Photo

South East Asia's favorite destinations

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

9M-TKS

9M-TKS

• 888 posts
I'll be off to Bangkok for a few days, but before that, a week in Singapore. From Kuala Lumpur, SIN is just a 30 minute hop while BKK is a 2 hour hop from SIN. Will be flying one of the worlds leading airlines.

Stay tuned for the report :)

Flight Details
KUL-SIN Singapore Airlines/SilkAir (to be confirmed)
SIN-BKK Cathay Pacific B777-300 (swapped from -200)
BKK-SIN Singapore Airlines B777-200
SIN-KUL Singapore Airlines A330-300
Widebodies on regional hops? A norm in this part of the world
Posted Image

First to fly - Airbus A350, B787-9 in AE8

un1

un1

AE Developer

• AE Developer
  • 1,187 posts

User's Awards

2    3         

Widebodies on regional hops? A norm in this part of the world

Man thats lucky...

On the SIN-KUL equivalent here, only Q400s, CRJs, ERJs, A320s and 737s are operated on it (with the occasional 767 to transfer it between hubs).

R6 - NSW Airlines

9M-TKS

9M-TKS

• 888 posts

Man thats lucky...

On the SIN-KUL equivalent here, only Q400s, CRJs, ERJs, A320s and 737s are operated on it (with the occasional 767 to transfer it between hubs).

Before the arrival of the 777s, 747s were used on 50 min flights during Chinese new year here!
Posted Image

Clutch Airball

Clutch Airball

Hallo.

• 430 posts
Widebodies on reegional routes ared DEFINITELY a normal thing in SEAsia :thumbup:

Even in Brunei :D (Flying on anything but Royal Brunei airlines that is <_< )
Proud AE member since 15th August, 2010
Planes I've travelled on:
A319, A320, A330, A380, B767, B777-200, B777-200ER, B777-200LR, B777-300, B777-300ER, ERJ-175,

9M-TKS

9M-TKS

• 888 posts
At least they're leasing SQ's 772s. Which is bad news for me :( Less chances of flying their 772s
Posted Image

Guest_andre77_*

Guest_andre77_*
  • Guests
Have A nice trip :) ( should you see a Philippine Airlines A343 in SIN i rode that aircraft while doing SIN-MNL )

Clutch Airball

Clutch Airball

Hallo.

• 430 posts

At least they're leasing SQ's 772s. Which is bad news for me :( Less chances of flying their 772s

I love flying RBA 772s! :D

You could fly 'em to BWN (Not like you're going there)
Proud AE member since 15th August, 2010
Planes I've travelled on:
A319, A320, A330, A380, B767, B777-200, B777-200ER, B777-200LR, B777-300, B777-300ER, ERJ-175,

9M-TKS

9M-TKS

• 888 posts
I think KUL-BWN is only A319/A320 with an occasional 767.

Btw, hello from Singapore!
Posted Image

9M-TKS

9M-TKS

• 888 posts
I'm having a bit of trouble here. Why are my pictures so small when i preview them? I'd have to link to another forum if the problem cant be settled here :(
Posted Image

lshlarson

lshlarson

#1 Railfan

• 928 posts

SQ will be using their new A330-300Es mostly on these shorter routes, as well as their 777-200/300 aircraft.
Posted Image

9M-TKS

9M-TKS

• 888 posts
Kuala Lumpur International (KUL) -> Singapore Changi (SIN)

Airline/Flight: SilkAir MI333
Departs/Arrives: 1025/1120
Duration: 50 mins
Aircraft/Registration: Airbus A320/ 9V-SLM
Class: Economy (new seats)

I know this flight is probably flown thousands of times by fellow SQTalkers (incl me), but since I've taken a few pics :tongue3:

On this particular day, I have experienced my fastest checkin in KUL. I handed my passport to the smiling lady at the counter (she seemed to be the only one in SQ uniform, not MI's), and literally after a few clicks on the computer, my BP was handed to me. Within seconds!

Immigration was quick despite only 2 or 3 auto lanes working, and I was off to the bus station (the aerotrain which links the main terminal and the satellite terminal is not available). The process was orderly, and it actually gave me a good view of a few aircraft on the tarmac up close!

Today also marks the day where I saw the most A330s ever!

At the satellite terminal
Posted Image

Had 30 minutes to spare, so I was off planespotting! Here is a China Southern A320, bound for Guangzhou shortly.
Posted Image

Flag carrier Malaysia Airlines' B777-200. You can always find a few of them hanging around at any time of the day.
Posted Image

A few widebodies queuing up for takeoff (1 A330 in the background)
Posted Image

Interesting! Two Air Asia sisters parked away from the LCC. Also near their rivals. (another A330)
Posted Image

A Cathay 773
Posted Image

An Emirates 77W
Posted Image

My ride for today 9V-SLM[/QUOTE]
Posted Image

9M-TKS

9M-TKS

• 888 posts
Making a 160 degree turn to the southwest.
Posted Image

A cloudy day
Posted Image

In no time, we're in Singapore airspace.
Posted Image

What island is that? Indonesia or Singapore?
Posted Image

The skyscrapers downtown. Glad I'm seated in 20A for the views
Posted Image

MRT depot. Was this where the Swiss guy got into trouble?
Posted Image

Welcome to Singapore
Posted Image
Posted Image

9M-TKS

9M-TKS

• 888 posts
Two whalejets. Are they the grounded ones?
Posted Image

A private B732?
Posted Image

9V-SYB :) (I think)
Posted Image

And..... we're here. Good thing we're parked near the arrivals!
Posted Image

I know I know, a TR which is a bit long for a short flight, but thanks for reading! Next stop: Bangkok
Posted Image

9M-TKS

9M-TKS

• 888 posts
Here's the next segment, the pics were terribly hard to upload!

Singapore >> Bangkok
Flight:CX712
Aircraft:B777-300 (swapped 772) 4 year old
Dep: 1355 Arr: 1535
Seat:42A

(more pics if photobucket won't stop telling it cant upload. Can anyone help?)

When the OLCI started for CX712, I quickly snagged 42ABC as I could not reserve my seats earlier on (no thanks to redemption tickets). The seatmap showed the B772 layout, so row 42 seemed pretty decent. I arrived at T1 pretty early, early enough for them not to confirm the gate. The smiling lady handed over our boarding passes, but as SQFG advised me, CX is notorious for aircraft swaps, so I reconfirmed the equip with the staff. Surprisingly, I was told it was a 773! I knew their 773s are better equipped than the 772s, so I was pleasantly surprised.

With so much time to spare, I took out my camera and went plane spotting!

Valuair A320. Always wondered what's the diff with Jetstar
Posted Image

Here's something you dont see everyday - Air Seychelles B762. Never even knew there was such an airline :P
Posted Image

My ride - B-HNQ, delivered only in 2006 accordingly.
Posted Image

Posted Image

I was told the flight was only half full, which was a joke, considering the huge number of people waiting at D46. Security was swift, but this security officer who didn't seem to enjoy her job, was yelling "Line up! One STRAIGHT line or we won't let you in!". The boarding calls were as per normal, going by rows, but at the first boarding call everyone was rushing to board, and they seemed to get away with it. They even ran faster than the J pax. So I joined in the stampede :D

As I made my way to row 42, I was shocked to find it near the lav. Too late for seat changes, and I don't think there are many empty seats onboard anyway. It's short flight too.

Posted Image

These seats didn't look like the new seats, but they were almost like it. The seat slides out when you recline, there's AVOD, a cup holder, coat hook etc.

Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image

9M-TKS

9M-TKS

• 888 posts
Nice view of the engine
Posted Image

A Garuda B738 next to us
Posted Image

Posted Image

Here's a bird I wanna fly: A 737-900ER
Posted Image

Full thrust ahead! Somehow, the takeoff roll of the 773 isn't as "sporty" as the 772.
Posted Image

CX is asking for donations too. I'm fairly skeptical of where the money really ends up :tongue:
Posted Image
Posted Image

9M-TKS

9M-TKS

• 888 posts
Inflight
Posted Image

Lunch was fish and potatoes, plus fruits and a blueberry cheesecake (yuck)
Posted Image

Overall, it wasn't bad, except for the cake

I fell asleep and before I knew it, we landed in BKK. Had this view of these rare birds. Really wish I could be on the 747SP, but Tehran isn't quite a place I would wanna visit.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Welcome to Bangkok! As this flight continues to HKG, transit pax stay onboard, while pax leaving here need to present their BPs to the ground staff upon disembarketion.

First thing I heard at the airport was the annoying "End of the travellator! Ding! Ding!" :P

Posted Image

Immigration at BKK = long queues, but thankfully, today wasn't terribly crowded. At the baggage reclaim, this screen had crashed or something :rolleyes:
Posted Image

End of this segment. Thanks for reading! Next up, BKK-SIN
Posted Image

9M-TKS

9M-TKS

• 888 posts
Now for the SQ segment, back to SIN :)

Bangkok >> Singapore
Flight: SQ979
Aircraft: B777-200
Dep: 1830 Arr: 2155
Seat: 46K

I've been to BKK many times before, but never for a holiday, so this time, I went shopping at MBK, Siam Paragon, Siam Square, Central and everywhere in between (like on the streets :P), plus the floating market and the royal palace. Before I knew it, my bags were full to the brim!

I had tens of thousands of miles expiring end of this year, so I thought I'd burn some miles for me and buddies for this sector. Was going to redeem J but the booking engine won't allow 5 people per booking, so I saved the hassle of doing two bookings and just went with Y :)

BKK is closer to the city than I thought, and the taxi driver took us from the Holiday Inn in Ploenchit to the airport in just 25 mins. The fare was THB860, don't know if i was ripped off.

In Thailand, they really respect their King. Maybe because it was HM's birthday, so they had this pic on the windows of the airport
Posted Image

Walking to the checkin
Posted Image

As a *G member, I skipped the long queues to check-in. Ahh, the pleasures of being a an EG :P SQ979 is also codeshared by LX and MS
Posted Image

To the SKL!
Posted Image

It's rather small, but is a nice place to chill before boarding the flight nevertheless. It's also stocked with Haagen Daaz :D
Posted Image

Up next: The flight
Posted Image

9M-TKS

9M-TKS

• 888 posts
The FAs were really friendly today, and especially helpful to children.
Posted Image

Warm towels given out on this flight, even for this short flight. SQ really sets the standards for pre-takeoff service :thumbsup:
Posted Image

A Thai 772 next to us.
Posted Image

Posted Image

The new safety video. Terrible if you ask me. I miss the old video's music :(
Posted Image

Taking off into the night sky
Posted Image

IFE turned on pretty soon
Posted Image
Posted Image

9M-TKS

9M-TKS

• 888 posts
Some Y seats have the two nets next to the screen while some don't. How can I tell which ac has which?
Posted Image

Cabin view
Posted Image

Today's flight time is just nice to catch up on my favorite comedy episodes, especially The Simpsons.
Posted Image

Meal service. The carts were stocked with alcoholic drinks today.
Posted Image

Dinner
Bangkok to Singapore

Roll
Roll and butter

Main course
Fish with potatoes

Dessert
Blueberry Cake (I think?)

Drinks
Drinking Water/ Coffee-Tea

I chose the Fish and potatoes (CX serves the same thing too), but it ran out, and the FA offered me lamb (it may have been a crew meal or J food) instead. I accepted the offer, and she went into the galley. When she came back, she told me I was the lucky Y pax who got the last serving of Fish :smile:

Posted Image

The taste was rather bland, and the dessert was as bad as CX's cake
Posted Image

9M-TKS

9M-TKS

• 888 posts
Time flies, and soon we begin our descent into SIN.
Posted Image

Very few connecting flights from T2 tonight. Most were in T3. Seems we're arriving at T2.
Posted Image

The approach was rather scary. The pilot told us it was raining at SIN but by the time we were there there the rain had stopped, but the flight was still very bumpy. We were being tossed around a lot, and an FA nearly fell. Landing lights on, and all I could see was clouds, until the final approach. The pilots had a hard time getting the aircraft lined up to land, and then the engines went into full thrust. I presumed it was a missed approach, but then moments later the pilots pulled back on the thrust to idle, and then touchdown!

Back in Changi
Posted Image

There was a Jett8 747 behind us, followed by a Garuda B738 seconds behind us. Naturally, the pilots didn't want to linger around the runway for long, so we braked hard and turned on the nearest exit. I've heard this joke that if an MH aircraft lands with an AK aircraft queuing to land, the MH pilots take their time to leave the runway. Interesting if true :D

Parked next to SVN
Posted Image

After leaving the aircraft and walking towards the arrivals, I noticed the all the travellators sealed off with an officer standing nearby. Then there was a security check! We queued for a long time, and it seemed this check was even more strict than the checks before departure.

End of this segment, next up: a short hop back to KUL! Thanks for reading :)
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users