5 replies to this topic

Elchie

Elchie

AE Developer

• Veteran
  • 376 posts
  • WLM ID:mail@elchie.eu
Hi everybody,

I startet implementation for a new (more realistic) fuel calculation. The new way of being will be introduced with the next reset, additional where are ATC handling fees upcoming. I will introduce both to give you a hint.

1. ATC Handling fees

I took the formula of DFS (the German aviation authority, a German version of the FAA) and changed it a little bit:

Formula for start/landing fees: sqrt(MTOW) * factor
Formula for enroute fees: sqrt(MTOW) * (distance in miles/50) * factor

First the start/landing formula will be applied two times for every flight (once for start, once for landing) - so for a round trip you have to pay this fee four times.

As you see the MTOW of an aircraft is influencing the result, I collected the MTOW data of all aircrafts within the game, in the new version you will see this data also on aircraft information pages and when buying an aircraft.

Very important: the factor. This factor depends on the MTOW. The principle is: Heavy aircraft with a high maximum take-off weight (MTOW) will result in higher fees. There is a simple rule:

• MTOW < 125 t = 75 $
  • MTOW >= 125 t = 125 $
  • MTOW >= 250 t = 150 $
  • MTOW >= 350 t = 200 $

(This values are not fixed)

For example the fees for a Embraer 190 LR (MTOW: 51.8 t) on a roundtrip between LHR and FCO (896.5 miles) will be:

• ATC factor: 75 $
  • Start and landing fee for one flight: 1079.58 $
  • Enroute fee for one flight: 9678.36 $
  • ATC fee for round-trip: 21515,88

2. Fuel calculation

There will be a new fuel calculation, the old was based on some assumptions on the TSFC - these assumptions went wrong for long flights (so perhaps a Boeing 747 resulted in a fuel load on a long trip which exceeded the max. fuel load of the aircraft).

Now the calculation is a little bit more realistic (but not realistic) - it depends on the max. fuel load and the range - and 30 minutes as taxi reserve.

To mention the example flight LHR-FCO (round trip) with an E190LR again:

• Old fuel calculation: 91724 lbs
  • New fuel calculation: 40142 lbs
  • You will save about 20.000 $ for fuel on this flight

For short/mid-hauls normally the new ATC fees will assimilate the fuel savings, but on long hauls this behaviour will be different - so more long flights will be profitable.

For the future there will be another, more realistic fuel calculation which respects different fuel burns in different flight levels and flight states (the take-off will require more fuel than the landing and so on). This very complex model is on the agenda, the first step will be the mentioned range-max-fuel-model.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Spenser

Spenser

Global Forum Moderator/Data Collector

• Veteran
  • 516 posts
The only problem I see with the extra fees is if someone were to open a route between say JFK and fly to a small airport like FNT or GRR, they wouldn't make any profit, which severely minimizes the amount of regional airports available. Also, which new fuel calculation can allow more planes to land at more airports(ie, 757 at DCA or LGA)? Do you mean you will be introducing a new one later?
Flown in-A319, A320, 717, 737-300, 737-700, 737-800, 757-200, 757-300, 767-200ER, 767-300, 767-300ER, MD-11, MD-82, MD-83, MD-88, MD-90, L-1011 Tristar, DC-10, CRJ-200, CRJ-700, CRJ-900, Dash 8 (100 and 300), Saab 340, ERJ-175

Elchie

Elchie

AE Developer

• Veteran
  • 376 posts
  • WLM ID:mail@elchie.eu
A possibility is a discount on atc handling fees for small airports. So for example if you fly from/to an smaller airport (let's say less than 1.5 million passengers per year) you will get an discount of 20% (if you fly from a small airport to another small one this would result in 40%). This would perhaps push the usage of smaller airports.

The new fuel calculation itself doesn't allow to land at an airport with a shorter runway with a long-runway-model. But this new model is the base for this feature which will be implemented soon too.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

un1

un1

AE Developer

• AE Developer
  • 1,187 posts

User's Awards

2    3         
I think its great, just two questions.. Is "miscellaneous" airport fees going to be implemented? Also which new aircraft will be added?

R6 - NSW Airlines

The Nova Group

The Nova Group

• 30 posts
You mention that these changes will take place in the next reset, so my question is, when are you planing this next reset???

The Nova Group

The Nova Group

• 30 posts
I'm sorry, I read the other convo after...I know now :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users