88 replies to this topic

Elchie

Elchie

AE Developer

• Veteran
  • 376 posts
  • WLM ID:mail@elchie.eu
Hi folks,

as you all mentioned: The game is very slow, some players can't login, others are waiting a half hour after a route change for an response.

There are too many requests for this one server. We will split it up in a few steps. To do this without any loss its required to stop the game right now for a few days.

Planning looks like:

• Move the database to another server
  • Move the auto-load-script and massive recalculation of automatic prices asynchronously to the second server
  • Move as many staff as possible to the client (eg. use Google Charts Javascript-library for diagrams and charts; this chart will be generated by your browser and not by the server)

When the first step is done, the game will come back online, I will announce this here. This is necessary to see, if the performance is ok - the game-server has to retrieve all the data from the another server, we have to see the delay in "real life". If the performance of this solution is too bad, we have to check for other ways of doing.

Expect the game back online soon.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Conor

Conor

Angry Irishman

• AE Moderator
  • 1,404 posts
Do you need help with anything? i doubt i can do technical stuff but you may find some use for me

a

a

• 484 posts
  • WLM ID:ross_mcintosh1@hotmail.com
This is good to hear that its getting improved, speed was causing me some time problems lol
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Mdlewry

Mdlewry

Waking Up In Orlando ;)

• 57 posts
I Hope The Game Is Paused; I Cant Afford To loose any more money. I Want to buy a new aeroplane and all my routes except one are automatic, so i dont want to loose the amount of money i am making in one day.
MDL Atlantic Bringing The World To You.

Glennos

Glennos

toowit towoo

• Veteran
  • 1,683 posts
  • WLM ID:badtothebone99@gmail.com

I Hope The Game Is Paused; I Cant Afford To loose any more money. I Want to buy a new aeroplane and all my routes except one are automatic, so i dont want to loose the amount of money i am making in one day.

The database will be backed up so you should not lose anything :) And anyway it's not real money so don't worry too much!

Glad to see we might get is running smoother as it's pointless carrying on the way it was.

Tobias :-Clap
Posted Image

Steve752

Steve752

Freedom Airways

• 12 posts

This is good to hear that its getting improved, speed was causing me some time problems lol

Haha yeah me as well :) I can't wait for everything to be back up to speed!:airplane
Posted Image

--
Steve
CEO
Freedom Airways (Sim 2 Beta)

Chaostah

Chaostah

• 181 posts
the game is paused... nothing will change in-game

Maestro69

Maestro69

El Original Mod, AE Beta Tester

• AE Moderator
  • 4,010 posts

User's Awards

3    3   
"Ok, who has been playing with the blue cable?" :)

Anyways, i gotta agreee. AE over the past 1-2 years, especially sim2, cant cope with the huge load of opening route, recalculating, etc... which the game should be doing with ease. Im assuming the main cause is the code that the game was written in, which is probably NOT as efficient and smooth as it could be, thus this mess.

Elchie, just wondering, are the servers able to handle the load or would AE need to move to say a faster, efficient server which could cost a bit more?? :puzzled:

dleLlDN.png?raw=1

weestrer

weestrer

• 73 posts

User's Awards

3    2      
If you need any help in the coding or anything to do with the development I would like to help, I have had some training in webdesign and pcsupport. So i know some. I also can build a server and run it for you. and whatnot.

Elchie

Elchie

AE Developer

• Veteran
  • 376 posts
  • WLM ID:mail@elchie.eu

"Ok, who has been playing with the blue cable?" :)

Anyways, i gotta agreee. AE over the past 1-2 years, especially sim2, cant cope with the huge load of opening route, recalculating, etc... which the game should be doing with ease. Im assuming the main cause is the code that the game was written in, which is probably NOT as efficient and smooth as it could be, thus this mess.

Elchie, just wondering, are the servers able to handle the load or would AE need to move to say a faster, efficient server which could cost a bit more?? :puzzled:

I would agree to both:

- We require a code-review. David will do this with the auto-lf-script in summer, but thats not the only point. Much more code has to be checked. For clarification: The code is not bad - but at my work last company we called such code "historical grown". Code started easy, new features got implemented - and now we have a slow, evil walrus.

- Faster servers (plural!) are required - which will cost much more. I don't expect that Miller will invest more in this project as he is doing now. So a solution would be difficult. Perhaps we should collect money or I will talk to Miller about leasing the project idea - so he will allow me to put ae to several servers. I dunno right know.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

weestrer

weestrer

• 73 posts

User's Awards

3    2      
Well, I know if you go you probably can do hosting on the net for cheap rather than run your own servers, there are ways to build a huge site for pretty cheap on websites, such as godaddy, jumpline and many more.

Josh426

Josh426

• 20 posts
hosting on cheaper servers on the net is not always the greatest option. you never know what else is on those servers and end up with slower connections.

i believe there are enough loyal repeat players here that if they all ( me included ) donated a small bit, you could end up buying another server. yes everyone enjoys playing for free but there are a lot of people spending hours of there own time just for you to be able to do that. put up a new like for a server donation and everyone should chip in.

weestrer

weestrer

• 73 posts

User's Awards

3    2      
I understand I was just talking about a possible solution. I would pitch in, I cant tonight i dont have my online payment card on me but I will donate what I can. I know they are expensive I have ran sites myself as well.

paliair

paliair

• 129 posts
Can we get a ball park price for a new server or servers and post it? This would help us in knowing how much needs to be raised.

Maestro69

Maestro69

El Original Mod, AE Beta Tester

• AE Moderator
  • 4,010 posts

User's Awards

3    3   

I would agree to both:

- We require a code-review. David will do this with the auto-lf-script in summer, but thats not the only point. Much more code has to be checked. For clarification: The code is not bad - but at my work last company we called such code "historical grown". Code started easy, new features got implemented - and now we have a slow, evil walrus.

- Faster servers (plural!) are required - which will cost much more. I don't expect that Miller will invest more in this project as he is doing now. So a solution would be difficult. Perhaps we should collect money or I will talk to Miller about leasing the project idea - so he will allow me to put ae to several servers. I dunno right know.

Well, the point about the code-review, i was advised by David that we would look into it into the summer. Look, its easy to dish the code because it isnt able to handle what we want, but Miller did a pretty good job with what he had and where he wanted to be. Just needs to be "touched-up". And i think its Sim2's archilles heel, due to the fact with the auto-pricing function, it just cant handle its pressures. Sim1 never had this issue and always ran fast.. only around say month change, when planes got delivered and such and only really got saturated towards the end of the round when most routes where covered... (i know this from previous experience).

And in regards to the server, i mean, i would chip in between $100-$200 USD a year, if that is what is needed to get a top-notch server/s, to the game can run more effectively. I have been here the longest and always believed in AE and i will put my $$$ on the table if need be to make sure it goes ahead.

If we get around 100 players who could donate $50 USD in one-hit, that would be around $5k for 1-2 servers and bandwith for the game, to allow for the necessary access and upgrade that AE deserves. Miller is not alone here, as a community, im sure we can support his past efforts which such donations. :)

dleLlDN.png?raw=1

flightsimer

flightsimer

Senior Member/Beta Tester

• 507 posts

User's Awards

2    2   
wow i wasnt having any troubles speed whise...
CEO North Eastern Airways
22217 sim1- Boeing 747-100 LAUNCH CUSTOMER!
17904 sim2
BETA TESTER- #1 airline, only if it actually counted lol

flightsimer

flightsimer

Senior Member/Beta Tester

• 507 posts

User's Awards

2    2   
hey also, i just saw an add on yahoo's homepage the other day for a server that you get unlimited bandwith. i dont know how much it was though.
CEO North Eastern Airways
22217 sim1- Boeing 747-100 LAUNCH CUSTOMER!
17904 sim2
BETA TESTER- #1 airline, only if it actually counted lol

a

a

• 484 posts
  • WLM ID:ross_mcintosh1@hotmail.com

And in regards to the server, i mean, i would chip in between $100-$200 USD a year, if that is what is needed to get a top-notch server/s, to the game can run more effectively. I have been here the longest and always believed in AE and i will put my $$$ on the table if need be to make sure it goes ahead.

If we get around 100 players who could donate $50 USD in one-hit, that would be around $5k for 1-2 servers and bandwith for the game, to allow for the necessary access and upgrade that AE deserves. Miller is not alone here, as a community, im sure we can support his past efforts which such donations. :)

Well being a lazy student i don't have a huge amount of money, but I have been coming and going from the game since 2005, so I would chip in whatever I could to help the game be improved
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Conor

Conor

Angry Irishman

• AE Moderator
  • 1,404 posts
I would chip in but im only 16 i have no money of my own and my parents wont let me :)

travelhouse

travelhouse

AE Winner

• Veteran
  • 2,066 posts
  • WLM ID:travelhouse007@gmail.com

I would chip in but im only 16 i have no money of my own and my parents wont let me :)

Well, get out and sell newspapers on the street corner like we had to when we was your age.....:)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I'm a moderator, that's all.

Consult me for AE moderation issues.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users