a 'Dumb Arguements Over Obvious Subjects' Hall of Fame

please don't kill us we're just the aquabats

The Best Discord Server

Guest_Speed Bird_*

Guest_Speed Bird_*
  • Guests
I'd much rather 'sit on the sidelines' than get involved in a complex muddle, mate ;) Anyway, have fun reading up on copyright law... not sad at all, eh :P

Yuxi

Yuxi

AE Developer

• AE Developer
  • 4,364 posts

I'd much rather 'sit on the sidelines' than get involved in a complex muddle, mate ;) Anyway, have fun reading up on copyright law... not sad at all, eh :P

Sad? Complex? That post's shorter than most of mine :whistling:

To each his own I guess :P

adityapratama

adityapratama

Indonesian Sub-Forum Moderator

• 1,067 posts
:|

in my opinion,moo is just trying to give us a useful information here. i think it would be better if we say 'thank you' to him instead starting all of this pointless argument :|

sorry SB, but i think your comments to this topic is a bit harsh. it doesnt matter if you disagree or doesnt care over the subject, you must admitted moo's post is very informative. even if it doesnt, i still think you should be more..... appreciative :)

Globe Alliance Leader

R1RDz7e.jpg

sviridovt

sviridovt

AE King

• 1,512 posts

okay seriously SB, you should stop acting as if you are better than everybody here, because frankly, its getting annoying. If you are good at making liveries, that doesnt mean that you could do what ever the hell you want on here, and consider everyone (even the developers) as lower then you.

Kirkland

Kirkland

AE King

• 1,504 posts

okay seriously SB, you should stop acting as if you are better than everybody here, because frankly, its getting annoying. If you are good at making liveries, that doesnt mean that you could do what ever the hell you want on here, and consider everyone (even the developers) as lower then you.

Exactly! :yes:

nWcLJH0.png

BritAbroad

BritAbroad

Moderator and Data Collector

• Data Manager
  • 1,677 posts
I think that the thread needs to be brought back on topic - posts like the previous one don't contribute to anything.

sagsmall.png

Kirkland

Kirkland

AE King

• 1,504 posts
Yes. Simple. Make a topic with all the rules of copyright and lock it before anyone can reply. :) Simple huh? :D

:D :D :D :D

nWcLJH0.png

iSam

iSam

Globe Alliance Leader

• 204 posts
I'm one of the best readers in my class and have a wide range of vocabulary, however I didn't understand a word of what SirMoo said in his first quote thingy. :P

SirMoo

SirMoo

Rawr?

• 497 posts

I'm one of the best readers in my class and have a wide range of vocabulary, however I didn't understand a word of what SirMoo said in his first quote thingy. :P

What don't you understand? :/ It would be hard to simplify things further. I figured NOT quoting laws and writing in 'Plain English' would make it easier for people. But you ARE weirdo...

Brit, I look forward to seeing guidelines yall set out.

iSam

iSam

Globe Alliance Leader

• 204 posts
actually, reading it again I understand it now. (sorry moo).

Guest_rojo.grande_*

Guest_rojo.grande_*
  • Guests

+1

Yuxi

Yuxi

AE Developer

• AE Developer
  • 4,364 posts

+1

Are you really going to pour more fuel on a fire from 6 months ago? <_<

sviridovt

sviridovt

AE King

• 1,512 posts

Are you really going to pour more fuel on a fire from 6 months ago? <_<

Its not like SB changed though <_< (or you can just enable the rep system again)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users