41 replies to this topic

LOT 737-300

LOT 737-300

• 274 posts
  • WLM ID:kw5024@cs.com
  • AIM Screen Name:kw5024
  • Yahoo ID:lot767300

Hey, happens in the real world.... guess no one told Flyworld air :P :(

Yup, an example that comes to my mind was the large competition PanAm and Air Florida (on the FL routes) in the 1980s. I think Ed Acker(sp?) was behind PA's helm at the time (should add that he once held a higher position at Air Florida.) It was a major nail in the coffin for Air Florida (the well publicized palm 90 crash was also one thing that helped it fall, oddly enough, if it wasn't for the crash, most wouldn't know who Howard Stern is (hopefully some of you have heard how he called them asking for hte fare from DCA to the 14th street Bridge.)

FlyWorld Air

FlyWorld Air

Olly - Data Collector

• 605 posts
Lol, no I mean in the REAL world there's probably never going to be 2x A380's on a route from FLL to OKC, now someone grant me that.
Posted Image

LOT 737-300

LOT 737-300

• 274 posts
  • WLM ID:kw5024@cs.com
  • AIM Screen Name:kw5024
  • Yahoo ID:lot767300

Lol, no I mean in the REAL world there's probably never going to be 2x A380's on a route from FLL to OKC, now someone grant me that.

Yeah, but this game dosn't really follow real world stats for numbers between specific cities, if it did I assure you, only a handful of airports would make a profit from almost every city. I should add though, there was a time when nearly every US city with a runway that was large got a Widebody from a major US airline at the time.

Maestro69

Maestro69

El Original Mod, AE Beta Tester

• AE Moderator
  • 4,010 posts

User's Awards

3    3   

But i can tell u in Japan, JAL and ANA use Boeing 747Ds (seating around 500-600 people) on domestic routes. Most US intl carriers use their "widebodies" aircraft across the US on hub routes to reposition aircraft, which people actually fly on. Then in Europe, airlines like Lufthansa and Iberia have use their A340-600s on short routes across Europe due to certain circumstances.

And just wait for Emirates and some other airlines to get their A380s. They will surely use em on certain short haul sectors to mainly train pilots and staff, but also will use em to get a bigger share of the market...

Oh well... hope i havent bragged for too long :P

(PS. Yes i know, probably havent answered ur question, but probably justified why widebodies are used on short routes.. :( )

dleLlDN.png?raw=1

FlyWorld Air

FlyWorld Air

Olly - Data Collector

• 605 posts
You raise a good point, however does an A380 even fit at airports such as OKC and FLL?
Posted Image

Maestro69

Maestro69

• AE Moderator
  • 4,010 posts

User's Awards

3    3   
True, u wont be A380s flying to those airports, then again, AE is a game and sometimes, we gotta distinguish between real life and a virtual simulated world :P

dleLlDN.png?raw=1

watchdog

watchdog

Senior AE Manager

• 534 posts

we gotta distinguish between real life and a virtual simulated world :P

miller had every idea to try make ae like the real world little did he know that a game like ae does take time and many more developers than 1 or 2 scripting to perfect and that time or other/s scripting he has lost plus the players to even keep ae alive

the game is DEAD

time to place dirt on the grave and a rose for the female former players

Posted Image
Posted Image

Timsher

Timsher

Just a ling

• 573 posts
  • WLM ID:Timsher@gmail.com
  • Yahoo ID:Timsher19

miller had every idea to try make ae like the real world little did he know that a game like ae does take time and many more developers than 1 or 2 scripting to perfect and that time or other/s scripting he has lost plus the players to even keep ae alive

the game is DEAD

Forgotten, but not gone

forums.airlineempires
Posted Image

sim.airlineempires
Posted Image

Hopefully there will be a reset soon, but until that time I'll spend my little bit of free time I have playing FSEconomy (Which should be noted, before anyone has a fit, is not a competing product to AE, but a freeware FS9/FSX addon in which you haul freight... in little prop planes...).
Posted Image

watchdog

watchdog

Senior AE Manager

• 534 posts

Forgotten, but not gone

forums.airlineempires
Posted Image

sim.airlineempires
Posted Image

Tim, 90% of those stats are search engines and robots scanning the net unless you are in the forum controll panel and have stats on the unique data that shows the actual views those numbers are crap (Sorry)
Posted Image

Timsher

Timsher

Just a ling

• 573 posts
Yeah, that could be the case. But I think the numbers are a good reflection based upon how they line up with the stats at the bottom of the forum page. Plus I believe the source of where I got these automatically factors out bot like activity, due to it's nature.

Posted Image
Unique forum visitors according to the stats I found: 70+
Active members based upon the forum's software: 78
Two numbers from completely separate sources which agree with each other, in science that usually means you're on the right track and the data is good.
Posted Image

Timsher

Timsher

Just a ling

• 573 posts
Found this while messing around on Alexa, the blue line is AE.net, the red and yellow are one of it's free and paid competitors respectively (yes one of those is the "red" game), and the off-green is jetphotos.net for reference.
Posted Image

Seems this game is only "dead" when it's in the later years (and even then it still keeps paces it's competitors).

Now I do want to clarify, if miller never resets the game, or we get another Juan Trippe like hacker and nothing is done again, then the game will die a quiet and lonely death. However, come a reset and those first 8 years or so, this is the place to be!
Posted Image

Maestro69

Maestro69

• AE Moderator
  • 4,010 posts

User's Awards

3    3   
I believe that if we do get a reset and since things seem to have settle down in the game, things will get back up to a normal period, where people will come back and enjoy playing the game, without those who ruin the game for others.

Of course, u are always going to get people complaining about the top 10.. so.. :P

dleLlDN.png?raw=1

YamazaruNinja

YamazaruNinja

• 463 posts
We need to have people who have never been in the top 10 a chance to get at least somewhere close. I'm saying that I've made it to #30 but some jerks kept on making my rank fall. It's in the mid 80s now. I'm not blaming anybody, but we should only make slow additions to our airlines until Year 1 or 2 in the game. BTW, a reset would be great.

FlyWorld Air

FlyWorld Air

Olly - Data Collector

• 605 posts
Actually, I am a webmaster and having 78 active members and 70+ unique visitors are in no way related. You see when someone views a website a cookie gets logged onto their computer. This is a unique visitor. When that visitor goes to the website again the website checks for the cookie and if it is found, it discards the visitor as not being a unique one. If there are 70 unique visitors then most of these are going to be dymainc web crawlers or 'spiders' from search engines like Google that don't store cookies on their own server. At least this is what I think happens, in a very basic an dumbed down way.
Posted Image

Timsher

Timsher

Just a ling

• 573 posts

I am a webmaster

http://www.timsher.com/ACE Me too, I have a few various things I run off of my domain, ACE Forums being the only AE related one. Before that I was the owner of StarrScenery.com which I published all my FS9 scenery on... (unfortunately I did not have the funds to keep that site up)

then most of these are going to be dymainc web crawlers or 'spiders' from search engines like Google

That is true if you're using a default website counter stats, but normally only the admin has access to those numbers, and that would not be me in this case. I got the numbers from the ad server that wants to sell space for the site, which factors out bot traffic since it wouldn't make sense for them to pay for a view everytime google indexes the site. (On a side note if you really want an interesting web experience try switching your Useragent to Googlebot, and you'll basically see what google sees when it visits a page).

78 active members and 70+ unique visitors are in no way related

It is true that they are not directly related, however they are related. For one you can never have Active members > Unique visitors (assuming no one has browser issues). Also assuming the people visiting the forums mainly consist of the people with AE forum accounts, and the stats factor out bots, then the numbers should be close to each other, this seems to be the case.

Now that you've brought it up I'm curious as to what the forum decides qualifies as an "active member," with this answer we could probably get pretty close to knowing the actual activity here.

But I digress, my point is that watchdog's public "burial" of this site is premature and I think I've established, from three independent sources, that the activity here is such that when the game gets reset (and barring man made hacker disasters), there will still be a lot of people who will want to play.

Now is this saying we as a group are not unhappy that nothing has been updated, that glaring holes exist in security, and that no one is around to take care of the place when the game's running, not at all. But it does say that this game is not dead yet, and given the proper care it could return to it's glory days.
Posted Image

watchdog

watchdog

Senior AE Manager

• 534 posts

not dead yet, and given the proper care it could return to it's glory days.

That will happen if Miller comes back and keeps the handy-work going but no sign of him so looks like he has given up on ae

What a Shame
Posted Image

watchdog

watchdog

Senior AE Manager

• 534 posts
Tim, this is what my web shows on the Todays Posts.

Thread / Thread Starter Last Post Replies Views Forum
Sticky: News ( 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
EC-JNT Yesterday 09:04 PM
by EC-JNT 311 2,558 Industry News
The threads below have not been updated since your last visit or since forums have been marked read.
overloading on routes ( 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
dansatak Yesterday 07:19 AM
by watchdog 35 36 Game Discussion

35 / 36

Meaning that there has been only 36 views of this topic, yet 35 replies

Wouldn't this say that there are little if any left viewing the forums?

Shame on Miller to let it decay like this.
Posted Image

AeroJet

AeroJet

• 149 posts
  • WLM ID:JasonCalcagno@hotmail.com
  • Website:http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r319/AeroMaxx/Echo_logo.jpg
I have let my airline sit for almost a month now because of the neglect on AE. It is a great game, but Miller REALLY needs to reorganize the game back to its former glory.

BTW, when was the last time Miller was spotted viewing the forums?
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
PlatinumWings Website: http://platinumwings.21.forumer.com/

ID: 13480

dansatak

dansatak

• 37 posts
the games about dead, ive broke into the top 60 for 1st time, but constantly fighting 1 particular top 5 airline who keeps putting 5 or 6 heavy birds on my routes causing me to lose more money and close these routes

jonair8

jonair8

• 44 posts
I guess Juan really did kind of kill this game, Miller doesn't wanna take care of it any more.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users