Photo

Did Penthouse Air activate the Navy Bug on BOS-LGA?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

Guest_travelnate_*

Guest_travelnate_*
  • Guests
On behalf of Empire, we fly LGA/BOS to keep aircraft cycles up and to use slots/gates.

LGA/BOS has always made money, although not a lot, but has been break-even, and sometimes a money looser. But how else do you guys recommend holding on to slots or filling 4 hours of time left on an aircraft?

Yes, we lowered fares to $75, this was after the $160 bug reset and had to "compete" as well. In regards to Penthouse at $69, big deal. S/he threw a lot of capacity at the market for *probably* the same reason. Penthouse has, however, only had 500 to 750 seats in the market, if even that much.

Scalpel4

Scalpel4

• 560 posts
  • WLM ID:scalpel4@hotmail.com
[/quote]
are you sure? [/quote]

With one exception . . .

[Edited on 8/10/2005 by Scalpel4]

botachelli

botachelli

• 32 posts
Scalpel,
Relax, no one is accusing the chicken of cheating. You invented the language yet you can't understand it :P

Read my post again and this time think about what your going to say instead of just shooting your mouth off... no apology to chicken because no one accused him of cheating..

MinnakhtKan

MinnakhtKan

Stormingly Whistly Member

• 187 posts
  • WLM ID:minnair90@hotmail.com
This is getting hot. I agree with both of you guys.

Chicken said that every possible threat is preferably to be announced because it can be one, thats true.

Duckbilled said lots of times and with proof that he isn't, so thats it, maybe monitor his airline to see if he makes more money after that. But I think we should leave it like that. In my opinion, thats all we should have, if someone thinks theres an exploit, post it, then we'll see if its true or not. But rarely those accusations are just to blame someone for personal reasons etc. IF it isn't true, stop making the thread the other way round like Fredways did. Its just not nice to see someone trying to stop what happened once to happen again being blamed for noticing it.

Chicken

Chicken

• 291 posts

Originally posted by Fredways
Don't worry, Rubber Chicken knows all about the Navy Bug and frequently exploited it in the name of "research" while making tons of money....

I do not need to do research on it any more. I understand it thoroughly and do not exploit it.

...I've been around since the first run of this game and I don't even know how to activate the Navy bug. Rubber Chicken is the expert here on activating it. He's also the one dumping capacity on any number of routes....

I have been asked by the moderators to not describe how to activate it.

Originally posted by vimac
I second that one, ruber chicken is killing the profit on some of my routes as well.

TUS-PHX 17 Frequencies $15.00 while everybody else have prices between $70.00 to $160.00

PHX-TUS is a money loser for me, and the bug is not activated. Prices are low to try to get people off the route. It is called competition.

Originally posted by botachelli
Chicken used the bug to fight the Navy, chicken has grown to have the largest fleet. Chicken makes tons of money. CHicken comes on a route and makes profits, well disappear.

Fry the chicken... btw, duckbilled has done nothing wrong...

After monthly expenses, I am making $20000 per plane per day. What are you making per plane? I make lots of money because I have lots of planes (it that a difficult thing to understand)?

Originally posted by Crazy764
lol....how the tables have turned...

"Fry the chicken"...lol botachelli, good one.

See the signature of SA13 :D

Originally posted by travelnate
... But how else do you guys recommend ... filling 4 hours of time left on an aircraft?....

THAT IS THE MOST LIKELY CAUSE OF ACTIVATING THE NAVY BUG. People think that adding one more frequency to a route does not do anything, but when the frequency is a jumbo, the impact can be quite significant.

I do not intentionally fly my planes to the complete 22 hours. I have one plane on one route only, and only put a plane on a second route for three reasons...
a) gate holding for alliance partners
:P temporary gate holding until I can fill a plane with it
c) a plane has 9 hour or more hours remaining.

So my recommendation is do not fill the remaining 4 hours of an aircraft, especially if it is a jumbo. It can cause activation of the Navy bug by overloading the route. Remember, it takes 22 Beech 1900Ds to provide the same number of seats as one A340-600.

Originally posted by botachelli
Scalpel,
Relax, no one is accusing the chicken of cheating. You invented the language yet you can't understand it :D

Read my post again and this time think about what your going to say instead of just shooting your mouth off... no apology to chicken because no one accused him of cheating..

Thanks for defending me Scalpel, but I was not offended by Botachelli's post.

I have similar situations....

Hello Fred. Can you provide a list of routes where I am doing this?

Mexicana757

Mexicana757

• 148 posts
  • AIM Screen Name:dperez757
  • Yahoo ID:trekkerr757
Here we go again. To everyone who accuses each other of cheating and crap.

I have noticed that bug activates when there is a lot of capacity on a route. Any airline that comes in can activiate it. I have noticed this bug activate several times on routes from LAX less than 400 miles. For example the LAX-LAS route, everyone and their mother flies on it. at the moment i have zero load factor, yesterday it was at 100% loadfactor. Everyone is changing prices, coming and going out of this route, I think the bug activates by itself.

Another thing, airlines will suffer when there is a lot capacity coming from other airlines. If some airlines cant deal with this, get out of the route simple as that. There was an airline flying a 777 to another california city. My profits drop no matter what price I placed on the route I still was in the red.

If you blame Chicken for your profit loses on some of your routes then some of you have to do something about how you manage your airline. I can also blame other airlines on here for making me lose money on some routes but I'm not going to whine about it. It's a management game, if you can't deal with the comepetition then move out of the route.

AirKevin

AirKevin

Air Kevin Captain

• 929 posts
  • WLM ID:AirKevin747@yahoo.com
  • AIM Screen Name:AirKevin747
  • Yahoo ID:AirKevin747
SA, that was too funny.

Sunshine Airways CEO

Sunshine Airways CEO

• 568 posts

User's Awards

5    5      

Originally posted by Mexicana757
There was an airline flying a 777 to another california city. My profits drop no matter what price I placed on the route I still was in the red.

If you are talking about LAX-SJC, a 777 still has less seats on the route than lets say a Saab 2000 flying 7x. If you are talking about LAX-SFO (which I doubt) a 777 still holds less people than an A340-600, or a Q400 flown 7x, or come to think of it, 3 Q400s. BTW, that airline is the one Brunswicking the route (more to be annoying) and hasn't posted a net profit in a while :P

drv4truk

drv4truk

AE Winner

• Veteran
  • 2,273 posts
Sounds a lot like what you're doing when you put 777's on routes that you used to have 717's on. :P

Sunshine Airways CEO

Sunshine Airways CEO

• 568 posts

User's Awards

5    5      

Originally posted by drv4truk
Sounds a lot like what you're doing when you put 777's on routes that you used to have 717's on. :D

which part? as you should know, the 777 didn't brunswick the route :P

Guest_travelnate_*

Guest_travelnate_*
  • Guests
Hey,

I threw my sole (cry) 777 on a very short flight and i'm at a 95% load factor on it and I didn't even price gouge! :P

By the way, Penthouse, you can *have* LGA/BOS. Just don't be surprised to see my 717s and E170s on every single US domestic route out of LGA now. You kinda gave me & Cape Air a reason to quit that route and redeploy assets / streamline operations... which we have found much more profitable.

If that route was *SO* important to you, why weren't you this aggressive earlier?

By the way, I spent 3 years as an *actual* revenue manager, so I'm not an armchair CEO. Monitoring traffic and yields paid my bills (still does, but only on contract)... so if yer trying to take this game all serious, that's cool... but some of us are actually kinda enjoying doing this in a simulated environment (trust me, ATPCO filings are NOT fun, and neither is the automated eConnect system). Anytime I change fares or do any yield adjustments at the other airline can result in job losses, so here it's a lot more fun!

-n

[Edited on 8/13/2005 by travelnate]

botachelli

botachelli

• 32 posts
Chicken,
I posted that you put planes on routes and make money and others make less, it's because your strategy works. Just like you said, you add many aircraft and you make money. It was not saying you cheat. Yes, naturally others profits tumble when increased traffic on a specific routes pops up.

I repeat, I have never accused you of cheating. I have no reason to. You play within the rules of the game.

Fry the chicken was in reference to your previous slogan, "Don't fry the chicken, fly the chicken"

Chicken

Chicken

• 291 posts
Hi botachelli, no worries.:P

Chicken

Chicken

• 291 posts
Update on the Navy Bug on BOS-LGA

The Empire group has totally left BOS-LGA, and the bug is still active. I just reset my fare, and load factors went from 100% to 0%.

Penthouse Air has 2454 seats, all other airlines have 605 seats.

The above statement is 100% fact with no accusations. But how people interpret the facts can lead to some interesting conclusions.

Sunshine Airways CEO

Sunshine Airways CEO

• 568 posts

User's Awards

5    5      
well if you want to check out something odd, there is someone flying 2024 seats on LAX-SAN. just happens to be someone who also confronted someone for flying a widebody domesticaly

Chicken

Chicken

• 291 posts
Do you mean that the odd thing is that the 2024 seats are by a another Project AI member?

From my dealings with PSA (the airline with 2024 seats), I think he plays hard but fair. Between the three of us (PSA, Sunshine, and Chicken) we offer 78% of the seats. That route is so ever-changing that I have not kept up with it. And I intentionally buggered up that route by adding the ATR - profits have been crap since I did that (but I did not activate the bug). The ATR was added to get capacity down on the route - I see you have downsized from a 717 (106 seats) to an EMB190 (105 seats), so the idea was a partial success. :P)

Sunshine Airways CEO

Sunshine Airways CEO

• 568 posts

User's Awards

5    5      
the route had just normalized before PSA changed the A340 for the 330 with more frequencies. gets you thinking why someone would just start dumping seats on a route to the point where it can get bugged (even with the 9 dollar fare)

dyson_151_15

dyson_151_15

• 480 posts
hehe... reminds me o' ADL-MEL-SYD-BNE... there's a battle there... we're down to around $90 one way for each segment

Mexicana757

Mexicana757

• 148 posts
  • AIM Screen Name:dperez757
  • Yahoo ID:trekkerr757

Originally posted by S.A. 13
gets you thinking why someone would just start dumping seats on a route to the point where it can get bugged (even with the 9 dollar fare)

Maybe to get the competition annoyed. :P

No wonder my numbers are in the red on the LAX-SAN route. I was at the point of pulling out but didnt.

[Edited on 8/14/2005 by Mexicana757]

drv4truk

drv4truk

AE Winner

• Veteran
  • 2,273 posts

Originally posted by S.A. 13
the route had just normalized before PSA changed the A340 for the 330 with more frequencies. gets you thinking why someone would just start dumping seats on a route to the point where it can get bugged (even with the 9 dollar fare)

Maybe because I'm getting tired of other people that put 777 on LAX-SFO or all of those puny 2 aircraft airlines that are placing both aircraft on a route with multiple frequenices and $1 ticket prices. They are not making any money, so I would have to guess that somebody is either not very bright or has multiple airlines and can afford to lose money on a route. I am serious about replacing all of my Q400's and other aircraft out of LAX with B757's. It won't hurt me any and hopefully after an AE month or a year or whatever it takes, some of those airlines will move.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users